electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Crafting the Perfect Drone
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
panzerkunst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Crafting the Perfect Drone Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all - first time poster and great to be abroad.

You can say I'm quite new to making electronic music. Heck, you can even get away with saying I am new to creating music in general. I've been toying around with Reason 4.0 for a few months now, as well as other cheap synthesizers.

I've acquired the basic knowledge of most synthesizers, basic effects, samplers and drum machines using Reason. The program has been a wonderful teacher and I recommend it to anyone who is just starting to experiment with electronic music and sound.

Anyways, I'm starting to babble.

My reason for posting - I've came to ask about the details of creating the perfect drone. You know. The kind of drones Steve Roach and Brain Eno can pull off. I've created my own and they are starting to mature with a decent sound, but most of the time they sound somewhat forced and rigid. Also, it really isn't short drone/pads that give me the fairest share of trouble - its long, drawn out drones that are difficult to sculpt. The kind that last 10+ seconds.

Normally, I plug a step-sequencer into the synthesizer which I craft the drone in. I use step-sequencers because I have terrible timing and sequencers make me feel secure. I know it will make sure my carefully placed notes will arrive on time.

On the synthesizer - middle-to-high attack time and high release on the amplifier envelope. Normally this is duplicated on the filter envelope. Low cutoff as well as a low resonator. A bit of low-rate LFO to add change/fluctuation on the drone and for that "tape drift" like sound. Then the final steps: plug a reverb and a delay effect into the mixer and channel them to the synthesizer. High decay on the reverb and feedback on the delay.

And that is basically how I start, further tweaking from there on. I'm sure my sound will mature more and more overtime, but I'd love to hear everyones recommendations and experiences.

Also - here is a link to a ambient/drone like piece of my creation. Let know what you think - Dreams Followed by Morning.

Thanks
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, and welcome! Nice track you linked there. Very soundtrackish. I liked it.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a thread about drones:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=drone&t=15017

In it migraneboy metioned using delay loops of varied lengths playing the same sample to create a drone - I found this very inspiring. You can do stuff like this on platforms that allow you to hook up many delays and patch them, e.g. ChucK, NMG2 or delay pedals (like Blixa Bargeld uses in some performances he does - http://www.blixa-bargeld.com/blixa-bargeld-en-projects-01.html).

I did a recording and a NMG2 patch and posted it here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21065.html

/Stefan

Drone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice sounds you've posted there on last fm. You definitely are on the right track. Keep practicing, experimenting & if you feel the sound is constricted or forced,
no matter what the envelope settings, you could always try opening up the cutoff, using different wave forms or even adding multiple layers within the patch for a smoother transition.
cheers

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: