electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Streaming radio on electro-music.com
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:  Streaming radio on electro-music.com Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Martha, I think I've got electro-music.com!

Streaming audio information:

electro-music.com is proud to announce that we are providing live audio streaming over the internet to our community. Now it is possible forelectro-musicians all over the planet to broadcast live audio of concerts or electro-jams to a global audience. We hope this will greatly enhance the strength of our community and increase our collective audience. The web page for the electro-music.com radio service is radio.electro-music.com

We are using the Shoutcast technology. Shoutcast is usable on Mac, Windows and Linux. On Mac, iTunes will play the streams. On Windows, we suggest Winamp, but you may use iTunes and even Windows Media Player. On Linux, XMMS is suggested.

For the radio schedule please look here.

When live events are being streamed be sure to check onto the electro-music.com chat room. Usually, someone at the source will be able to share what is going on.

See http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Radio.BroadcastingInfo for more information about broadcasting on electro-music.com.

All you need to originate an internet radio broadcast is a moderately capable PC with a sound card, a broadband internet link (Cable Modem, ADSL, etc), and some free software. It is also possible to originate live music broadcasts from OSX, but you must get some commercial software that costs about $40 US - free eval. See: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/ )

If you would like to source a live audio SHOUTcast steam on electro-music.com from your studio or other remote location, these are the steps:

1) Let us know you want to participate. Send a PM to EdisonRex. Tell us who you are, something about the music, when you'd like to broadcast, and other details. At some point you will need some promotional "copy' to help promote your broadcast. This would include pictures, descriptions and any links to your website and/or mp3s. If you have CDs for sale, provide a link to those too. This information should be posted as a forum topic on the News -> Concerts and Fesitvals forum.

2) If all is agreeable and appropriate, the we'll give you a couple of URLs and passwords to our test server. This will enable you to experiment with your setup and to practice broadcasting your live streams. When we are comfortable you can get the technology to work, we'll set up an exact time and you'll get different URLs and passwords to access our public servers. We will post announcements on electro-music.com and you can promote the event in other ways as well. This service will be free unless we outgrow our infastructure.

The best time for a stream would be at about 3 PM EST (Eastern USA time) to correspond with mid evening in Europe. Other times are possible, but maybe not as desirable.

During the broadcast, listeners can get together on the electro-music.com chat room. It's possible to interact with the audience this way. We have the option of rebroadcasting these live events as well, so the music will be heard by a larger audience.

Please note, we aren't offering free streaming servers for streaming stations. This is for infrequent single event concerts and such. Also, the type of music must be appropriate.

We'd love to hear any suggestions for improving this new service. Please let us know what you think.

[edited by Blue Hell to reflect some changes]

[edited again by Blue Hell to reflect some more changes]

Last edited by mosc on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 am; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zuperkool! thumb up

/Stefan

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For shoutcast on Linux I've had better results with ALSAplayer then with XMMS.If XMMS gives trouble that pne might be a good alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Electro Radio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad...
This will make for some interesting times.
vytear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Streaming from Elkins Park!
be there in a minute-

_Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any clues for a total idiot on how to hear this? WMP says it can't play the files.

Ian
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open URL in WMP and type :

http://radio.electro-music.com:8050

into the box

frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
adhdboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Mosc is awesome!
Subject description: Streaming radio will be the BOMB
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Thanks for setting this up mosc it should really prove to be extremely cool.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is better than sliced bread. I just spent a week "playing DJ" with my iTunes collection in an audio-video chat room and it was a blast! Unfortunately at that chat room there were some bad eggs who were unpleasant to me, so I left it, but until then it was great fun.

I have two or three ChucK songs which I would like to share if anyone would like to add them to their material for a show. People like the three songs, and Howard listened to one and commented that it was "very good", but one person said it made her dog bark, haha! I don't know what to think of music that humans like, yet makes dogs bark! I can put the songs on my music web page so anyone can download them. Any takers?

Oh, I just noticed the dates on this thread, it's been around for a while. I just haven't checked it out! Oh well, happy streaming!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to do a "show" on electro-music.com, that is fine. Of course, we can't play music that is licensed. There is a lot of really great music already posted here - that would be the preferred music. Your own music or any music is good to go too, of course.

The fact that there hasn't been much going on on our internet radio doesn't mean we don't want to do it. Wink

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Howard, I'd like to give a try at a show sometime. Let me gather up some music or generate some more. Also I just bought a guitar so maybe I can play it after I learn a song. I'd rather use my own materials, and all of my music would be free, royalty free, or however you say it. Can one release music under the GNU General Public License? That's how I release all my ChucK software and sports prediction software.

I'll send you a private message whenever I feel ready to do a show, not sure if and when that will be. Gee, I spent 8 months building the tools I need to make music, now I get to make some with it! So many fun things to do, I love this music hobby!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The best think if you want to lisence your music for non-commercial use is Creative Commons.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those that are having trouble LISTENING

IMO winamp and itunes are very easy to work with for streaming. Winamp has an "Add" button on the bottom left corner to add url address (on the standard skin). Itunes has the "Advanced" tab, scroll down, and add url address.

Shane

frijitz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
For those that are having trouble LISTENING

IMO winamp and itunes are very easy to work with for streaming. Winamp has an "Add" button on the bottom left corner to add url address (on the standard skin). Itunes has the "Advanced" tab, scroll down, and add url address.

Shane

Thanks, but that's really not very helpful. Too vague. Two years and still no instructions on how to use this thing.

Ian
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian, just go to the home page which is obviously www.electro-music.com, click on Radio, then when that page loads, click on "Tune In". Your operating system will ask you what to open the listen.pls file with and then click OK. That's what I do and it works on both OSX and XP (haven't tried Linux yet) let us know if you have any problems.

Wow, those two posts I made were from ONE YEAR ago and now here I am just doing my 8th ChucK Show tonight! Who would have thought? And the synthesis with StillStream and other groups unites our community with our brother and sister communities... Life is getting very interesting around here!

frijitz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Ian, just go to the home page which is obviously www.electro-music.com, click on Radio, then when that page loads, click on "Tune In". Your operating system will ask you what to open the listen.pls file with and then click OK. That's what I do and it works on both OSX and XP (haven't tried Linux yet) let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks, but no, this doesn't work for me under XP. It says WMP can't play the file.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, it only works with iTunes, vlc, and winamp. for WMP you have to tell the program something, i'm not familiar with it. just download iTunes...
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
Inventor wrote:

Thanks, but no, this doesn't work for me under XP. It says WMP can't play the file.

What you do for WMP is just put in the site and port and leave out the playlist "pls" part. Or alternatively open up the playlist and paste the contents of the playlist (text pointer) into WMP. Windows Media Player can listen to Shoutcast streams, but it cannot decipher Shoutcast playlists. Annoying feature but complain to Redmond...

Home,My Studio,and another view
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is a problem unfortunately that WMP will not play PLS files, maybe OpenPlsInWmp will work for you Ian?

We've been looking into a flash player solution as well, but so far nothing satisfactory was found.

frijitz

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing So now it's not only incomprehensible it's contradictory. This maybe very simple for you CS geniuses, but I don't get it. Nobody seem to even understand the concept of giving instructions?
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In WMP select Open URL from the File menu, paste this link in to the pop up

http://radio.electro-music.com:8050/

then click OK

Hope that helps

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
Laughing So now it's not only incomprehensible it's contradictory. This maybe very simple for you CS geniuses, but I don't get it. Nobody seem to even understand the concept of giving instructions?

Hey, I can't get MicroSoft software to work either, lol!

frijitz

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
In WMP select Open URL from the File menu, paste this link in to the pop up

http://radio.electro-music.com:8050/

then click OK

Hope that helps

That works. Thanks!
dburgan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Yes, it is a problem unfortunately that WMP will not play PLS files, maybe OpenPlsInWmp will work for you Ian?

We've been looking into a flash player solution as well, but so far nothing satisfactory was found.

I've been looking for a decent Flash solution as well for StillStream. The problem is that Flash is not designed to handle the method Shoutcast uses to stream (or Shoutcast is not designed to stream properly, depending on your perspective). Either way, a reliable Flash streaming player for Shoutcast remains elusive. The one I use on StillStream right now works after a fashion but has serious memory management issues.

A simple solution for WMP is to put an M3U file on your web server that points to the same place the PLS points. M3U is a super simple file format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

Simply create the M3U using a text editor and link to it from your radio page, and people who use WMP can use the M3U link to tune in.

Hope this helps ...
Darrell
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: