electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 keyboard zone problem
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: G2 keyboard zone problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trying to assign the 4 slots in a performance to different keyboard zones but it seems to have no effect. All keyboard assigned slots play all at once, irrespective of where abouts on the keyboard they are allocated (using the system menu). Any solutions?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum, Angus. Glad to have you here.

I haven't tried anything with the keyboard splits. Maybe somebody who has will be able shed some light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a friendly forum Very Happy
Keyboard zones are a bit of a must-have for live performance and it would be great to get a solution.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry - perhaps I should be more clear.
I can get the keyboard zones to work when playing the keyboard on the G2, but I have problems achieving the same using a master keyboard (in this case a Yamaha P80). Zones are not that useful on the G2 itself given it only has 3 octaves but for live gigs, I want to be able to play the G2 from my stage piano.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure how you get Keyboard Split to work on a master keyboard either...
I'm sure there's a MIDI genius out there with the answer.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how you get Keyboard Split to work on a master keyboard either...
I'm sure there's a MIDI genius out there with the answer.

I am no genius but I think the P80 does not have a midi split meaning that you can assign the keyboard to 2 different sounds like bass and piano but those zones can't be assigned to different midi channels. It's just a guess.....

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
I have problems achieving the same using a master keyboard (in this case a Yamaha P80).

Oh, I didn't understand.

First, it might be a good idea to get a good midi keyboard that supports layers and zones. Kurzweil makes nice ones for this. I also have a Roland A-37 which supports 2 zones and it's almost a one button operation to change the zone separation point.

If you have a single channel midi input, then you have to be creative. If can get by with only 3 slots of actual playing synths, then use the forth slot as a midi split manager. Use some comparitors and route notes in certain ranges to certain slots using the MIDI send modules. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

I started putting midi processing patches in slot A, but several patches that people post only work on slot a, so I've moved this sort of processing to slot D. I don't do midi spliting because my keyboards can handle it.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is no need to do it the hard way I think, it seems that in the performance settings (under the performance menu or use CTRL+R) splits can be made for all four slots independently.

Jan.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK - I've worked it out. I have a tendency to resort to the forum before exploring all the logical possibilities!
FYI - my P80 does indeed have a split mode and, although they don't see fit to tell you in the manual, the lower voice transmits on midi channel 2 and the upper on channel 1. So I just went into the System menu on the G2 and set the bass voice slots to receive channel 2 data etc. etc.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
There is no need to do it the hard way I think, it seems that in the performance settings (under the performance menu or use CTRL+R) splits can be made for all four slots independently.

Jan.

Wow, I obviously didn't know that... thanks
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: