electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Shift Registers
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Shift Registers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To get some ideas rolling, here's how I reckon you'd hook up the 4015 Dual Shift Register... As mentioned by Tim Servo in one of the other threads, the inputs are tied to ground with 100k resistors - that's a standard practice (I think?!) - so, if nothing is plugged into them then they'll be kept as a stable low state.

(As a slight aside, though -- sometimes you'll come across chips with pins that are active low - in such cases you'd tie the input to V+ via a 100k resistor)

Anyways, back to Shift Registers ------- you feed some pulse-train into the Data input and the value is read whenever the Clock input goes high. The stored value is then passed down the line (QA to QB to QC to QD) with each successive clock.

I haven't yet tried this circuit, but will soon, no doubt!
Looks right, I think?!

Lunetta_DualShiftReg4015_byBugs.jpg
 Description:
Simple 4015 Dual Shift Register
 Filesize:  98.22 KB
 Viewed:  1050 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Lunetta_DualShiftReg4015_byBugs.jpg

bugbrand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, there are also these other sorts of shift registers (though some may be hard to find, I think?):

4006 - 18 stage Shift register
4014 - 8-stage shift register
4015 - Dual 4-stage shift register
4021 - 8-bit static shift register
4031 - 64-Bit Static Shift Register
4517 - Dual 64-Bit Static Shift Register
4557 - 1-to-64 Bit Variable Length Shift Register
40104 - 4 bit bidirectional Parallel-in/Parallel-out PIPO Shift Register (tri-state) (((Sounds pretty fancy!)))
40195 4-bit universal shift register

williamsharkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, it is like having 4 delay modules.

If the frequency of the of clock is one cycle per second, then you would have:

-Sound input
-1 second delay out
-2 second delay out
-3 second delay out and
-4 second delay out
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, shift registers are good for delays, but they are great for pattern generators. Each shift register is sorta like a Sample and Hold circuit. The clock input and the data input work that way.

You can chain the last bit (or any bit actually) from one SR to another. Then take some of the bits from one as control bits to a modulo-n divider and it will generate a tune. Take the same bits from the second SR and you will get a canon, one tune played against itself, but delayed.

Use the bits in different order and you'll get harmony.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just came across this schematic

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Oscillators%20LFOs%20and%20Signal%20Generators/Complex%20Waveform%20Generator.gif

i was planning on ignoring everything but the shift register and the xor gates

if this sounds good i figure it should be a nice way to hardwire one half of the 4015
bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I got a couple more modules done up (and more on the bench too)

One was a dual shift register based on the schematic posted at the top of the page. I got some really nice and very compact rotary switches as an end-of-line from Farnell, so used some here..

Next weeks or so I'll be putting much more detail up on my site such as schematics and front panels, but just thought I'd share for now..

Working on a new portable frame for my modular system (or part of it) so ain't doing much playing until that's done....

Oh yeah - the for the Data input I've used a SPDT Centre off switch -- in the up position it ties the data high, in the middle its disconnected (so pulled low by a 100k resistor) and in the bottom position it is connected to the banana socket.. Seems pretty versatile!

4015_DualShiftReg.jpg
 Description:
4015 Dual Shift Register
 Filesize:  107.2 KB
 Viewed:  583 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4015_DualShiftReg.jpg

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do the other knobs do? the schematic up top has no switches or pots?? i made this circuit too...good noise maker!!
bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, its not a pot - its a 5way rotary switch --> so I've just taken the four stage outputs and passed these on to the switch with the 1st position offering Off.. I figured it'd be a useful addition.
So, the rotary goes: Off, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

(I'll do some more details over the weekend to show the panel.. Behind it is really simple -- small piece of stripboard with the 4015 and just a few resistors etc - that's the Lunetta joy!)

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with these shift registers could you easily sum up the out puts to get some very powerful sounding squarewaves? or is it best to send the outs towards other chips?
jnuaury

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
with these shift registers could you easily sum up the out puts to get some very powerful sounding squarewaves? or is it best to send the outs towards other chips?

if i am understanding you right, you wont exactly get a big powerful square wave on the output. one thing i have tried in the past is to mix the outs through a simple resistor DAC. if both the data and clock inputs are in audio range you can get some gnarly sounds. if you lower the clock into LFO rates youll get a sequencer or sample-hold like CV source.

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i guess by powerful i just meant 'gnarly' in sound and timbre.

i was pondering an interesting idea of tying the out puts together just to get a wacky out put if it was possible, which would make it less of a shift register and more of wacky waveform changer.

also.... what would the reset in do? If you tossed a clock into the reset jack it would turn the chip off at rates? Or would it be more like a mute? In that it would keep doing what it was doing and just block the sound out?

thanks for all the help, sorry if these are simple or wacky questions, i still dont understand the logics to well, but i'm definitely getting there!
jnuaury

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
also.... what would the reset in do?!

as a fairly general rule with these circuits reset inputs sound similar to the sync function on a VCO when you are using the chips for audio

if you are doing control then think of it as a restart or clear
for example if the 4017 counter chip (used in the baby 10 sequencer etc) is pumping out a sequence whenever you send it a pulse it will go back to the first step no matter where it was at
if you rig up the 4015 shift register with a resistor DAC to work as a stepped voltage source it will "empty out" and go to zero volts everytime you reset it (and then start scrambling around again)

stolenfat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one more question!

can the data in receive more than just highs & lows, 1's and 0's, or squarewaves?

Could it receive a triwave/sinewave and still act properly? What about a white noise signal?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can connect arbitrary signals, however they will be converted into digital on/off signals at the input (and slowly changing signals may cause glitches) - so that's a yes and a no Very Happy.

Make sure that the signals stay within the port's power supply range, if not the chip will be killed.

Snaper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just found this old thread and breadboarded the circuit.
I can't hear anything Sad
0-5v square LFO as trigger and data but the outputs are 0V Sad

Whats wrong with it?
Steveg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will get that if you feed both clock and data from the same oscillator. Use 2 different oscillators.
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: