electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
diy cv joystick? paia oz bender?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: diy cv joystick? paia oz bender? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello. I'm looking to build a very basic joystick controller to work with my korg ms-10 and paia 4700. It would be really nice if it would work with the arp 2600 and moog modulars at my school as well. I have practically no electronics experience, but am eager to learn. Is this something that would be feasible? Does anyone have any advice? Also the bending pad on my paia oz is missing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ryan,

welcome to electro-music.com!

The basics for CV performance controllers is just a potentiometer connected between the positive power supply and ground. A joystick has two potentiometers, one for each axis, so we're looking at something like:
Code:

0  +V                          0  +V                       
   |                              |                           
  +-+                            +-+                           
  | |<-------0 X axis CV out     | |<-------0 Y axis CV out
  +-+                            +-+                           
   0  0V, ground (or -ve)         0  0V, ground (or -ve)

The potentiometers can also be connected between a positive and negative supply voltage for bipolar operation.

If your power supply is +/-15V and you want a CV range of +/-10V, as often is the case with modulars, then you can set up a voltage divider like this:
Code:

0  +15V
   |
  +-+
  | |  5k ohm
  +-+
   |
  +-+  20k ohm
  | |<----------0 Control voltage output
  +-+
   |
  +-+       
  | |  5k ohm
  +-+
   |
   0  -15V

The total range of the shown power supply voltage is 30V, so we divide this voltage over 2 resistors and the potentiometer, choosing values such that we end up with a range of 20V across the potentiometer to give us the +/-10V CV output. I.e. we get rid of the extra 10V by 'shaving off' 5V at each end using the two resistors.

Read more about potentiometers and voltage dividers.

If the power for the joystick can not be derived from the internal power supply of the synth, then you can use an external power supply. In this case that external powers ground must also be connected to the synth together with the CV (many systems allow the use use of the ring of the patch chord jacks for ground).

Find out what CV signals are appropriate for your synths, determine whether you can use the internal power supply or not and choose resistors and potentiometer values accordingly, and Bob's you uncle.

DJ
--
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you so much for your info. this site seems amazing!
Yorky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be tempted to pop a simple voltage follower on the output to buffer the voltage

Also run the 'input' voltage from a stabiliser or at least a simple zener, to give stability

danielwarner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently acquired a couple of RadioShack TRS-80 joysticks at a thrift store, they have MIDI-style 5-pin DIN plugs and they're potentiometer based, and they each have a push button as well.

So I'm assuming the wiring is something like... one pin supplies +V, one pin is a return to ground, one pin is X-axis CV, one pin is Y-axis CV, and the fifth pin is a gate controlled by the push button?

I'm building a modular, it'd be awesome to make a simple module where I could plug those two joysticks in and get 4 CVs out!

Would anyone happen to know any sort of website that might give me the DIN plug pinout for a TRS-80 joystick? I did some Googling, to no avail

I guess, hey this is DIY, I may have to just throw it on a breadboard and figure it out for myself... but it's always nice to rely upon information made previously available if at all possible.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found the pinout for the CoCo joystick port here. With a bit of luck it's the same as the TRS-80 except for the 6th pin with a fire button 2 signal.

DJ
--

cocojoy.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.27 KB
 Viewed:  8693 Time(s)

cocojoy.gif

danielwarner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, hopefully you're right, the pinout will be the same minus pin 6. I need to get some DIN jacks and breadboard this!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: