electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
iPhone - first impressions
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: iPhone - first impressions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an iPhone yesterday.

I love this thing. It's a life changer for me. I looked at many other phones in the last couple of days, but the iPhone is just much cooler then most of them.

First the negatives:

Brower (Safari) doesn't support Flash or Java.

No voice recorder

Ringtones must come from iTunes - you can't design your own. (IFAIK)
    [edit - see below, this is no longer the case with recent software upgrade]

Camera not good enough to replace point and shoot camera, but better than any other cell phone camera I've had so far.

No cut and paste.

The positives are vast.

The touch sensitive screen works well. It looks great. Browsing is very easy.

Performance is tolerable - good enough.

Email client works well with my IMAP server.

The phone is superb, very easy to read the numbers and the contact information.

The iPod part is fab. The sound is much better than my iRiver H10. Excellent ear buds provided with mic. You can receive calls while listening to music. Sounds great with Sennheizer HD485 headphones. Plenty of drive. Very clean.

There's a great weather application. Easy to customize so I can always see what the weather is like in Berkeley, Minneapolis, Trondheim, or The Hague.

Google Maps is very well integrated.

IMG_0013.jpg
 Description:
iPhone pic
 Filesize:  470.12 KB
 Viewed:  265 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited by mosc on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

I´m still waiting for an official announcement for the iPhone in Norway.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That pic is not too bad I'd say, the details are a bit muddy, but with some sun I bet it would be a lot better. the colors are credible. Hah, I can even hear the sound of the water spewing bronze in the pond Very Happy

No sound recording is disappointing ... does it have video?

After the (Tom's?) post about the device being opened for 3rd party software it seemed like interesting to me.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it using UMTS or GPRS?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

No movies. I don't know about those letters.

No movies is a minus too. sigh

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No movies? Doesn´t the iPhone do H264?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I don't know about those letters. :

The letters are from ETSI, which is EU I guess ... .o .. hh, erm right .. is it 2.5GP or 3GP?

Any odd modem could do CSD for quite while now, or 2GP or 9600 Baud, and that just works. Then a few years ago we got GPRS and 2.5 GP being able to do 38k4 I think, or maybe 56k, and worse coverage, over both space and time. Then we got UMTS, or 3GP, and I never tried that, and I don't know a data rate for it either.

I should be an expert at this, as I write programs to interface with GSM shit to earn a living. Unfortunately specs nowadays are more like mystics, in that I find it impossible to hold a working knowledge of hundreds of thousands of pages.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
mosc wrote:
I don't know about those letters. :

The letters are from ETSI, which is EU I guess ... .o .. hh, erm right .. is it 2.5GP or 3GP?

Any odd modem could do CSD for quite while now, or 2GP or 9600 Baud, and that just works. Then a few years ago we got GPRS and 2.5 GP being able to do 38k4 I think, or maybe 56k, and worse coverage, over both space and time. Then we got UMTS, or 3GP, and I never tried that, and I don't know a data rate for it either.

I should be an expert at this, as I write programs to interface with GSM shit to earn a living. Unfortunately specs nowadays are more like mystics, in that I find it impossible to hold a working knowledge of hundreds of thousands of pages.

To answer the original question, the iPhone as marketed in America is supposed to be GPRS/EDGE. When it comes to the UK this month, it will also be GPRS/EDGE. I don't really think EDGE is any better than GPRS at this point, until the underlying data networks get some bandwidth. O2 (the iPhone carrier in the UK) still runs their entire network through one APN, data speeds never get above an effective 56k. My Blackberry (also on O2) has just started announcing EDGE connections, although I don't see any benefit of that at this point.

Home,My Studio,and another view
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, some vowels to fill out those acronyms.

GPRS = General Packet Relay Services. In the GSM standard, there was always a 9600 baud "modem" channel. Later they figured out how to compress it to get 14.4k from that channel. GPRS is a technique of bonding channels so that you can add them up to get a theoretical 150k or so of bandwidth. You only get this if you have a phone with at least 10 transmit/receive channels, of which none I know exist. Also that precludes the voice channel. Also that precludes the obvious fact that your usual cell tower only has 128 or so slots in it, and you hogging 10 of them is very unlikely.

EDGE = Enhanced Data GSM Environment. Supposedly you get 384k bandwidth at optimal conditions. All it really is is 2.5G.

The iPhone does not, as far as I know, "do" 3G, ie UMTS.

Home,My Studio,and another view
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone - first impressions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I got an iPhone yesterday.

First the negatives:

Brower (Safari) doesn't support Flash or Java.

No voice recorder

Ringtones must come from iTunes - you can't design your own. (IFAIK)

Camera not good enough to replace point and shoot camera, but better than any other cell phone camera I've had so far.

No cut and paste.

Well you'll be pleased to know that Apple have just opened the iPhone up to 3rd party development. I can't wait to see what happens. I know that Olivier Gillet of Bhajis Loops fame is already working on porting a brand new version (which will probably be compatible with Logic) of BL's to the iPhone and iPod Touch. I think it's highly probable that a voice recorder will come (I mean a voice recorder is indespensible isn't it?). I bet too that Flash will follow. I don't really care much for Java- but that will probably come too.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it can play movies, just doesn't record them with its camera.

Writing this with it now.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

hmm 3rd party development........ Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

Are you still getting on with the IPhone?

I'm thinking of getting one and am undecided at the mo Confused

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Off topic, but of interest:

How to create custom ringtones in GarageBand 4.1.1

Yes!
Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an US iphone and "freed" it up for usage in germany prior to t-mobile, as this carrier sucks. i am using alice (VNO of o2) and happy with it.
since i got it jailbreaked, i got all kinds of applications for the phone.
i use it every day, once you get used to the typing it's great. what is not
so good is the lack of bluetooth support for other devices than handsfree devices.

Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed
I'm so spazzed out right now that I spent a really long time looking at that picture trying to find the ipod in it.

Embarassed

I need a vacation

Blue Hell wrote:
That pic is not too bad I'd say, the details are a bit muddy, but with some sun I bet it would be a lot better. the colors are credible. Hah, I can even hear the sound of the water spewing bronze in the pond Very Happy

No sound recording is disappointing ... does it have video?

After the (Tom's?) post about the device being opened for 3rd party software it seemed like interesting to me.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

.. didn't I read somewhere that someone made camcorder software ... shit I deleted that email, I'm pretty sure though ...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently iPhone can now record movies;

http://monsterandfriends.com/?q=node/50

So there you go! Cool

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the problem with the IPhone now is that the firmware is now unhackable.

The early models had a security flaw where the code encryption key could be found/bypassed, I think the new firmware doesnt have this issue so you can not run software like this.

When the proper apple sdk comes out next year maybe we will see something everyone can use.

CHeers

Andy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Howard,

Hmmm. I thought I made that clear. Yes I have an iPhone. One good thing, the latest version of the firmware allows uploading of custom ringtones.

So, after a month or two of having one, I'm delighted with it. I'm sure there will be applications for it next year, but there isn't much I really need that it doesn't already have.

I did have a little problem with it loosing all of the music in the iPod section but calling Apple support was a very good experience. They fixed the problem instantly by explaining how to do a reset. The answered the phone promptly with a native English speaker who knew what he was doing. No bullshit, just good service. No account number needed because they could see my caller id and knew immediately who I was.

I do wish the Safari had Flash and Java though. It's a drag that it doesn't. Still, I can listen to mp3s posted on electro-music.com any time I want.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, yes, I don't like the iTunes program. The more I use it the less I like it. You can't use any other software, unfortunately. It only lets you use it with one iPod at a time. My daughter was visiting and I wanted to upload some of my own, non-copyrighted, mp3 files from my iTunes to her iPod. iTunes wouldn't work with her iPod unless we checked off an option to erase all of the music on her iPod. Very very very unfriendly.

There as many other problems with iTunes as well, but I won't go into that at the moment.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Howard,

Hmmm. I thought I made that clear. Yes I have an iPhone.

Hi,

When I said "Are you still getting on with the IPhone?" I meant do you still like it rather than have you got one, English eh!

Glad you still like it, I think I may get one on Saturday and see how it goes.

All the best

Andy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I"m not obsessed with this thing, but I have been reading a lot about it on the web. My take is that people who unlock or run hacked OS's or programs are having a lot of problems. If you plan on that, you should be ready for spending a lot of your time with it.

Also, one other thing. If you use the native cell carrier, like AT&T over here, the integration with the iPhone is really slick. The voice mail works superbly and you can see your minutes with the push of a button. Your minutes and account status are sent immediately via SMS. I doubt if you'd get that stuff with a non-sanctioned carrier.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OH, if you get it, let us know. I may take a shot at an iPhone version of the electro-music.com media index web page. Might be more fun for me if there was someone else who would use it besides me. Apple supplies really good documentation on how to develop web applications for it and the built in QuickTime player works flawlessly.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

OK, now I understand that and it does use EDGE, but it also has built in WIFI which it uses first if available. At least around where I live, there is a very great deal of open WIFI around. In NYC, I found it virtually everywhere. When you are on WIFI it is much faster, of course. Still, not as fast as they show on the commercials. Crying or Very sad

Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: