electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
multiple ins/outs on G2
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: multiple ins/outs on G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to control synths in patch b with seqeuncers in patch a...the only problem is the 4in / 4out modules only have 2 buses (1/2, 3/4). Does anyone know of a way I can "create more buses" or a similar effect? Using the normal "in/out" settings on the 4in / 4out moudes doesn't seem to work either, I end up getting a near constant trigger in patch b that rivals a 1/96 pace.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use midi to send signals between slots.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Midi seems to be another method of generating the same problem. I can set up a note send module to output from slot A to slot B, and set the corresponding note recieve module to recieve those events by setting it to the "this" channel. However, I can not duplicate this effect with midi channel numbers...I am wondering if there is a reason for this. I have multiple sequencers in slot A I want to output on seperate channels to corresponding seperate oscillators in slot B...surely this is possible some way?
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should be able to do it by using specific midi channel numbers instead of "slot A" and "this". However you would need to physically connect the midi out to the midi in. (be sure to set midi local to off)
I believe that sending to "slot A" goes internally, but sending to "channel 1" only goes out the midi port. Sending to "this" goes out the midi port on the same channel as the slot and receiving on "this" is whatever comes in via midi on the same channel assigned to the slot.
For example, if you try to send on "this" and receive on "this" in the same patch, nothing happens because "this" refers to the channel of the external midi connection.
I haven't verified all of this rigorously, so you may have to do some tests.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't get the MIDI channel # settings to work at all. My system settings don't strike me as the problem, but is there something along those lines that could be contributing to this?
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you have your midi cables connected? Any other devices in the loop? Simplify the problem to one source and one destination, directly connected.
It does work, I've used my G2 to send midi to other devices.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

initially I had no midi cables connected to the G2...I did a test by connecting it to another synth, and the midi sends worked...I then plugged the G2's midi output into the midi input with a cable, and now it works. I am surprised this does not work internally though.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't work internally because each slot is set up to receive on a single midi channel. If all channels were routed internally to every slot, it might get messy. Many people use their synth in local off, so the midi out is routed through a sequencer or other device and then back to the input. If the signals were also going internally, everything would be doubled.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MIDI is sending insufficient gates that I can't seem to work out with the logic pulse...the sounds produced by the oscillators are getting distorted very oddly. perhaps the best way around this is going back to producing my entire patch in one slot and getting an expansion card to handle it all.

Still, I am surprised there is not more efficient (easier) ways of taking advantage of the DSP resources in all slots in this regard.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The expansion is almost a requirement on the G2 if you want to do anything really complex. Another way to offload the synth is to do some of your bread-and-butter sounds in an external sound module. I use an XL-7 for this and it works out quite nicely.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: