electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
women or lgbtq people doing diy?
Page 4 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
dewdrop_world wrote:
What you're doing is what home schooling OUGHT to be.
Inspiring!

Seconded!

Truly great stuff, personally I feel this is the sort of road future parents should think about. I'm deeply impressed, even if on some level I feel this kind of thing should be perfectly normal.

I really appreciate yours and Dewdrop's comments. He's generally aceing his kits now. I need to find harder kits! Perhaps a VCO or something Twisted Evil

Actually this week we have started on boolean theory, he is now doing gates, and got a 90 on his test because he screwed up a fundamental concept (or I screwed up not explaining it right). High = true, Low = false, and High = 1, Low = 0. And I figured out you can use your fingers as gates and your wrist as the output as you describe this.

he hates getting less than perfect, but he accepts a lesser grade when he realises he made a mistake. In this case, I went easy on him, he had read the material but had not actually understood it, although I am mystified that he understood the operation of all of the gates, but he didn't understand why.

Home schooling is a trip. We learn as much as the kid does. Smile

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments. Thank you.

Home,My Studio,and another view
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
High = true, Low = false, and High = 1, Low = 0.

Don't go to hard on the kid for that, he was probably just thinking active low without you realizing it. That happens all the time in the communication between me and the guy who does the hardware at my work, yet we both know perfectly well what we are doing.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

I really appreciate yours and Dewdrop's comments.

Oh, you earned it, fair&square.

I believe that if humanity has a future it lies in the children so when I hear about budget cuts in education and see "parents" literally drag their children (who are quite right to be screaming about such treatment) through the supermarket I get a little sad and wish there were more people doing what you do. This may sound a bit emotional but it's a really big deal to me.

You see, I was once a child myself and send off to school. Seeing how everybody was a child once and nearly everyone was send off to school I personally think it's a bit odd when I sometimes think I'm one of the few who cares deeply about this topic.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Don't go to hard on the kid for that, he was probably just thinking active low without you realizing it. That happens all the time in the communication between me and the guy who does the hardware at my work, yet we both know perfectly well what we are doing.

True. Both make perfect sense, or so says my CMOS cookbook. Did you know ChucK has "until( x)" in addition to "while ( y )"? It took a while before I realised this was non-standard. Of course when you are communicating about such a topic you really need to document what you are doing. If something works perfectly well in a non-standard way I think I'd subtract (token) points for a lack of documentation if communication is a issue.

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

liquidpaper wrote:

even though i've built some things, i still have no idea what actually happens to electricity as it goes through a circuit. where exactly does it go as it travels through the circuit? and what is happening to it along the way? i realize it depends on the circuit, but i would like to take one circuit and actually be able to know what is happening to the electrons while the circuit is turned on. i have no idea why people put capacitors in a certain spot, or how they know to do that. where can i find these things out?

i realize that is totally off topic, but i'm dying to know and though i've looked through other threads that ask this question, i didn't feel they really answered it.

liquid --

This post caught my attention, because of all the posts by noobs I have read over the past year or so, yours is the first that actually shows an interest in understanding the basics. Most people seem to want to just populate a board and use it. Fine -- but then they have no idea what to do when it doesn't work. And of course they could never design anything on their own. But the most discouraging apect (to me) is the incredible level of incuriosity.

To start, you need to understand that electricity and magnetism is, overall, a difficult subject. After all, we had no understanding of these phenomena until about 250 years ago.

To understand how circuits work you do not need a deep understanding of electricity and magnetism, but you must understand that you will have to accept certain necessary concepts on faith, with little or no detailed explanation. (But at the most basic level of science we all have to do that anyway.)

Many of us started tinkering with electronics very young, starting with batteries and buzzers and light bulbs and building up our understanding a little at a time. I did that, then studied the Ham radio handbook, which had a good introductory section.

I thought that there should be some good free tutorials on the web, but when I went to look just now I was shocked at what I saw. The first two started out with totally erroneous information. One said that voltage is the accumulation of charge and the other said that no one knows what voltage is! Both absolutely wrong.

I found this one article that is factually correct and seems fairly easy to follow. You might give it a try and let us know what you think: http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~elec201/Book/basic_elec.html

GL

Very Happy

Ian
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:

I really appreciate yours and Dewdrop's comments.

You see, I was once a child myself and send off to school. Seeing how everybody was a child once and nearly everyone was send off to school I personally think it's a bit odd when I sometimes think I'm one of the few who cares deeply about this topic.

Don't get me started on how society devalues children!!!!

I raised 3 of them myself. I often got angry at how society wanted kids to be put away in cages, kept away from things, excluded, belittled.

I wanted to take them to this beautiful Zen garden but there was this sign "no children under 12". My kids were'nt rowdy & noisy. They would have behaved fine. It was summer and we all needed things to do, preferably things involving Nature. Nope... we're just sposed to take them to the Mall, shove them in some Yuppie summer camp, sit 'em in front of the Tube.

Bleah!

Kids are harassed by police for walking down the road. Every natural place is bulldozed away. Of course kids can't drive. parents can't be with them 'cause they have to work. And then they wonder why kids are fat, jaded and hooked on video games.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:
High = true, Low = false, and High = 1, Low = 0.

Well, I haven't gotten into negative logic yet, it's just his first week. But you have given me an idea on how to express the concept a bit better. And since when is an A going too hard? I was well pleased that he understood the concepts of AND and OR as well as NOT. The lab portion might well be this week, since I can give him the breadboard and some logic chips.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
....and hooked on video games.

That need not be bad. I'm hooked on them as well and I firmly believe video games can be a very good influence.... They confront your with problems to solve, often with a time limit, often with more points for better solutions. Plot-driven games can be a incentive to learn how to read (or learn English/Japanese), they have been shown to increase hand-eye coordination and of course modern online games teach people about teamwork.

Of course we have a issue if that's *all* somebody does but in moderation, for example instead of watching TV I don't think there is any harm in them.

liquidpaper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as i said, i'm a teacher, so don't get me started on the problems of schooling - i experience them daily. lord . . . sometimes it takes some serious strength of will not to give up. on the other hand, i see pure human genius around me daily, and that is one of the most enjoyable things in my life. i see it in places where you would only expect shallow nonsense.

good on you, edison, for helping to homeschool that child. i think of myself as being both "formally" schooled (whatever that means) and homeschooled. in other words, i went to public school during the day, and then came home and was homeschooled by my family, my community, and the woods near my house. the schools i went to were relatively small and generally staffed by members of the immediate community. i honestly feel that i am one of those fortunate people who experienced actual learning.
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
laura woodswalker wrote:
....and hooked on video games.

That need not be bad. I'm hooked on them as well and I firmly believe video games can be a very good influence.... They confront your with problems to solve, often with a time limit, often with more points for better solutions. Plot-driven games can be a incentive to learn how to read (or learn English/Japanese), they have been shown to increase hand-eye coordination and of course modern online games teach people about teamwork.

Yeah, it's true... my son was a video game freak in the days of DOOM. Back then, kids had 'cracks" to solve it and learned DOS so they could program games. It was definitely a positive influence on him... he became a guy who could fix anything and now he's a grad student in nano-tech.

What I meant wasn't slamming video games Per se... it was just about how kids are excluded from so many things and developers have destroyed all the wild natural places where they would explore & go walking... so then there's all this hand'wringing about "kids are obese...all they do is watch TV/play video games... when we were their age, we played outside."

Well DUH!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

What I meant wasn't slamming video games Per se... it was just about how kids are excluded from so many things and developers have destroyed all the wild natural places where they would explore & go walking... so then there's all this hand'wringing about "kids are obese...all they do is watch TV/play video games... when we were their age, we played outside."

Well DUH!

Oh, yes, I agree. I think the obsessive game-playing and obesity are symptoms, not causes.... and I think gaming is getting the blame because older people have a harder time understanding it.

Say Alice spend a hour a day practising a hard section of a game she can't get past and Bob spends the same amount on a piano piece... I think Alice is far more likely to be warned about obesity then Bob is but I wonder -if we consider the type of mental concentration and movements- if there is really a large difference in the amount of Joules burned.
Some politicians don't play games themselves and don't understand them so it's easy to blame them and not look at environmental (literal sense) factors like you do or other influences like growth hormones in cheap meat. Another factor is this much debated violence. For a start I don't know that kids now are more violent then they used to be, for another you can indeed say that some games do present violence as a valid way of solving some problems but I also think there are many *politicians* who present violence as a valid solution, often to problems I have a hard time seeing.... It sounds like a a odd question but at that stage I think we need to wonder if politicians influence the people in a society.

I think you are right in that gaming can be escapism and I believe we agree (?) when I say the core issue may be the question of what they are trying to escape from and why.

Even with that being as it is, I don't think gaming is less healthy then watching TV, especially in the light of problem-solving and of course phenomena like these "solitary" gamers forming clans or exchanging strategies online and so on.

Blaming the unkown is the easy way out which strikes me as quite similar to the cultural attitude towards non-hetero-normative sexuality; the real questions are much harder. (To kinda bring it back on topic)

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

liquidpaper wrote:

good on you, edison, for helping to homeschool that child. i think of myself as being both "formally" schooled (whatever that means) and homeschooled. in other words, i went to public school during the day, and then came home and was homeschooled by my family, my community, and the woods near my house. the schools i went to were relatively small and generally staffed by members of the immediate community. i honestly feel that i am one of those fortunate people who experienced actual learning.

I appreciate that comment, very much, indeed. Thank you. In some ways, the elder brother is getting some benefit from this. The elder brother is being more or less conventionally schooled, if you could consider the main American school in London as a "conventional" school, which is is, and isn't at the same time. He still has to deal with our home based schooling and our active management of his world too. Kids are a LOT of work, and I don't post a lot because I am busy with them when I am not at work.

Home schoolers have a community, but trying to do tech on an individual basis is difficult. I would love to share experiences. I know this isn't exactly the place, but I do throw my offer out here.

We actually do talk out on the home schooler (UK, not necessarily US) groups, and we have a fairly good non-virtual community. We still need help to get our programs together. Ultimately, the kid will have to be tested, and we have to prepare for that. I hear lots of good stories that HS kids do fine, but it doesn't make me less anxious about my kid.

And back to you, liquidpaper, for you to be a teacher makes me actually quite respectful of you. Your outlook is what i wish teachers were all like.
We don't see a lot of them, that have an outlook like yours, and even with such an outlook, there are so few teachers we admire. We (parents) do learn from good teachers too.

I know this has hijacked the thread somewhat, but I really think that if you're going to be counter culture, there is a common method.

Maybe the method is just being bloody minded. I don't know.

Page 4 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: