electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry Mega Percussive Synthesizer
Page 8 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
philpeery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking here:

http://members.cox.net/ampage/triggers.htm

http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads/pads2.htm

http://www.toontrack.com/edrum_for_free.asp

Hope this helps!
factus10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
are there somehwere advices how to build drumpads which delivers a VC for Velocity ?
something that really allows good expression on velocity.

Perhaps the SoundLab Drum Trigger?
casperelectronics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: pcb?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want one! sign me up. Where do I send money??
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The PCBs will be available from the electro-music shopfront once we've completed testing of the prototypes. Which will be in about 2-3 weeks.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The PCBs will be available from the electro-music shopfront once we've completed testing of the prototypes. Which will be in about 2-3 weeks.

Forgive me, I know this may have been covered before. So there is no reserved list? It's first come first served I suppose? I know that I wanted 8 boards, I had really just asked in private mails, but I really just have to be quick about purchasing them from the store?

Thanks
Bill
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:

Forgive me, I know this may have been covered before. So there is no reserved list? It's first come first served I suppose? I know that I wanted 8 boards, I had really just asked in private mails, but I really just have to be quick about purchasing them from the store?

Thanks
Bill

I don't know what the situations are... But just to maybe make Andy's comment clearer -- we'll be testing for the next 2-3 weeks and then the PCBs have gotta be ordered and then got to Mosc for the EM store.

Oh, here's a couple of pics too:::
-- getting on with building the prototypes - should get to sounds before too long. Once I'm a bit further down the line I'll put up the .fpd file and other docs I've gotten together on it.. I'm still amazed that all this can be fit into 3 Frac width!

BuildingMPS_Panels2.jpg
 Description:
Panels -- raw aluminium, cut to size and then covered with laser-tran-decals
 Filesize:  86.72 KB
 Viewed:  651 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BuildingMPS_Panels2.jpg

BuildingMPS_Front2.jpg
 Description:
Hardware mounted, but not wired up yet....
 Filesize:  83.95 KB
 Viewed:  594 Time(s)

BuildingMPS_Front2.jpg

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice design!
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

philpeery wrote:
I've been looking here:

http://members.cox.net/ampage/triggers.htm

http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads/pads2.htm

http://www.toontrack.com/edrum_for_free.asp

Hope this helps!

Yeah ! Very Happy

I have a Remo practice Pad here and just had a look to the inside.
thanks alot !
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
getting on with building the prototypes - should get to sounds before too long. Once I'm a bit further down the line I'll put up the .fpd file and other docs I've gotten together on it.. I'm still amazed that all this can be fit into 3 Frac width!

Very nice !! Would love to get the .fpd file. I would most likely add 1/4" jacks in place of banana jacks. I would have to see just how much room for my fingers there would be. Good work Tom ! Very Happy

It sounds like I will just have to be quick on the draw when the boards come out. Wink

Bill
bugbrand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got one of the prototypes up and running - still got to do some more investigations, but thought I'd post up some pics & details.

It is GREAT fun to play with - the scope of sounds is really fantastic! The Shell section, in particular, is very powerful - with the RingMod plus Cross-Mod from the Impact you can get some freaking amazing sounds out! I measured the freq range of the Shell section -- 27Hz to almost 19kHZ (which I can actually still hear - just!).

Still some more checking to do - and need to do some more playing! Shall do my best to record some demo sounds too....

But, right now, here's the FrontDesigner panel file and a document to help with the (pretty involved) wiring -- gotta say that it was a squeeze to fit everything into 3-frac-width, but you know I like things compact.

A couple of notes --
Switches -- the Cross-Mod is optional (but recommended) - I used one of those OnOnOn switches because I'm a banana-man but people with switching jacks could do some Normalisation here.
For the Trigger Mode I used a DPDT C/O switch to allow for the Trig to be switched off -- but, once I did the initial tests I realised I'd made a booboo and the Centre/Off position left the input comparator floating -- oooops - still gotta check this with TH, but my solution was the simple addition of a 10M pull-up resistor.

Hmmm, all this will become clearer / more use once the pcbs become available!

MPS_Finished_Front1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.38 KB
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

MPS_Finished_Front1.jpg

MPS_Finished_Back1.jpg
 Description:
Quite a lot of wiring!!!!
 Filesize:  130.23 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

MPS_Finished_Back1.jpg

MPS_FrontPanel_BugBrand.zip
 Description:
BugBrand FrontDesigner3.0 file -- zipped up!

Download
 Filename:  MPS_FrontPanel_BugBrand.zip
 Filesize:  8.1 KB
 Downloaded:  695 Time(s)

MPS_Connections_v1.pdf
 Description:
Wiring diagram for the Bugpanel

Download
 Filename:  MPS_Connections_v1.pdf
 Filesize:  931.23 KB
 Downloaded:  1006 Time(s)

toybox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking good you got a lot of knobs on that panel thumleft
bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lots of knobs 'cos of lots of functions! There's so much versatility pack in by TH!

Here's a quickly-done demo burst -- all sounds are entirely from the MPS (straight to recorder). Its triggered by one strip of my basic TrigSeq and then the noise and shell have some CV modulation along with various tweaky-knobbings.. I really like the possibilities of the Noise CV -- I've been setting the Filter to its minimum freq and opening the decay right up - this way you don't really hear the noise until you apply some CV modulation. What I did for this demo was have CV mod from the 2nd strip of my Trig Seq - darn, works nicely!

TH_MPS_demo1.mp3
 Description:
Sorry, its quite a big file - but wanted to keep the fidelity up - there's some bass in there, so listen on big-speakers!

Download
 Filename:  TH_MPS_demo1.mp3
 Filesize:  8.6 MB
 Downloaded:  1940 Time(s)

mono-poly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok now i want 4 off these Smile
toybox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

every time i hear a new sample the sound from it just amazes me it is so F'n
industrial!!!

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What brilliant sounds, I kept expecting Jeff beck to come crashing in (as usual!)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've long suspected Bugs was Jeff Beck just posing as Tom Bugs.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Great song, Tom!

I'll compare readings w/the breadboard this weekend.

Cheerio,
Scott

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I've long suspected Bugs was Jeff Beck just posing as Tom Bugs.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Great song, Tom!

I'll compare readings w/the breadboard this weekend.

Cheerio,
Scott

It's quite extraordinary what sounds Jeff beck can squeeze out of his guitar just using his fingers and a Rat Distortion, that I suppose manufactures might spend considerable sums of money trying to emulate electronically!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe Tom Bugs is Jeff Beck and he's just dreaming that he's Tom Bugs! Surprised
Or maybe Jeff Beck is Tom Bugs and he's just dreaming that he's Jeff Beck! Shocked
Or maybe!?!?,...... maybe not.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW
Who is Jeff Beck? Confused

mono-poly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom Bugs Laughing
bugbrand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ach, you guys made me chuckle!!!
Thanks a bunch!
More playing to be done!!

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Ach, you guys made me chuckle!!!
Thanks a bunch!
More playing to be done!!

Hey Bugs !!

Love the sample you put up ! I played it loud Wink These samples really give you perspective of what a module can do ! Thanks for that ! I really like this module that Thomas Henry designed VERY much and it really is a rare breed !

Oh, thanks for the Front Designer file and the "Frac" form factor which is exactly where I decided to load these bad boys, in my new "Frac" cages Very Happy. I have this program and like it. You saved me some work there man ! Wink

Bill
bugbrand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! & very happy to be able to help a little.
You're certainly gonna need a few Frac cases - you're going for 8 modules if I remember right! (enjoy the wiring!)

By the way, I'd forgotten to mention that my layout depends on using 16mm Alpha pots (or something of similar size) - being so tight, any bigger won't fit and I did have to bend all the legs up through 90degrees (actually makes it easier to make connections anyway).

A battery of 8 of these modules would be truly awesome! (though I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy just with two!)

zthee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thing rocks!

Can't wait until the PCB is avaible in the store! Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Cool! & very happy to be able to help a little.
You're certainly gonna need a few Frac cases - you're going for 8 modules if I remember right! (enjoy the wiring!)

Yes, eight is correct. Good memory Wink I like to barter things so I will only build a "FRAC" rack with four or five. I already bartered one of the MPS boards and parts kit for two power supplies from Danno-G and was happy to do that Very Happy

Quote:
By the way, I'd forgotten to mention that my layout depends on using 16mm Alpha pots (or something of similar size) - being so tight, any bigger won't fit and I did have to bend all the legs up through 90degrees (actually makes it easier to make connections anyway).

OK cool. I have a bunch of these smaller potentiometers with the 6MM shafts and I have lots of 6MM knobs as well. I am set dude !!

Quote:
A battery of 8 of these modules would be truly awesome! (though I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy just with two!)

Yes, I am sure five or even four would suffice but I have always been on the obsessive side so I immediately wanted eight Very Happy

Thanks,
Bill
Page 8 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: