electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Need ideas for sampler!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dannicool11

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Need ideas for sampler!
Subject description: what chip is the way to go?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've decided as i dont have shit to do, to finally start building something, and that something will be a Sampler.

i've been checking out the ISD1416 chip Bugbrand & nescivi have used but they seem to be kind of hard to find Sad

i also dont need looping, all i want is to be able to change the start point of the sample if possible, everything else would just be extra Smile

can you recommend any other chip? or do you know about any equailant chip ? (i dont know how to spell that word)

it would also help alot if you knew about any simple schematics for the certain chip you recommend just for a starting point, im not very good at making schematics myself, but i can save myself when adding to them

I'm just planning on making a very simple sampler at first, and then if that is successful, i'd take it up to more voices or something at that range (4-8 chips would sound so.. YUMMY! wouldnt it Cool )

put simply.... what would be the best chip to choose?

Edit: What do you think about this chip: http://www.winbond-usa.com/en/content/view/151/281/ i kind of like the options it has but i still aint sure if this is the right one to go with
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not really familiar with the chips you mention, but I'm always curious so I had a quick look at the datasheets. I'm assuming you're thinking a lo-fi performance kind of sampler here(?)

The ISD 1416 has addressing with a resolution of 100ms, which lets you select the start point. Although the precision is only those 1/10 second, maybe it's enough for the intended use. As a bonus it can record several sounds, and you can select which one to play with the address lines.

The ISD 1800 does not have a selectable starting point, and it can only record a single sound.

DJ
--
dannicool11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, i'm aiming for a lo-fi sound, and i like the ISD 1416 alot, but it seems it's not in production anymore & i cant seem to find a place that has lots of these for sale. Anybody know about a similar one that's in production as we speak? Crying or Very sad the main option i need is selectable start point, and if possible, more than a single-sound memory
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi !!!!!

Winbond took over the line of "Chipcorders" from ISD. The ISD2560 is a nice chip to experiment with Very Happy

http://www.winbond-usa.com/en/content/view/153/283/
http://www.winbond-usa.com/en/content/view/150/1122/

Hope this helps .
Bill
dannicool11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you both very much, very helpful posts Smile I've actually started thinking again about using the ISD 1416 for my first sampler.

Originally i was thinking not to have the max sample length too high, tops 16 seconds, so the 1416 is enough, but do you think the ISD 2560 would have more options later on ? im kind of worried the 1416 might get too limiting.

What do you say folks .. the ISD 1416 or the ISD 2560? Laughing
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What do you say folks .. the ISD 1416 or the ISD 2560?

Personally, I would go for the ISD2560 or even one of the larger devices. It also supports random message addressing, looping, AUX input, MIC amplifier, ACG input for voltage controlled modulation of the output amplitude ... Lots of cool stuff there !!!

I believe I have a 2590 or 2560 hanging around .....

Bill
dannicool11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the 2500 chips sound very sexy to me (i'm reading the datasheet, yayyy! Laughing ) but one thing i worry too much about is the availability of these chips, lets say i'd want to make a few 2-8 voice samplers built from these chips, i'd need alot of chips, but i'm worried there arent so many out there in the market, all the stores i've found dont have these chips in-stock Crying or Very sad i like this chip alot though, i want to use it Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but one thing i worry too much about is the availability of these chips

Here is the e-mail of a guy on Ebay that has 284 ISD2560's !!! Here is the e-mail so you can contact and ask about them. he seels them for $24.00USD each.

ebay@littlediode.com

Here is his Ebay Auction for the ISD2560:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISD2560-Integrated-Circuit_W0QQitemZ170184217078QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4663QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps you get some IC's !!!!!

Bill
dannicool11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, i'll definetly order a few when i get payed Smile
sascha neudeck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: ISD2560 capabilities Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I´m wondering, if I could use the ISD2560 to chop samples and to change the order of slices of the sample.
I would like to create a stuttering effect but the slices of the sample should be reordered in realtime.
so, like I play a short sequence on f.i. a guitar and the ISD2560 should be able to chop it in slices and send it out in reordered way in realtime.
Does anyone think this is possible??
and how?
and if not, which chip could be able of this?

I know, a lot of questions, and not easy ones, but I would really like to find a way to create such an interesting device. (so I don´t need max/msp and a laptop live any more Wink )
would be happy, if anybody has an advice or a tip, where to get more info about that (any books?)
thanx
Sascha

Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Texas Instruments has distributed the TMS 3477.
Originally built for telephone messages, but if the processor clock is increased it can be a nice sound sampler.
The IC already has dedicated lines for functions like play, stop, record, etc.
Memory lines are available for a few MB ram.

My application with this one can be found here.

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even though I have far, far too much of a backlog right now - I cannot help thinking about basic sampler/wavetable/quantizer/delay projects. I am anxiously awaiting some parts from Unicorn which I am hoping will be here by the weekend.

It seems to me that the easiest approach might be a simple ADC-RAM-DAC sort of thing. If high-fi isn't a concern then ADC0800 and DAC0800 are cheap, as is RAM and a few logic chips to clock everything around. Use a circular buffer and it is a delay, trigger it once and it is a sampler. At least so far as I understand it. Mind you this is based on my limited knowledge of digital drum machines. It takes more parts than an all-in-one chip but allows for tinkering. And still probably easier to throw together than a good VCO.
dannicool11

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much for the answers & stuff Smile

but lately i've been tinkering with the idea of making a sampler based on cassette recorder/players, im gonna buy some cassette players & try to do something, i'll try to post some info of how it goes Smile

i'm very interested in tape actually, i'd like to make a few channel tapebased sampler,,
TheShaggyDA

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dannicool11 wrote:
i'm very interested in tape actually, i'd like to make a few channel tapebased sampler,,

You might like to take a look at this guy's home made Mellotron, using 14 Sony Walkmans :-

http://www.mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html

Each one plays two notes, one on the left channel and another an octave higher on the right channel, so he gets a 25 note spread, plus one Walkman for drums.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ou might like to take a look at this guy's home made Mellotron, using 14 Sony Walkmans :-

Wow, thanks for posting that !! That is fascinating Cool
It plays well to !

Bill
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: