electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
iCab
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ctrl Alt Delete.

Applications or processes tab, right click on the little bugger and end task.

CHeers

Andy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Really Apple brought Next to get hold of NEXTSTEP which turned into OS X. NEXTSTEP ran on BSD on top of the Mach microkernel so this is what we now have with OS X.

Apple didn't have the ability to come up with an OS, just look at Project Copland.

What are you talking about?? OS9 and below were awesome operating systems- way better in many ways to OSX. XP is a complete rip-off of 9 (and don't start throwing that Xerox crap at me either Laughing )

FWIW, the software Solidworks, that I use all the time at work, was originally written for Nextstep Evil or Very Mad (or as I am told)

Can't seem to quit screenshot pilot Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh- nice one Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops, sorry about mixing up those BSD's.

I think there's a market for a few more "Apple's". I mean Apple, like Nintendo, capitalised on this now very popular feminine/metrosexual look but there could be more companies that re-brand a existing OS in a designer box with matching OS interface. I could imagine something more rustic, maybe even real wooden cases and water-cooled. I'm not sure what one would have to advertise as a important OS feature but Apple is getting by fine with placing emphasis on how on a Mac you can create "photo albums" and that this makes them fun so it can't be very hard....

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

What are you talking about?? OS9 and below were awesome operating systems- way better in many ways to OSX. XP is a complete rip-off of 9 (and don't start throwing that Xerox crap at me either Laughing )

Don't get me started on Carbon Evil or Very Mad
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Oh, yeah, that was back when Apple explained multi-tasking was inherently a bad idea and having a proper command line was a sign of weakness. Or something. Oh, yes, and Pentiums were considered "slow" back then, remember? Yeah, a G4's clockspeed should really be multiplied by two to compare it to a Pentium. Yeah, that's it, and benchmarks don't reflect real-world performance.

Those were the days, I think Iraq had weapons of mass destruction still, Milly Vanilly were considered hot shit and AIDS was something that only affected homosexuals. Oh, and you could still smoke at stations.

Remember?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
and you could still smoke at stations.

....and in pubs....and soon in your own homes Shocked

Hitler 2000 indeed Exclamation

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Hitler 2000 indeed Exclamation

Yeah, but if you only buy a Apple you can ward off the totalitarian government! That's because IBM is like big-brother and by buying a Apple you are showing you "Think Different".

(ps, are we at Godwin yet?)

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why isn't there a *yawn* smiley?

Anyway, Kassen's very nearly convinced me on the Linux front. If I didn't need voice dictation software (which apparently doesn't exist for Linux), I would switch with my next machine. Some say you can run Dragon NaturallySpeaking in WINE on a linux box but I'd really rather not pollute a nice linux machine with Redmond crap (just as I refuse to use bootcamp or parallels on my mac at home).

So for me, for now, the Mac it is.
James

PS My bf and I were talking about OS's a couple of weeks ago. His jaw hit the floor when I told him that OS9 didn't have protected memory spaces. The right response, I think.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
Why isn't there a *yawn* smiley?

Oh look at you! Laughing Wink

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, if I could get more stuff I too would switch to Linux. OTOH, if it weren't for email and stuff, I think I'd just throw these bloody things on the shit pile where all computers belong.

It's time to take up conversation again Smile

btw, what voice recognition software do you use? I tried Dragon, but found that when I started talking to myself, or going off on one, it went off on one too Shocked Laughing

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nope- like a lot of written for Apple products, iCab is pretty shit I am coming to conclusions. It's got great potential but it keeps whimping out on me whenever I upload anything. That's no bloody good. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen: the Aqua interface does one thing that I like: makes it completely unnecessary for me to touch the mouse (an infernal device that fixes us in 2D filemanagers).

If we're talking graphical interfaces and input devices, I think that Wii is far more exciting than any serious OS because it allows easy access to all three dimensions, but interfaces built around this are very limited at the moment.

v-un-v: stop that OS9 stuff, you'll scare the young'uns.

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
btw, what voice recognition software do you use? I tried Dragon, but found that when I started talking to myself, or going off on one, it went off on one too Shocked Laughing

Laughing Computer dictation is a skill, takes some discipline.

At work I use Dragon; at home I'm using iListen from MacSpeech. They've just released iDictate, in which they switch from the Philips speech-recognition engine to Dragon's. Accuracy is consistently better with Dragon's products, so I think this is a good change and I expect to upgrade in the near future.

James

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was the move to Intel. A good move in my books Smile

BTW, now I know why you guys can write so well and so fast. My wrists just hurt! Crying or Very sad

I wish I knew more about apple key commands. I only use a few. I know that there are hundreds. Got a Logitech Trackman too. These are brilliant- old but highly recommended!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
Kassen: the Aqua interface does one thing that I like: makes it completely unnecessary for me to touch the mouse (an infernal device that fixes us in 2D filemanagers).

Dear Steve. I know I made fun of you and your products but I hope you'll understand that was all in the course of the exploration of options and indeed I also made fun of the competition. Perhaps I made slightly more fun of you then of some others (I hardly made any fun of BeOs, for example) but I trust you realise that something meant to stand out is also inherently a easy target. You know I was right at times too, I mean, we both know making photo albums isn't as "fun" as playing the latest games to most people.

I'm writing to you now to recommend you hire brinxmat for your marketing. I know this may sound odd but he's a good match for your minimalist aesthetic. You see, unlike your new "Airbook" your marketing on your site is really rather heavy handed and hard to take in at a glance. brinxmat, on the other hand can sum up core features that actually matter to users in a single well running sentence. Everything can search and backup now, features like the one he mentioned on the other hand really count. I'm sure he's cheaper to hire then your current department as well could lead to savings that might be passed on to the customer. I'm sure you'll agree it would be nice if a platform that prides itself on being creative would come a little closer to the financial reach of artists.

Kindest regards,
Kassen,
The Hague.

Quote:
If we're talking graphical interfaces and input devices, I think that Wii is far more exciting than any serious OS because it allows easy access to all three dimensions, but interfaces built around this are very limited at the moment.

The Wii has a lot of good ideas, I think, but those came suddenly and now that it's getting so popular people are crowding to it to make a quick buck and the implementation is often less then stellar. I think the Wii needs some time, or maybe not the Wii so much as the underlying idea. The mouse was a good idea as well but I don't like this attitude of only the mouse, all the time. I use my mouse for web-browsing and there it's perfect, on many other occasions it just gets in the way. I think the Wii's idea is like that but like with the mouse the full implications may need to sync in. In my Opera days I was a big fan of mouse gestures but how many years of mouse-usage did it take before those got here?

Quote:
v-un-v: stop that OS9 stuff, you'll scare the young'uns.

For a year I saw a lot of OS8 (I think) and I really don't want to talk about that. We can debate interfaces and evidently the Xerox followers like MacOS and Atar's TOS/GEM had a lot going for them but as a OS (like Darwin is a OS, regardless of Aqua) I would call it nothing short of atrocious. I mentioned before I used to code in Prolog on MacOS in those days (10 or so years ago?) and Prolog needs memory. I make typos and in Prolog typos mean eating memory. A lot of it. Though I was a academic at the time (well, university student) I can tell you memory protection is anything but a academic issue. It sounds theoretical but back then OS/2 warp3 knocked MacOS around the block in such areas (pre-emptive multitasking, real memory management) and if you like or need to push your systems (I did, I was programming AI and playing early 3d shooters) such issues really affected you badly and MacOS sucked. Badly. I'm sorry but for casual usage those old MacOS's may have been better then today's average infected XP systems but for serious usage they can't hold a candle to it.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

BTW, now I know why you guys can write so well and so fast. My wrists just hurt! Crying or Very sad

IBM "Model M", for me.
It easily added 50% to my typing speed, I feel handicapped without one.

It's not "elegant", they are mostly boring beige, they eat space, are heavy (2.5 Kg) and they are noisy. They are also the favourite of secretaries and hackers the world 'round. Oh, and you could beat a man to death with it, if you wanted to.

:¬)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

It's time to take up conversation again Smile

Yeah!

My GF&me both do a lot with computers, and for our time off we stopped playing video games together and instead switched to board and card games. Oh and hardly any movies anymore, instead I read to her from a book.

It's nicer.

xjscott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: back to the iCab thing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-
Last edited by xjscott on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
brinxmat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kassen wrote:
Dear Steve. I know I made fun of you and your products but I hope you'll understand that was all in the course of the exploration of options and indeed I also made fun of the competition. Perhaps I made slightly more fun of you then of some others (I hardly made any fun of BeOs, for example) but I trust you realise that something meant to stand out is also inherently a easy target. You know I was right at times too, I mean, we both know making photo albums isn't as "fun" as playing the latest games to most people.

I'm writing to you now to recommend you hire brinxmat for your marketing. I know this may sound odd but he's a good match for your minimalist aesthetic. You see, unlike your new "Airbook" your marketing on your site is really rather heavy handed and hard to take in at a glance. brinxmat, on the other hand can sum up core features that actually matter to users in a single well running sentence. Everything can search and backup now, features like the one he mentioned on the other hand really count. I'm sure he's cheaper to hire then your current department as well could lead to savings that might be passed on to the customer. I'm sure you'll agree it would be nice if a platform that prides itself on being creative would come a little closer to the financial reach of artists.

Kindest regards,
Kassen,
The Hague.

Am pleased that you like my grammar.

As it happens I worked as an advertising copywriter until recently, and I was indeed famed for my one-liners: "Impressed? You're in Preston". and "I hope you like Drammen, I hope you like Drammen..." (with ersatz reggae playing in the background). Was asked to figure something out for Almere, turned it down.

Could do with the stock options.

Actually, from a user perspective, minimal interaction with the interface is good. You get the job done quicker, and can do more interesting things. Do you create music on computers because you like computers or music?

None of this explains why MS, Apple et al spend so much money on the gloss. Have you tried Beryl on Ubuntu?

I maintain that the mouse is holding the interface back. And we agree on Wii, then.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: back to the iCab thing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xjscott wrote:
I use Safari for everyday browsing.

Yes, I too have switched back- for the time being. Unfortunately Safari still wimps out on eBay, on often when I search in eBay, Safari can't open certain new windows, especially after searches. I've only had this problem with eBay (and Safari) though. A shame because I like eBay.

Fwiw, I also use Safari Saft.

Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: