electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Lead 2 or 2X for metal music
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synastikki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Nord Lead 2 or 2X for metal music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm planning on buying a Nord Lead 2 or 2X (or a rack version)... Now I'm just wondering can it produces the right kind of lead sounds for my use. I'm planning to use it mainly for my solo lead and other needed lead sounds first (who knows what kind of sounds I will also use Wink)
So the main question is: Can I get metal lead sounds out of NL2(X)? Good examples for what I'm looking for are the sounds that are used by Henrik Klingenberg (Sonata Arctica; I know he is using Clavia synths...), Janne Warman (Children of Bodom), Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater), Jens Johansson (Stratovarius), etc... Mainly I'm concerned because of the lack of effects... because I'm not sure if my budget will be big enough for NL2(X) and for some multi-effect box or overdrive/dist. box...
Thank you for responces in forehand!

Synastikki
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome synastikki

I just listened to Sonata Arctica and heard a lot of keyboard sound which are able to create at a lot of synths. I wondered if that high pitched piano sound (solo 'Don't Say A Word') was able on the NordLead2 and. yes, it is. Only, please, don't make the same faces as that keyboard player makes... If he has eaten something and his digestive system is in protest Wink

2181SonataArticaHighPitchPiano.mp3
 Description:
a mp3

Download
 Filename:  2181SonataArticaHighPitchPiano.mp3
 Filesize:  20.94 KB
 Downloaded:  1167 Time(s)

2181SonataArticaHighPitchPiano.syx
 Description:
The Patch in SysEx

Download
 Filename:  2181SonataArticaHighPitchPiano.syx
 Filesize:  139 Bytes
 Downloaded:  505 Time(s)

synastikki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah I know that Henkka's expressions aren't so nice to watch sometimes... he looks like a beaver most of the time Laughing that sound you posted was really nice Razz but still I'm mainly concerned about that solo lead sound he uses... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zkXdqcajk here's a clip from the new album and the solo sound is heard 2:00-2:35...
I believe that it comes from sometype of clavia synth, because on sonata arctica webpage he says that he uses Korg and Clavia keyboards and he uses Korg Karma as a controller and for some sounds, but I'm not sure what synth modules he uses... although he has used also Kurzweil modules before so that is also one option. I btw own a Korg Triton so with NL2 I would be expansion for my gear and my sound-atmosphere Smile
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I heard that song yesterday and I thought I was listening to two guitars... The bending notes can be played guitar like on the Clavia synths, if there's a PitchStick (so, not on a rack version)

Wout
synastikki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah sometimes people who listen to something else than metal music think that there is a solo guitar playing instead of a keyboard (been there myself when I first started to listen Stratovarius Very Happy) I've tried the PitchStick couple of times and I'm not sure if it's meant for me... I like the Korg joystick more Smile but if I buy a keyboard version of NL2 maybe I'll learn to use PitchStick better than the Korg Joystick Smile
but still my main question is unanswered... Can I make those kind of lead sounds with Nord Lead 2 without any other equipment?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synastikki wrote:
Can I make those kind of lead sounds with Nord Lead 2 without any other equipment?

It sounds like a simple saw lead with a modest amount of overdrive. The overdrive is most likely from a stomp box or rack as the Nord lead has no built in fx.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synastikki wrote:
... but still my main question is unanswered... Can I make those kind of lead sounds with Nord Lead 2 without any other equipment?
I think the G2 will serve you better, because these 'guitar like' sounds are hard to make on the more restricted NL2.

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
It sounds like a simple saw lead with a modest amount of overdrive. The overdrive is most likely from a stomp box or rack as the Nord lead has no built in fx.
Totally agreed. I was trying the same road Smile Still I would make it on the G2...

See the attachment of a Derek Sherinian Monster Lead G2 patch. The FX part is rather large...

Wout

Monster10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  631 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Monster10.jpg

synastikki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2 might serve me well but it seems so complex... and also I have such a shitty computer back home that I would really have to get a new one to be able to use the G2 editor program... is the G2 really like "unlimited synth"? so I could make nearly everything i ever imagined with it except sample-based sounds? and there is a rack module, G2 engine, right? =P I'll really have to take it under consideration...
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a Demo version on Clavia's site, which produces sound on your computer. Try it.

BTW I use the G2 on a very simple computer... Pentium 2 and Windows 98 as OS. Yes, I'm that old Wink

And more... Lordi and Tommi Lindell use the G2 too, to show what Finnish company you would be in Smile

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: