electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
filter vs volume range question
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
petery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject:  filter vs volume range question
Subject description: filter vs volume range
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just got my A6 serviced (since I've got it used) and just sarted to enjoy all amazing fitures of the synth... Have to say I love it... Specialy Mix mode where you can build up t0 16 parts and control them with MIDI controler data independently even if you have same program assiged to few of them...

One thing is I'm not sure about if it's normal behavior or not... I guess it depends on the patch but on my A6 both LP filters (for lets say normal bass patch) almost tripple volume when they open. Also they reach almost completely open state at 12 o'clock of knob position so 50% of the range after that does not change much... and of cause they triple the volume of the program at that state...

Is there a way to adjust the range of how far you have to rotate the knob to the point where it's open completely (for example so it would go up to at least 3 o'clock position befor it's completely opned)? Also what is the best way to compensate for the volume increase without reducing the volume level of the part in the Mix thus compensating when a filter opens (without using outboard compressor)?

Thanks,
Peter
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 adjust the offsets found on the filter and filtermodultionpages
2 afcourse opening a filter increases the upperfreq and thereby the volume.
either take waveform with less upperfreq like sine , or ( better), adjust the volume. so just keep your hand close to a volume pot ( postfilter or main) i guess.
same thing will happen when appying a mod to the filter like an eg. although there you can also try applying the same mod inverted to the vca ( beware "slow loop")
petery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for quick responce...

Is there any way to combine reduction of volume and opening the filter? Like assign volume to the filter knob in reverse and triger it in the same time when you triger the filter? I guess it's not a big deal doing it separatly but it would be nice to be able to create a program with that fiture...

Thanks,
Peter
petery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also how do you intialize the User Mix? I've tried to follow the manual but I think it initialized all User Mixes for some reason...

Thanks,
Peter
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1assign the ribbon or the mod wheel ,to both filtercutoff(positive) and egvolume( negative)
2. make one personaldefaultpatch and copy it, at least that's what kept me busy for a while after i bought it. learned a lot of it though.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Is there any way to combine reduction of volume and opening the filter? Like assign volume to the filter knob in reverse and triger it in the same time when you triger the filter? I guess it's not a big deal doing it separatly but it would be nice to be able to create a program with that fiture...

I am not sure why you would want to do this since opening and closing the filter *will* affect volume either way. Same thing with the resonance. If you are referring specifically to the Moog VCF, then there is a technique in the Tips and Tricks doc that fixes the volume issue, which is good if you would like to emulate some Roland synths, but it's a compromise. Maybe an upward compressor or limiter will do what you want?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: