electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Problems with NOMAD in Kubuntu
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Problems with NOMAD in Kubuntu Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting the following error:

Code:

toad@toadbuntenu:~/nomad$ java -jar nomad.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun.misc.Service
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getThemes(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getProvider(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getDefaultProvider(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getDefaultUIFactory(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadEnvironment.loadDefaultFactory(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadEnvironment.startInternal(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadApplication.startInternal(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.application.Application.start(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.application.Application.create(Unknown Source)
   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.Nomad.main(Unknown Source)
toad@toadbuntenu:~/nomad$

Not sure where to go from here. I don't use java that often so I might have missed a library or somesuch but I've tried updating as many java runtime components and libraries as I can. I had to install the AWT-Toolkit to fix another error.
chresan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

you have to use sun-jdk to run nomad. It should work after you followed the installation steps 5-8 listed at https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/ubuntu.html . If this does not work let me know.

Regards
Christian

ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That got me slightly farther, I get the Nomad loading screen before it bombs out with largely the same error.

From nomad.log:

Code:
property file:conf/application.xml
[STATUS] Loading splash:file:/home/toad/nomad/data/images/splash.jpg
[STATUS] Starting application.
conf/properties.xml (No such file or directory)
Application seems to be started the first time: using default properties.
[STATUS] [PROGRESS] Initializing
[STATUS] [PROGRESS] Images
[STATUS] [PROGRESS] Modules
[STATUS] [PROGRESS] Module builder
[STATUS] [PROGRESS] Themes
[ERR]Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun.misc.Service
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getThemes(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getProvider(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getDefaultProvider(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.theme.plugin.ThemePluginManager.getDefaultUIFactory(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadEnvironment.loadDefaultFactory(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadEnvironment.startInternal(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.NomadApplication.startInternal(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.application.Application.start(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.application.Application.create(Unknown Source)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.nomad.core.nomad.Nomad.main(Unknown Source)
chresan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, sorry for the delay. Can you run the command
Code:
java -version
in a terminal and post the results here ?
ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm! I forgot I had this topic here. I fixed my earlier issues with the program not starting (you had the right hunch, I had an ancient version of the java binaries).

However, now I'm not able to communicate with my micro modular:

Code:
[ERR]net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol.MidiException: Communication timed out.
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol.NmProtocol.heartbeat(NmProtocol.java:57)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$NmProcotolExtension.heartbeat(NordModular.java:265)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$MessageProcessor.processMessages(NordModular.java:346)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.util.SelfRegulatingThread.run(SelfRegulatingThread.java:85)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$MessageProcessor.run(NordModular.java:314)
[ERR]Communication timed out. [ERROR:-802694390]
[ERR]net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol.MidiException: Communication timed out.
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol.NmProtocol.heartbeat(NmProtocol.java:57)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$NmProcotolExtension.heartbeat(NordModular.java:265)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$MessageProcessor.processMessages(NordModular.java:346)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.util.SelfRegulatingThread.run(SelfRegulatingThread.java:85)
[ERR]   at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.v3_03.NordModular$MessageProcessor.run(NordModular.java:314)
[OUT]Closing midi connection.
[STATUS] Stopping application...

Lots of that, no matter what midi options I choose within the program. The thing is, midi is working great for me in (the recently ported!) Renoise, so I'm pretty sure I have my interface set up correctly.
chresan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ten fingers ten toes wrote:
Lots of that, no matter what midi options I choose within the program. The thing is, midi is working great for me in (the recently ported!) Renoise, so I'm pretty sure I have my interface set up correctly.

At first you can check if your midi device is detected using the command
amidi -l (small L)
(The amidi command is part of a packet named alsa-utils.)

The output looks similar to:
Code:
   amidi -l

hw:2,0,0  MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 1
   hw:2,0,1  MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 2
   hw:2,0,2  MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 3

If your midi device has more than one In/Output pair then connect the your NM to the first In/Output Pair (the ports are usually number 1,2,...,N or A,B,...) and try again to connect Nomad with the NM (this problem is caused by a Java-Bug). If the problem still exists, post again.

Christian

ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, still not working:

toad@toad:~$ amidi -l
Dir Device Name
IO hw:1,0,0 MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 1
IO hw:1,0,1 MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 2

I have the in/out to my Micro Modular connected on In/Out B on the Midisport, which I'm assuming are 1,0,1? It's tough to tell in nomad, because the synth setup option says "hw[1,0]" for both options!

No matter what option I chose in nomad, I get no MIDI activity lights on any of the ports.
ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Err also to clarify, I did try plugging the NM into In/Out A as you suggested, still no connection.
chresan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Err also to clarify, I did try plugging the NM into In/Out A as you suggested, still no connection.

The "Communication timed out." error indicates that nomad does not get a reply from the nordmodular. But it should definately work, I tested Ubuntu(6.04)+Nomad+MidiSport 2x2 myself and had no problems at all.
Using the MidiSport 2x2 you can connect only through the InA/OutA-Ports. Did you make sure that In A / Out A are selected in the Nomad connect dialog and at the MidiSport that the USB/Midi Thru button is pressed (=USB) (after pressing that button reconnect the USB-Cable)

Christian

ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the button is pressed, and as noted, it works fine in Renoise.

Not sure if it makes a big difference but I'm running Ubuntu 7.1...

I get nothing at all in terms of MIDI activity lights when Nomad is searching for my NM, leading me to believe it's not actually communicating with the Midisport...

The only other thing of note, I'm not using ALSA for audio at all, I have a Firewire Mixer that I have connected using freebob under jack. Not sure what sort of difference that could make, but since ALSA isn't handling my audio I figured it was worth a mention.
chresan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the in/out to my Micro Modular connected on In/Out B on the Midisport, which I'm assuming are 1,0,1? It's tough to tell in nomad, because the synth setup option says "hw[1,0]" for both options!

IO hw:1,0,0 MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 1 - this is Port A In/Out
IO hw:1,0,1 MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 2 - this is Port B In/Out

Yes the synth dialog says only hw[1,0] for both ports. The string is missing the third number. This is actually the Java-Bug because of which Port B cannot be used. I hope they fix this bug in the JRE someday Sad

----------------------

Quote:
I get nothing at all in terms of MIDI activity lights when Nomad is searching for my NM, leading me to believe it's not actually communicating with the Midisport...

The only other thing of note, I'm not using ALSA for audio at all, I have a Firewire Mixer that I have connected using freebob under jack. Not sure what sort of difference that could make, but since ALSA isn't handling my audio I figured it was worth a mention.

Thats interesting, I don't know if it is possible that Jack and Alsa interfere with each other but I think it is worth to check out. Can you try the following
1. disable the Jack-Daemon
2. reconnect the MidiSport USB cable
3. try to connect with Nomad

chresan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also try if alsa can send messages to your midisport.

The command
amidi -p hw:0,0,1 -S F0411042110C000000000074F7

sends some random midi message to the midisport Port A (hw:0,0,1).
If you invoke that command you should see the activity leds blinking.
(Please remove the cables connected to the NM first)

ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy crap I just got it working

I noticed that my micro was in "--" mode ont he display.. I had been editing a patch in windows and had just left it there, aparently nomad didn't like that, and actually neither did my Micro! I couldn't change to a stored patch without power cycling it. However, now that I have, it's working great!
chresan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy crap I just got it working

I noticed that my micro was in "--" mode ont he display.. I had been editing a patch in windows and had just left it there, aparently nomad didn't like that, and actually neither did my Micro! I couldn't change to a stored patch without power cycling it. However, now that I have, it's working great!

Haha, I like such "simple" solutions Smile Great that it's working now.

Regards

Christian

ten fingers ten toes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for all your help, you've been invaluable!

Im so happy now that Renoise is ported and Nomad is working, asside from a couple of VST's, I have an exact port over of all of my Windows music functionality. Im not sure Ill ever boot back into it now.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for all your help, you've been invaluable!

Im so happy now that Renoise is ported and Nomad is working, asside from a couple of VST's, I have an exact port over of all of my Windows music functionality. Im not sure Ill ever boot back into it now.

Now *that's* good news to me Smile Smile
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: