electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Using A6 to control VST - NRPN
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mao

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Using A6 to control VST - NRPN Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to everybody,

I'm using an A6 & cubase sx3. I can't find a way to use the A6 knobs to control some vst. The A6 out NRPN and I don't to know how to map each knob to ONE midiCC in order to control a cutoff or a resonance on some VST.

Someone can help me?

Thanx in advance.
mao

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, now I know how to map Andromeda knobs to a VST synth... using cubaseSX very easy... and works well...
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?how?
wildbill

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't tried it yet, but in the 'inspector' area for a midi track, you can select 'Note2CC' as a midi effect insert.
Select NRPN LSB, or NRPN MSB as the source to convert, then from a drop down menu, select the midi CC number that you want to convert it to.

EDIT: I was mistaken about this. Note2CC merely takes a played note's midi number and converts it into a specified CC's amount.

Last edited by wildbill on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
bioseum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mao wrote:
Well, now I know how to map Andromeda knobs to a VST synth... using cubaseSX very easy... and works well...

please, can you explain as you do it? thanks...
mao

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply using a generic remote controller.

I'll post you all as soon as I can. I'm at work now.

The problem is, that only the second row of knobs works smooth like butter, while the first row is a bit stepped. It's very strange and I asked to alesis about that. They answered that they never know it was possible to do !!! nothing more... no answer about why the first row of knobs (like filter 1 cutoff or resonance... etc) is stepped.
wildbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Andromeda is not a generic remote controller.
mao

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ANDROMEDA CAN BE USED as a remote generic controller.

The problem about the stepped knobs is due to a CUBASE SX fault writing the XML. It can be fixed editing the XML with notepad.

Andromeda works better than any other controller I used...

You can control your vst using everything is on the A6 panel.

try.
mao

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok ladies and gentleman here is how to control a vst using the Andromeda as a controller and Cubase SX3:

This is for Cubase SX3 user, I don’t know if it’s working on previous version.

All the things you need to do is to create a generic remote controller, where NRPN andromeda controllers are routed to the vst. This is a step by step guide... it seems a hell... I writed down everything ... it’s all a question of seconds and it’s easy.

Please remember i’m using an Italian CubaseSX 3 I hope my translation of the commands are right. If you can correct this guide... well do it for all the A6 users.

Let’s start... open cubase, start a new project and load a vst you want to control, let’s say for example the MS20 from korg legacy collection.

Now in cubase go in Devices --> Device setup (I hope this is the right name I’m using the Italian version!) and create a new remote controller.

A windows pop up withe the generic remote controller. You can see two tables. The first is where you create and map the andromeda controller (the source) and the second tables is where you choose what the knob has to control (the parameter on the vst).

First of all, see the combo box on down to the right... use the delete to delete every template... and add a new template and rename it MS20. With this combo box you can create a new template for every vst you want to map and then switch from a template to the other with a click using the A6 to control all your vst..

With the new template let’s start mapping the Andromeda. Go to the first column (name) of the upper table and type CUTOFF1.
Second column (midi) choose Ctrl-NRPN
Third column (channel) choose 1
Address column. .. here do this… WHILE MOVING the CUTOFF1 knob of the andromeda click LEARN button on CUBASE SX (the last button on the upper right) you will se a number (2432) that’s the Cutoff1 knob address.
Max Value column: 4000
Flags column: R,T

Ok now go to the bottom table and now we map the CUTOFF1 command we just created to the MS20 LPF CUTOFF

Name column: choose CUTOFF1 from the drop down menu... yes it’s what you created.
Device column: choose MS20 from the drop down menu
Channel column: choose DEVICE
Value/action: from the drop down meno of all the MS20 parameter choose LPF CUTOFF
Flags:,, (nothing)

Well you just mapped the A6 CUTOFF1 to the MS20 LPF CUTOFF.... BUT BEFORE USING IT FOLLOW ME please... we can continue with all the knobs and creating a new template for the PRO53 and so on but I think you want to try if it works !!! so do this:

EXPORT to xml using the EXPORT BUTTON ON THE RIGHT (the second) of the remote controller panel (next to the upper table...)
Name the file A6.xml (welll it’s just a name...) but put it into a safe folder and not move the file later.

NOW THE TRICKS... Cubase SX 3 has a little bug creating the xml file with mappings... sometimes it fails on writing the flag so... do this:

Close cubase...

Open the A6.xml file you created.
You will find something like:
<ctrl><name>CUTOFF1</name><stat>2</stat><chan>0</chan><addr>2432</addr><max>4000</max><flags>19</flags></ctrl>
BE SURE THE 19 on the FLAGS tag is there !!! if you see a 3 change it to 19 !!! that’s the bug !

Now save...

Now lets create a new model (template) for cubase... just to avoid to load the xml every time...
OPEN CUBASE start a new project and go again to Devices --> Device setup
Choose the remote controller you created... and use the IMPORT button to load your (fixed) A6.xml file
Choose APPLY and OK...
SAVE THE PROJECT AS A MODEL(template). Close the project and start a new project using the template you just saved...
This project will loads the xml so everything you need to do now is:

Load the vst (MS20), choose in cubase Window --> generic remote controller... a new little combo box will be added to your project. You will see a MS20 label on it... but if you have created another template for a PRO53 you will choose what to control using it.

be sure that palying the Andromeda the MS20 is playing... and move the andromeda CUTOFF1... if all is ok you will see the MS20 LPF moving !!!

well seems a lot of things but now... if you want to add all the knobs... you have not to do all from the beggining... simply open the remote controller window and add the knob and export the xml... (and check for the 19 to be everywhere.) It’s done... if the new knobs doesn’t work try closing the little combo box (window --> generic remote) and open it again... it simply needs a refresh.

Remember you can add several template for all your vst using the same xml file... you will choose the template to use in the little combo box (window --> generic remote)

Next time I’ll paste here the xml file... so you can start from something working just importing it to your cubase !

Hi !!!
wildbill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mao wrote:

Simply using a generic remote controller......

OK - I get what you mean now. I thought you meant a generic remote controller like an M-audio or Novation keyboard, or something.

What you say sounds like it'll probably work, but it doesn't sound so simple to me. Wink

I'd like to try it though, if I get the time to do it.

Thanks for the instructions.
mao

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it not only sounds like.... it works... I'm using it...

Simply do it ONE time for a knob... and you learned how do do it for all the knobs. It's easy... really. It SEEMS difficult because I wrote every step and because of that "open cubase - close cubase" only because at the end you have a cubase template pre-loading the xml for you... but is not mandatory. Catch the process involved more than the single steps.

What I'm not sure it's clear is that you have not to create several xml for several vst ... the generic controller remote is only ONE, and ONE is the xml file. Inside the generic remote controller pop up window you can define several template, one for each vst you own. Then while using cubase normally you switch from one to the other simply choosing from a pull down menu... (MS20, PRO53, FM7...) and you can forget everything about NRPN, XML and so on...

If you have a NRPN controller like the Behringer BCR and you want to us it in real NRPN mode... welll you must do the same !

so... I think it's worth the 5 minutes you spend to try...

have a nice day...
jonkull

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like reviving dead topics. Smile

Anyway....I'm at work shopping online for a small controller to use with my K2600R. After reading this post I'm thinking I'll save my cash and try to use my A6 instead. What I'm wondering though is is it possible to only transmit MIDI without altering the Andromeda itself (ideal for me)? Or will the knob I turn on the A6 send MIDI and adjust the actual A6 parameter as well?
mao

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well when you move an A6 knob... you are changing its parameters... I don't know if there's a function to avoid the A6 changing it's value... it's possible... the A6 is full of hidden things like this... but this sound nosense for me... what's wrong on having the a6 changing? Is it because you're playing both A6 and K2000 at the same time? My A6 now controls everything I need from Sw to Hw thanks to cubase mapping as I have posted.

Simply try before throwing your cash... In the meanwhile I'll search if it's possible to use the A6 as a Controller locking it's parameter...

bye !!!
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mao wrote:
My A6 now controls everything I need from Sw to Hw thanks to cubase mapping as I have posted.

just a stupid question, but where can i find the mixermaps for cubase for the a6?
fr.gr. sunny
jonkull

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mao wrote:
Is it because you're playing both A6 and K2000 at the same time?

Yes. When I write If my sequencer is playing back a track on my A6 at the same time I'm recording a part on my K2600 I'd like what I'm doing with the K2600 not to change the A6..though I suppose I can just reset the A6 values after I finish recording the K2600 parts... I had a Bitstream 3x I used with the K2600 but I sold it and now I regret it (as usual).
mao

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, when you finish tweaking on the Andy to control the K2000 (or what you want...) simply choose another preset on the A6 and then the previous... nothing more... if you are on preset 23 press 4 then 3 again... that's all...

K2000 is still kicking a## isn't it? Very Happy

I have tons patches and CD for it... great...
jonkull

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mao wrote:
K2000 is still kicking a## isn't it? Very Happy

I have tons patches and CD for it... great...

Yes, I love my Kurzweil. It's a great (and underrated) instrument with tons of programming possibilities. I hate when people call it a ROMpler. It's like calling the Andromeda a Casio. I do wish I bought the keyboard instead of the rack though.
origin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder why this synth was designed without all of the knobs sending CC data by default. It would be nice to easily use the Filter Knobs etc to control filters in Logic or other bits of midi gear.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

origin wrote:
I wonder why this synth was designed without all of the knobs sending CC data by default. It would be nice to easily use the Filter Knobs etc to control filters in Logic or other bits of midi gear.

Resolution reasons. CCs are 7-bit, NRPNs are 14-bit. You'll hear a heck of a lot more stepping with CCs.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: