electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Page 3 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yikes! My flesh starts to crawl whenever the words "theater" and "organ" get any where near each other Shocked
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Yikes! My flesh starts to crawl whenever the words "theater" and "organ" get any where near each other Shocked

Is that a recent discovery?
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
DrJustice wrote:
@ bachus : I like your Quests! --

Thanks but actually they're Prodigys

Ooops, they look sort of similar Smile
Anyway, great speakers those Martin Logans. That hybrid solution is a great idea!

DJ
--
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
That hybrid solution is a great idea!
--

Still it is not a "perfect" solution.
And there's the relatively narrow sweet spot.
But the sentitivity,clarity, low distortion make up it many times over for me.

bachus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
bachus wrote:

Is that a recent discovery?
Shocked

I think it comes and goes. Just last night I was dreaming of shooting Robert Hope Jones out of a 128 foot Diaphonic Ophicleide voiced on ten thousand pounds per inch wind pressure. Beautiful in its own way and less bizarre than how he died.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Robert Hope Jones, yes... I seem to remember that he supposedly killed himself because he had invented all there was to invent organ wise and he became so depressed that he eventually decided to go for the final stop.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

It is also quite easy to service.. and the circuitry is pretty cool.

I have to agree. I remember them as being rather fun to trouble shoot, and I can't say that about very many things.

Well, have a good time with it for sure! And I promise not to shoot you with any diaphonic weapons. Twisted Evil

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
And I promise not to shoot you with any diaphonic weapons. Twisted Evil

But I can still hire you for contract work? Right?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alas, no new gear for awhile I had to buy this, so I could make more money, so I can buy more gear Very Happy

truck.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.27 KB
 Viewed:  646 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

truck.jpg

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You´ve got snow! Shocked Very Happy

Over here in Norway there is mostly rain right now. Lots!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Living, as I do, seven minutes walk from Stein, I can vouch for the veracity of his statement. I'd even go so far as to say that right now, Trondheim is ALL rain! Shocked

Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dragon's Lair, what car is that? And what is it that you do that makes one of those a money making asset? I ask in a purely non-judgemental spirit, just curious.
It's a nice car, actually.

Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Yes, we've been missing that here in sweden too for the last two winters... I wonder if we ever get to see it again... Crying or Very sad

However, now it's spring outside and really nice and warm weather Smile

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: New gear!
Subject description: Gear acquisition syndrome - confess now!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One musical instrument attracts another.

I went to my jam band with my Yamaha MM6 and what do you know but the guitar player said "I have this old synth nobody plays....wanna borrow it?" And he brings this monster Roland D-20 that weighs 50 lbs.

Well I know how "borrowing" musical instruments works. They rarely actually want them back but they don't want to "get rid of" them. Laughing And even if you don't actually NEED another one, you never turn one down! Laughing Laughing

I took it home and put the 2 synths side by side.

The Yamaha is much easier to use and it has hundreds of patches. I can't find more than 3 patches on the D-20. On the other hand, the sound on that Roland is AMAZING. I understand the fuss about "Analog". It's like a record player vs. a CD.

Then again, that monster is a back killer, and my Yam I can lift with one hand.

roland d20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.29 KB
 Viewed:  36457 Time(s)

roland d20.jpg

Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laura, isn't the D-20 actually just a D-10 with added sequencer and a couple of other bells and whistles? I used to have a D-110 module, but that got lost when a repair shop folded while some of my stuff was there. In addition to the D-110, i lost an Akai ASQ sequencer (can't remember the number, but it was the one without the drum pads from the late 80s) and a C-Audio power amp. Ah well.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!

Anyways, the D-20 is a hybrid of sorts.. not really a true analog synth. THat said, it can sound pretty massive.

You can find the manual online somewhere over at the Roland site.

Some info here:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/d20.shtml

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I do have a D-110 and a U-110 somewhere! Laughing

Oskar, do you want them in your rack?

I can throw in a Yamaha DX synth as well. The DX is a keyboard model.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Nice!

Anyways, the D-20 is a hybrid of sorts.. not really a true analog synth. THat said, it can sound pretty massive.

Some info here:

Thanks. I'll tell you how massive it is. The BASS sounds kill so massively that if our bass player doesn't show up... I could just take over for him! Laughing

Now, if I could just master that "playing with both hands" thing.

Working on it!

Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Nice!

Some info here:

Thanks. I'll tell you how massive it is. The BASS sounds kill so massively that if our bass player doesn't show up... I could just take over for him! Laughing

Working on it!

Needs must when the Devil drives!
Speaking from my own experience as a lesser practitioner of keyboard intruments, I'd say that the best thing is to throw yourself in at the deep end (no pun intended Cool ), as I was part of a band called Live Poets Soeciety, where I had to play both pads, stabs and melody stuff with my right hand, while keeping a bass groove going with my left. I suppose my inexpertise was a boon, as I couldn't get too clever, leaving ample room for the guitarist and the vocalists/poetry readers.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:

Working on it!

Quote:
Needs must when the Devil drives!
Speaking from my own experience as a lesser practitioner of keyboard intruments, I'd say that the best thing is to throw yourself in at the deep end (no pun intended Cool ), as I was part of a band called Live Poets Soeciety, where I had to play both pads, stabs and melody stuff with my right hand, while keeping a bass groove going with my left. I suppose my inexpertise was a boon, as I couldn't get too clever, leaving ample room for the guitarist and the vocalists/poetry readers.

Yeah. I started playing in November. We have a killer lead guitarist so nobody expects me to do anything fancy. Wink

I get the impression they're glad to have anybody at all playing keys 'cause I guess key players aren't that easy to find. (compared with guitarists anyway.)

jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I picked myself up a Bass for my birthday last year, and since also picked up a Boss COSM Wah pedal, a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, etc.

I also recently picked up some JBL EON15 G2 loudspeakers. Does everything that has G2 on it sound good? These things kick serious butt as monitors or PA,
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Dragon's Lair, what car is that? And what is it that you do that makes one of those a money making asset? I ask in a purely non-judgemental spirit, just curious.

It's a GMC 1 tonne, 4 wheel drive pick up truck with a 6.5L diesel engine.
I do home renovations for a living, and I needed something big enough to carry all the lumber, drywall etc, that I use on a job, which saves me on delivery costs.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oskar wrote:

It's a GMC 1 tonne, 4 wheel drive pick up truck with a 6.5L diesel engine.
I do home renovations for a living, and I needed something big enough to carry all the lumber, drywall etc, that I use on a job, which saves me on delivery costs.

Oh. I thought you meant for taking all your Music Gear to the Gigs. Laughing

jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^ If that were the case, then Dragon's avatar just wouldn't have the same irony Smile

(...money for nothin', chicks for free...)
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I picked myself up a Bass for my birthday last year, and since also picked up a Boss COSM Wah pedal, a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, etc.

I also recently picked up some JBL EON15 G2 loudspeakers. Does everything that has G2 on it sound good? These things kick serious butt as monitors or PA,

What bass?

Page 3 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: