electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
A bit of a rant...
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crazeydazey

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject:  A bit of a rant...
Subject description: sorry
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered all my components the other day from this list not really checking what I was buying, just assuming that everything was ok..

Imagine my suprise when my order was delivered and I got 3 lawnmowers, a bag of bird seed, and a pair of incontinence pants..

no just kidding, but I did get a bag of about 600 resistors all 5% ( I know it requires quite a few 1% resistors) - but that's ok I've got plenty of 1% resistors kicking around.. no probs.

a TTL 7416 HEX INV/BUF DRIVER - the SLMS requires a CD40106 Hex Inverter, I'm not sure if they are the same pin layout, but TTLs run at 5v and I was always told not to mix TTL and CMOS (don't know why??)

and a big bag of pots - all linear, I thought it required some linear and some log pots, but I can't find where it tells you on rays page which to use..

I'm not slaggiing the guy who made this list off (Matt Bartlett), probably because he could be a member of this forum, lives in the UK and probably got a roundhouse kick that chuck norris would be proud of, but I'm a little peeved that I have spent a good view quid on parts and may need to spend a bit more..(plus they didn't have any Tantalum Capacitors or the temp co resistors...) Sad

but never mind I'll live..
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

er .. . . . I dont think rapid sells any of those items, I think the problem is the delivery bloke. Ive used those numbers from that list and it was perfectly fine. And you can get the cd40106 from rapid too.

Rapid is a bit funny sometimes though, I had a bag of 100ohm resistors that inside were actually 330ohm and ive received somone elses order before too ( I accidentaly kept it ! )
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I used that list too, and only part way through, noticed there were many mistakes. This isn't really Ray's fault because he lives in the States, and Rapid are British. Ray's just more than happy to take 'contributions' such as component lists. I'd email him and send him an updated list- that's if you want to Smile

I ordered (and still do) most of my Soundlab parts from Rapid. The real problem is that the order codes change, so it's best to always recheck them.

So,

I'm afraid, the one who has made the error here is err... yourself. Sorry. FWIW, you can return stuff to Rapid if it's the wrong part. Irritating, but very British Evil or Very Mad

PS, if you look down the page on the mfos site, it does recommend where to use log pots. It is there, you just have to look for it, and yes, there is a heck of a lot of info Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-uv-v wrote:
Yes, I used that list too, and only part way through, noticed there were many mistakes. This isn't really Ray's fault because he lives in the States, and Rapid are British. Ray's just more than happy to take 'contributions' such as component lists. I'd email him and send him an updated list- that's if you want to

I'm not really blaiming anyone other than myself, I know I should have checked, and I think I'll give emailing a new list a miss too, if rapid keep changing there numbers, then there will be another post on here in a year or too saying "that crazeydazey, needs chopping putting the wrong list on rays site.." so I don't think I'll bother..

I don't think I'll send them back, I'm sure they will get used (except the 7416, I don't see TTL used in the circuits I've seen..could be wrong!!)

cheers though for listening to my rant...
Lemmy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh Sad
I have the same 7416 waiting to be plugged in. Are you sure it's not going to work? Will I blow anything up if I try it?
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lemmy wrote:
I have the same 7416 waiting to be plugged in. Are you sure it's not going to work? Will I blow anything up if I try it?

I'm not 100% sure (I'm still a newbie myself), but I did electronics at college for 4 years and most of this was digital electronics, and I'm sure TTL chips need 5v and the SLMS runs on 9v (which is good for CMOS)

Also I don't even think the pin layouts are the same???

So I wouldn't unless some one else says it's ok.. (as I say I'm a newbie)
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

justed checked on t'interenet, not only is the pin layout different, the 7416 has 16 pins and the 40106 has 14..

I have attached a picture of both pin layouts.. the 1st one is the 7416..

chips.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  chips.bmp
 Filesize:  484.05 KB
 Downloaded:  286 Time(s)

Lemmy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup,
I found that too. I managed to find the right part on the Rapid site, I think:
part no. 83-0482
Zodiak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a strange one from rapid last week, half way through typing in the order for my SL the basket suddenly emptied Evil or Very Mad

2 minutes later it all came back, and then it switched to somebody elses order completely!

At this point I went to bed and just gave up.

next day everything was fine and my list was still there so I ordered it and everything seems to have arrived. The only warning I would give though is the 1V/oct trimmers are not on the list and I didn't notice until I started to put it all together... DOH!!!! Crying or Very sad
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The only warning I would give though is the 1V/oct trimmers are not on the list and I didn't notice until I started to put it all together... DOH!!!!

Yeah I fell for that one too, I have since found a better list which also tells you which pots are log and lin at elby-designs
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!! Evil or Very Mad

why does no one sell 2M and 3M resistors???

Can I use 2M2 and 3M3 instead???

I'm going insane... but apart from that everythings great...

I thought building synths was fun!!!
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also why does the PCB have + marks on for C3 which is tantalum, should it be 2uf elec????

boing boing boing.. I'm a little teapot...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 M and 3 M are not standard values, people have been asking about this before and the answer always was to just use 2M2 and 3M3.

The tanatalums are polarized and so a + sign needs to be on the PCB, it's not always easy to find the mark on the capacitor itself, but there always is some sign or another, maybe post a picture of it ...

crazeydazey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
2 M and 3 M are not standard values, people have been asking about this before and the answer always was to just use 2M2 and 3M3.

aah right.. sorry I should read some of the old posts first before ranting on.. I'm just idle...

cheers for the advice I will look at the cap tonight before soldering it in, I'm sure i'll see it if I open my eyes..

Again Cheers... Very Happy
Zodiak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

I didn't actually use them Smile For example in the noise circuit I didn't want to use up all my 1M and had a pile of 820K so I used them instead, I also swapped the 4.7M for another 820K and the 1K to 1 220R. It works just fine just draws more current, but as I use a PSU instead of batteries thats not really an issue for me.

I can't find my notes for the 3M and 2M but I think they are just a potential divider and I ended up using 680K and 390K or something similar and again it works just fine. It might change the envelope repeat time slightly and draw more current, but in practice I don't notice any difference and I have all my resistors down snug to the PCB which will be handy next year as I plan to use my new one for live work.

OK so it will probably be two of them with an additional ADSR, MIDI interface, delay unit and mixer but the basic circuit will remain untouched Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: