electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Clangora jam
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Clangora jam Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my Clangora finished tonight. Here's a quick jam with just the Clangora triggered by my Midibox SEQ3 and lotsa knob tweakin'. I never was able to find any soundclips of the Clangora online before building this thing, so hopefully this is representative of some of the wide range of sounds it can make... the Clangora was exactly what I was looking for... thanks Thomas!

clangora.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  clangora.mp3
 Filesize:  3.1 MB
 Downloaded:  1452 Time(s)

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice, indeed! thanks for sharing.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoah! That's cool!
Darn, I want one now!

bubblechamber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds great, I really need to build a couple of these, too. thanks.
Photon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds crazy! Great job.

I finished my frac vers. a couple months back and forgot to follow up. Here's some photos. Wiring was a bit cramped, but it worked great from first power-up.

Really looking forward to the Mega Percussive Synthesizer Very Happy

clangora triptych.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.16 KB
 Viewed:  739 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

clangora triptych.jpg

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love the way you mounted the PCB....

where do you get those standoffs? and what is that piece of material that you are attaching the pcb to? it looks really good and i have been having some major problems getting my standoffs to work quite right...

you using a 4u wide frac panel?

couple of questions

1. did you etch the pcb yourself? it takes like 4 566's right?

hmmmm seems like an awesome module. and great graphics too!

Photon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
i love the way you mounted the PCB....

Where do you get those standoffs? and what is that piece of material that you are attaching the pcb to? it looks really good and i have been having some major problems getting my standoffs to work quite right...

you using a 4u wide frac panel?

couple of questions

1. did you etch the pcb yourself? it takes like 4 566's right?

hmmmm seems like an awesome module. and great graphics too!

thanks.
The bracket is just aluminum. I think it's .030" thick. bent and notched to allow clearance for the bottom of the adjacent pots. (its pretty tight back there)
the standoffs are from mouser. numbers here:
561-187TAB
561-250TAB
561-312TAB
561-375TAB
561-437TAB
561-500TAB
561-562TAB
561-625TAB

Yes I etched the pcb myself... kitchen sink technology. Very Happy
If I remember right it takes 3 566's and a NE570 compander.
The panel is 4.5" wide. (frac and a half)

I'd say this is one of the more challenging things I've built so far.
Alienation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent demo!! Shocked

I've become a TH fan and this is on the etching schedule. Cool

Thanks again.
creatorlars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad you guys liked the clip -- I must give credit to my bandmate Shane English for the knob manipulations.

I will take some pictures of my module tonight or tomorrow. The panel is in the Moog format, double-width.

Mine was a self-etched board as well. The PCB layout is nicely spaced out and very easy to work with, even though it wasn't the cleanest etching job on my part. The module worked right away after fixing a couple of easily discovered broken traces. Just be sure you read the article text about the panel-mounted components.

I got my NE570 from Small Bear, and my 3 NE566's from Electronic Goldmine. Everything else I ordered from Mouser (aside from general resistors and caps I had lying around already.)
Alienation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where did you get the knobs for your panels? (Photon and Creatolars)

I'm trying to scale the GIF so I can get it printed onto pnp blue. It looks like it needs to be reduced....again. Mad
creatorlars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How I reduced the graphic is by opening the layout in Photoshop and adjusting the settings in the "info" tab to display Inches. Then use the selection tool to select an area between two pins in the DIP sockets... resize the image until you get exactly 0.10". You may have to resize the image to 300 dpi before doing this. Of course, I realize not all of you have Photoshop -- but I'm sure there are some free graphics utilities out there that will do this much.

I really like Eagle Plastic's colored cap knobs w/setscrews. Mouser sells them in four different colors for around $0.95/each, but I went to All Electronics, which has the red capped ones for $0.75/each and bought 100 to get a price break of $0.65/each. I've been using these with Alpha 16mm smooth shaft panel-mount pots (not super cheap, but I like them and I want to keep using consistent parts for my projects.)

These are the knobs:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/KNB-124/310/KNOB_FOR_1_4%22#34;_SHAFT_.html

I'm building a pretty colorful unit (each module is duo-color silkscreened according to designer/origin -- Turquoise/Pink for Thomas Henry's designs.) So in order to get colored knobs that match my silkscreen colors exactly, I have to paint the knob caps. I tried several methods but the paint always wore off. Right now I use a small flathead screwdriver to pop off the caps (they are glued on initially), then I prime them with a white primer made for plastic model figures (expensive stuff but worth it), and then I paint them with Modeller's paints. (A good brush is a must, to get it on smoothly.) After that I clearcote with matte varnish and use epoxy to glue the caps back onto the knobs. The white primer allows for some really bright colors and the paint is showing no signs of wear after handling. I'll get some pics up soon.
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creatorlars wrote:
according to designer/origin -- Turquoise/Pink for Thomas Henry's designs.)

Do I really come across as a pink sort of guy?

Anyway, very nice samples. What really amazes me is that when I do these circuits I'm thinking strictly percussive sounds, and then guys like you and Scott (who did something similar with the MPS) turn around and come up with all sorts of tonal things I never would have thought of trying.

Good job!

Thomas Henry
Photon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alienation wrote:
Where did you get the knobs for your panels? (Photon and Creatolars)

I'm trying to scale the GIF so I can get it printed onto pnp blue. It looks like it needs to be reduced....again. Mad

The knobs are from Allied, Davies Molding 1900-H. They are unfortunately on the pricey side. I've already burned through the 100 I bought last year Shocked Sad Shocked

I used a photocopier to reduce the pcb image until the all pins of an IC socket lined up with the corresponding pcb traces. I seem to remember it being around 64%, but I'll have to check my notes.
creatorlars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Another jam... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another quick live jam with the Clangora + some reverb/EQ. Still workin' on those pics.

clangora2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  clangora2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.28 MB
 Downloaded:  1187 Time(s)

Alienation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another interesting jam.

Thanks for doing these, I plan on etching the pcb for this in a week or so.

I'm hearing alot of interesting sounds out of this.

Thanks again. Very Happy
creatorlars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem! Once I get a couple more modules added, I'll post some more with everything altogether (808 kick+snare, 909 kick, clangora, UD-1).

Quote:
Do I really come across as a pink sort of guy?

Nah, but unlike my 808 clones, you don't have a predefined color schema to work with!!! Smile Don't worry, turqoise/pink is one of my favorite color combinations, so it's a compliment. (Blame alien worlds in early CGA/EGA computer games for that one.)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy cow, how did I miss this? Very, very cool! I haven't even downloaded the second one yet. 1:30 AM or thereabouts, on dial-up, I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

But, man, very Clangorlicious, indeed! Cool

Thanks for posting this,
Scott

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: