electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
tweaked wave sounds
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: tweaked wave sounds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hesitated a long time before buying a NordWave as the factory sounds where so boring. But I guessed there was more to get from it, and did buy one.
I have mow done two weeks of patching, and it is still fun exploring things.
I add an mp3, it is simply 18 x 30 seconds of sounds that NOT comes from Clavia, recorded with no external effects. It shows that the NW has potential above the boring factory sounds. As I plan to use it with my band, it is not hig end electronica, it is for live use.
Per
dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really interested in that mp3 file, but I can't find it anywhere (!?)
Per

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´ll make another try.
Per

ljudshow.mp3
 Description:
tweaked NW

Download
 Filename:  ljudshow.mp3
 Filesize:  4.15 MB
 Downloaded:  1675 Time(s)

dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great, thanks!
msy2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder why the factory patches are always so bad. I just got a 2x and the patches are for the most part are not very good.

Like it or not, the Korg microkorg has good factory patches that can sell a synth. I remember playing the Lead 2 in a music store and not being impressed at all. I later bought a Lead 1 and found the it is very good once I was able to spend time programming it.

Even if the sounds are "trendy", clavia should spend more time making patches that will help sell their synths more.
kvnvk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't know what that's about, had the same experience with the Nord Lead 3 rack I bought last year... scrolling through the presets didn't inspire much confidence in its abilities, but once I got around to tweaking out a few of those rather mundane sounds came to realize the synth's potential.
Filament

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As soon as I received my NW I deleted all the factory presets and samples. It was great fun loading all my own samples and creating an all new sound set from scratch. I now have a hundred or so brand new sounds. I would recommend deleting all factory presets from the start.

Miles.
Ruud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't find all the factory samples bad at all.
The Whurlitzer and the Mellotron organs I like a lot.
I think it depends on the type of music you play
For the funky/jazzy stuff it rocks

But that's my opinion Wink
Per

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the start, my opinion was that most of them where rather boring. But when I got into more of tweaking, PM/FM modulation and heavy filtering, I found them very good as raw material for new sounds. As many of them is quite natural and without treatment, they did well a sort of fundament for further patching.
My guess is that an already freaked out sound is harder to form to a new freaked sound, than the bread and butter sounds of the NW.
Per
Ruud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, but it's also the what you call the "raw material" I like.
For instance some organ sounds are real nasty and ugly, but than agian it could be a nice part in a piece of music.
A lot of people like smooth pads but I don't find them interesting.
So it's all a matter of taste.

I think it's a instrument that will never be boring because off the sample possibilities.
Per

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is true. Bought mine a month ago, and until now I have made more than a hundred patches. I have never worked with an instrument that are so rewarding to the patcher. And it has a depth it the architecture that to me is so fun to explore. I am now into using the velocity morph to change between slot a and slot b. It is possible to make very expressive leads, pianos and guitar sounds that way.
And I do also make a sport of mimic old synths, like Moog, Korg Polysix and old Roland SHs. With the filter, the simple equalizer and the distortion it is easy to get that fat and Lo Fi sounds of the synths i once owned.
Per
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: