electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
How about a Glossary ??
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good to me...IE6 WinXP
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great, in IE6 and Opera9.2.

Could it be implemented for other areas of electro-music, like the Quick References, etc?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
Looks great, in IE6 and Opera9.2.

Could it be implemented for other areas of electro-music, like the Quick References, etc?

Thank you, and all others who responded.

Other areas, could be a good idea! But for now it's going to be just a hack for this, to see how it works out, it needs some more hours of work Very Happy

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan,

It works great here. I am at my PC at work right now.

PC with Win XP Prof.
Explorer 7

Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!

I will check it at home on my laptop and report !

You da' man !!!!!!!!

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The editor could work now as well ...

The file scanner is a bit primitive, so be sure to read the remarks at the bottom of the editor screen. There should be backups when the file gets screwed up somehow ... I hope Laughing

It's probably best to copy the text out of the editor screen into a real editor, do the work there and then past it back into the browser and hit submit. When you see errors after you submitted you can use the back function of your browser to go to the editor again for as long as the session will last.

An edit session can take a maximum of three hours now, after that the session id will be invalidated.

Scroll to the bottom of the glossary as present in this thread and click "log in", good luck on the captcha, it's not the average one Wink

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I improved a bit on the link control ... hey peeps you can actually edit this yourselves Very Happy

Last edited by blue hell on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool! I changed the entry for HDL, which had said "High level description language" to "Hardware Description Language." Took me awhile to realize that "(read more...)" is added automatically when a link is included.

Well done.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
Took me awhile to realize that "(read more...)" is added automatically when a link is included.

I added some new comments to the editor "manual" trying to point this out, thanks!

I'm changing the code a bit now to make things a bit more general (and maybe suitable for more than one glossary).

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a note about the LUT entry, while the acronym refers directly to the term Look Up Table, from a conversation in another FPGA forum, I learned that LUT refers specifically to specialized high speed logic that perfoms look up table functions, but it is really a single bit slice RAM. As a RAM, the LUT structure can actually implement RAM when that is applicable. In other words, a look up table, such as a sine look up table is not technically the same as an LUT. When someone says "LUT" to me, I think of the FPGA specific structure, when someone says "look up table", I think of the more general definition. Within a Xilinx FPGA (and possibly others), "distributed RAM" (as opposed to Block RAM) is implemented on LUTs for efficiency and because it is capable of asynchronous reads. LUTs are also used to generate complex logic functions which have 4 inputs and one output (for a 16 state LUT)

And here's more...

- CLB

(Xilinx only?) Configurable Logic Block, part of FPGA internal structure, Xilinx CLBs include 2 "slices".

- Slice

(Xinlinx only?) A slice is a collection of logic that is one bit wide. The slice is configurable and can perform many different functions.

- Distributed RAM

(Xilinx only), these are small logic device internal RAMs, usually implemented on LUTs. Can be configured as dual port RAM.

- Block RAM

(Xilinx only?) possibly others, larger sized logic device internal RAMs (synchronous read), configurable. Dual ported by design.

- Routing

The process of configuring connections between logic elements. Routing is important because it can affect timing due to the distances signals are required to travel.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Routing

The process of configuring connections between logic elements. Routing is important because it can affect timing due to the distances signals are required to travel.

To go along with this :

PAR - Place and Route

Quote:
Just a note about the LUT entry,

Yes, a very general term that could be synonymous with many things .... depending on it's context. Sort of like the term BUFFER .... does it mean you are referring to a place in memory where things are stored or is it a non-inverting amplifier???

Quote:
LUTs are also used to generate complex logic functions which have 4 inputs and one output (for a 16 state LUT)

Which is really nothing more than RAM organized as a 16 x 1 scratch pad .... It's still a LUT or a LOOK UP TABLE ... just a very small one as opposed to a "sine" lookup ...

Bill
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:
LUTs are also used to generate complex logic functions which have 4 inputs and one output (for a 16 state LUT)

Which is really nothing more than RAM organized as a 16 x 1 scratch pad .... It's still a LUT or a LOOK UP TABLE ... just a very small one as opposed to a "sine" lookup ...

Bill

It's interesting how names of things morph depending on their use, the LUT is called simply a LUT when it's used as a complex logic function generator (in which case it is considered a ROM because the write line is not available to the design) or when referring to the internal primitive silicon construct, but when used as RAM, it's called "Distributed RAM". For me, until I had pored over some log files, this was a tad confusing. The Idea came on when I was "warned" that my distributed RAMs were implemented on LUTs due to declaring an asynchronous read (this is not a bad thing, so I don't really understand why it's called a "warning"). As distributed RAM, it can be used as an updatable LUT (if that's what you need) by implication, but it's never called that, it's called "distributed RAM", probably for clarity in human communications. In the latter case, I believe it's properly referred to as a "look up table" (not a LUT) even though it's still implemented on a LUT... Shocked Very obscure lexical minutia, but I think the distinction is important for us here.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, I think we should include DCA, DCF, DCO and DCLFO as synonyms for NCA, NCF, NCO and NCLFO respectively.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It's interesting how names of things morph depending on their use, the LUT is called simply a LUT when it's used as a complex logic function generator (in which case it is considered a ROM because the write line is not available to the design) or when referring to the internal primitive silicon construct, but when used as RAM, it's called "Distributed RAM".

Very interesting topic. Here is a excerpt an architectural description of the Spartan II FPGA which supports this statement:

From Xilinx Website:

Quote:
Spartan-II function generators are implemented as 4-input look-up tables (LUTs). In addition to operating as a function generator, each LUT can provide a 16 x 1-bit synchronous RAM. The Spartan-II LUT can also provide a 16-bit shift register that is ideal for capturing high-speed or burst-mode data. This mode can also be used to store data in applications such as digital signal processing. The storage elements in the Spartan-II slice can be configured either as edge-triggered D-type flip-flops or as level-sensitive latches.

The block diagram is shown below this post.

So in the most generic of definitions:

LUT - Look Up Table - A fast memory by which a group of input signals, representing (x), may randomly index it's array, representing f(x), thus producing the transfer function of (x).

In computing, LUT's are used in place of computation of a trigonometric function because of of the very fact that the values are already pre-calculated for you so the table is just simply indexed and read. The trade off is more silicon is required. This is why a "Wavetable" synthesizer can have so many voices play at once, the functions are not calculated but simply are looked up. Much faster !!

So in the case of the "sine LUT", the inputs represent (x) or degrees expressed in radians so for a 256 entry table, it can be indexed in (Pi/256) radians. The sine amplitude is thus calculated via a fast LUT.

This may help settle on what definition we may give LUT ........ Very Happy Very Happy

Bill

sp2_slic.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.11 KB
 Viewed:  46502 Time(s)

sp2_slic.gif

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
DCO, NCO

Also called DDS, Direct Digital Synthesis .......... Oh so may synonyms !!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See : http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/abbrev.htm#mips Shocked
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jan,

That format is really nice !!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
See : http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/abbrev.htm#mips Shocked

Interesting, they don't have a definition.

We have the IP company as the only definition. While that's true, what about "million instructions per second"? When I worked for DEC, that rating acronym was always spelled MIPS. I don't think mips is correct, in metrics, lower case denotes diminuitive, such as mHz vs MHz, the first is millihertz where the second is megahertz.

Is there an authoritative reference?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As no one takes up on this and the glossary has hardly been edited I think the experiment can be considered to have failed?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
As no one takes up on this and the glossary has hardly been edited I think the experiment can be considered to have failed?

maybe people around here is so knowledgeable they don't need it Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
maybe people around here is so knowledgeable they don't need it

Wink I like that !!!!!! Very Happy

Bill
Tony Deff

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: A Glossy what? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or we could post a PDF table here.

Same basic problem, someone would have to keep updating it (and sooner or later that will stop happening). Also, the temporary suggestions list would have to be deleted by the Moderator after it had been incorporated into the table.

TLA = Three-Letter Acronym
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Glossy what? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tone-Deaf wrote:
Same basic problem, someone would have to keep updating it

That' s why I made the thingie I posted above editable ...

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:
maybe people around here is so knowledgeable they don't need it

Wink I like that !!!!!! Very Happy

Bill

Bill, did you know you are "A formal abstraction for describing the workings of some process or machinery." Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: