electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
g2ools-1.5 nm2g2 and dx2g2 converters
Page 12 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jjpleeza wrote:
Yeah, all the original modules were there plus about 10 others..

Some of the modules get translated with a few 'extra' modules to more closely match the sonic character of the classic.
I think Clavia considers the shape oscillator's 3rd and 4th wave to be a drop in replacement for the spectral oscillator. Others do not agree for various reasons.
I read somewhere that a future version might offer a command line option to choose between different levels of emulation. In some cases, like when a spectral oscillator is not FMed etc, a simple substitution with SHPB might work fine. And sometimes it might make no difference that the polarity of an audio rate sawtooth is inverted.
I think qfingers and 3phase did an amazing job putting this together.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ian
sansserifgrafik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Need help to convert patchs with nm2g2.py Mac OSX
Subject description: Need help to convert patchs with nm2g2.py Mac OSX
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.
ive downloaded the G2 tools package from the links on this board.
im trying to convert my G1 patches to G2 using the software but have no idea how to use it..

ive installed python

ive tried the following:

i open the nm2g2.py document which laucnhes python.

ive typed into the console: ./nm2g2.py (patchname.pch)
and various slight mods on that line..

it always returns "SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

my .pch file is in the same directory as the nm2g2.py document..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
thanks.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help to convert patchs with nm2g2.py Mac OSX
Subject description: Need help to convert patchs with nm2g2.py Mac OSX
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sansserifgrafik wrote:
Hello.
ive downloaded the G2 tools package from the links on this board.
im trying to convert my G1 patches to G2 using the software but have no idea how to use it..

ive installed python

ive tried the following:

i open the nm2g2.py document which laucnhes python.

ive typed into the console: ./nm2g2.py (patchname.pch)
and various slight mods on that line..

it always returns "SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

my .pch file is in the same directory as the nm2g2.py document..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
thanks.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-109271.html
sansserifgrafik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes. after my post i read through all the other posts and managed to get the converter working via the OSX terminal....

the patches i want to convert sound quite different in the G2 after conversion..

ive still got the G1 on hand so im not packing it away just yet.

i can post the patches if anyone cares..
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sansserifgrafik wrote:
yes. after my post i read through all the other posts and managed to get the converter working via the OSX terminal....

the patches i want to convert sound quite different in the G2 after conversion..

The converter isn't perfect. SOme patches may need manual tweeking
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sansserifgrafik wrote:

Yes..that would be interesting...some issues are known like morph on switches and problems with tuned delay lines... or unreplaceable modules like the fixed filterbank...

but...there might be also yet unknown issues...

when a patch goes totally wrong it would be good to have a look to it...
sansserifgrafik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: MY G1 patch for the converter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is one of the patches i wanted to convert to the G2

its all sequenced drums and effects. turn on midi clock / sync it in to hear the patch..

after conversion it sounds quite different to me. ive got the G1 and G2 next to each other in the studio..

phundrum18.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  phundrum18.zip
 Filesize:  1.38 KB
 Downloaded:  912 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MY G1 patch for the converter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sansserifgrafik wrote:
this is one of the patches

There is no need to zip patches, the forum will accept pch, pch2 and prf2 files. No criticism, just meant to make life easier.

G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Knowing nothing about computer programming languages what i would love to see is a .exe version with a superb simplicity input and output file style GUI.
I say this because i believe that many people don't know how to (like me) and don't want to(like me) use a great tool like this in such a difficult way!
I don't want to be greedy, i consider this tool a super great tool and i am the first who would even pay or donate for a .exe version of this tool!
And of course many many congratulations to the creator!
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
Knowing nothing about computer programming languages what i would love to see is a .exe version with a superb simplicity input and output file style GUI.
I say this because i believe that many people don't know how to (like me) and don't want to(like me) use a great tool like this in such a difficult way!
I don't want to be greedy, i consider this tool a super great tool and i am the first who would even pay or donate for a .exe version of this tool!
And of course many many congratulations to the creator!

The user does not need to know anything about programming in order to use the converter. Most of the people who are using it have no programming background. It has already been made into an exe, and a GUI for Windows is almost done. Not having these has not stopped anyone from using it though.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its a bit tricky to get the phyton running..but once you got it its not too uncomfortable to convert patches..when you have a special convert folder you just copy paste the convert string for that folder into the command window and anything in the folder gets converted...

Its however possible that there will be a standalone version one day...
But i think as long its still in development its much easier to have it a plain phyton program...

We will see what happens.. v1.5 gives usefull resulds allready..especially when you work simultaniously on both machines..you can use grey signals in the Nm1 as you like and many possible scenarios get translated well...

That some complex patches dont sound identical is based on little differences between Nm1 and G2 that can build up in larger patches...

while on smaller structures that are happening during production the translation can be extremly well...

I hope that clavia once they find time for the G2 again will spend some time to give some classic modules back to the G2 so that conversions can be smaller and more acurat...
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
its a bit tricky to get the phyton running...

It's only been a problem on the mac, and for those who don't want to learn how to run programs from the command line.
One thing to keep in mind: the problems people have had running G2ools are not unique to G2ools.

A simple 1-line Python script which prints the users name would cause the same problem as those seen previously by those who tried running G2ools.
eposk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't work on my Windows XP machine. I double click nm2g2.exe, and I just get a black box open for a second, then it closes down... HELP!!!!!!!!
eposk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how do you use this tool?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ho hum ... I never tried the exe ... but ... for the command line version there should be some hints floating around .. in this thread I guess ... the command line version works here Very Happy

You'll have to wait for an expert I'm afraid.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

eposk wrote:
It doesn't work on my Windows XP machine. I double click nm2g2.exe, and I just get a black box open for a second, then it closes down... HELP!!!!!!!!

Thats right.

nm2g2.exe is a command line or console application. Open a command prompt (start/programs/accessories/command prompt) change directory to the g2ools-1.5 folder then type

nm2g2 yournmpatch.pch

and press enter.

Hmm, Does the exe work if you haven't installed python?
eposk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry to sound retarded but how do you change the directory to the g2ools-1.5 folder once I have opened up the command prompt?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
nm2g2 yournmpatch.pch

and press enter.

That makes sense, it would need to know what to do Laughing

Quote:

That was the idea of having an exe I thought, to be able to work without a python install Shocked

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

eposk wrote:
sorry to sound retarded but how do you change the directory to the g2ools-1.5 folder once I have opened up the command prompt?

with the CD command. CD is short for Change Directory. to get a clue as to what directory to change to it's handy to have an explorer window open as well. CD \ will change to the root of the current drive. typing a drive letter follwoed by a colon will change to that drive. after typing CD and a bit of the folder name you can hit TAB for command line completion, repeat the TAB thing to run to through multiple possibilities.

Alternatively get the " command prompt here" tool from microsoft. When installed you cna right click on a folder in the explorer to open a command prompt CD'd to that folder. This utility is a part of the power tools that can be downloaded from the microsoft site.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did I say power tools, power toys it is I guess Very Happy
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Quote:

That was the idea of having an exe I thought, to be able to work without a python install Shocked

The exe works without having python installed, but it needs arguments, just like the script does.
This is why you must open a cmd shell (DOS BOX) to run the program.

The GUI version will eliminate this issue.
jjpleeza

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
sansserifgrafik wrote:

Yes..that would be interesting...some issues are known like morph on switches and problems with tuned delay lines... or unreplaceable modules like the fixed filterbank...

but...there might be also yet unknown issues...

when a patch goes totally wrong it would be good to have a look to it...

Any chance you could have a look at the vocoder patches I posted on the previous page?
They were converted with lots of extra modules and sounded nothing like the oriinals, with some not even sounding...
Jonny
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The vocoder patches on the previous page were all lost in the big crash .. I just got a PM from someone asking for them, but I don't have 'm ... did someone keep a copy?
cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:

Yes, that is its purpose. All of the required DLLs and some other files are stuffed into the exe. Sometimes it takes a little bit of manual tweaking to eliminate stuff you don't want and make sure stuff you do need is actually included. It's a nice tool actually.

Page 12 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Jump to: