electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Ideas for future OS updates
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Ideas for future OS updates Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I'd start a thread containing the things people want for future OS updates. I figure once the list gets long enough we could send a link to Clavia? Then they'd know what we all want. To start the ball rolling, a couple of ideas I saw on the mailing list and a couple of my own also:

* Knobs/values that remain static throughout all variations. Changing the values of these would change the value for all variations.
* Ability to set what patch and what mode the G2 defaults to when switched on. For example, patch mode, bank 3 patch 12 in slot A.
* Ability to save a group of modules to a file which appears in the right click menu. When one such file is selected, this group of modules can be placed in the current patch, eliminating the need for copy/pasting from other patches to get pre-programmed groups of modules. For example, a "warm analogue filter with distortion" group of modules could be created to be placed in whatever patch you want at the click on a button.
* Perhaps for an oscillator you could select the functions you want the oscillator to have. For example, when you click on this oscillator a window pops up and you tick which funtions you want (like only saw/pulse waves, pitch and sync input with no other funtions). These would self optimise depending on what functions are selected. Same could work for filters, LFO's and envelopes. Would probably be a bitch to program tho...
* Fix the bloody "Lost USB Contact" bug that occurs once every hour or so during editting!!!

Anyone else have any ideas for future OS updates?
Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good ideas, specially the 'save modules to file' one.

Add to that the idea to 'fold' a group of modules into a group icon.
This way you could make complex patches without getting lost.

I have seen the 'USB connection lost' message once, when my system was more busy than normal. After a restart it was OK.
It could have something to do with the load of your system.
It is a good idea to close all programs you do not need at the time (email, internet connection, etc).

Richard
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread is a kind of good idea; Clavia will probably appreciate the feedback. OTOH, in any kind of list such as this, sometimes some of the suggestions are so impractical as to be absurd. I'd suggest that people making the suggestions limit them to minor enhancements, along with hose that move the instrument in the same direction it is going; rather than changes that fundamentally alter the nature of the instrument.

That said, I'd like to see:

- "Are you sure?" confirmation on the New and Init buttons; perhaps remove them from the "front panel" altogether and have them only in the menus. I've lost work becasue of these!

- Better implementation of the "sustain" pedal. If sus. pedal is turned off for a patch, that pedal is completely unavailable, even from the Device module. Seems to me the "sustain pedal" switch should only turn off the "sustain" (KB Hold) functionality; it should still be possible to use the pedal for otehr things, in the same way the pitch stick can be used if the bend function is turned off.

- Multiple sequences per sequencer - that is, collections of sequences that can be selected with some sort of control input, but all residing in the same sequencer.

- Across-variation editing, as someone else suggested. Either give the abilty to lock a parameter from variation, or provide a mode (shift-key?) that allows an edit to apply across all variations. I bet the latter is a lot easier to implement than the former.

- Fix the incorrect "SR32" icon in the Delay section.

- Ability to select all modules of a specific color (very minor, but would simplify some clipboard operations).

- Ability to specifically adjust module execution order, assuming it's easy and practical.

- A "value display" module, with numeric and/or graphic readouts. This would be invaluable for debugging.

- Better resolution on the pitch stick. It seems to be only 7-bit; would be nice to have more bits if that's not a hardware limitation.

- A way to start or stop the master clock from a patch!

- A graphic EQ or fixed filter bank module. They are a pain to build from individual filters.

- Modulable decay and/or damping in the string oscillator. Also, better pitch tracking in the string oscillator. And reduce the processing load of the string oscillator too! (can you tell that I love that module?)

- An external utility that can convert DX7 / DX100 / etc. sysex to G2 patches.

- Variable band tuning in the vocoder. Probably only two parameters, (tuning and spacing) - this would facilitate building high-band-count vocoders.

- This one would be tough - but I'd like to be able to assign the knob and the button of a pair separately, allowing them to be used for completely different functions.

That should keep the guys busy for a while :')
jamos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, duh - how could I have forgotten?

- Either a tap tempo feature, or a tempo (aka BPM) extraction module. That would be uber-cool... :')
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, I agree, a tap-tempo!!! Shouldn't be too difficult, would it?
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad that someone mentioned a tap tempo function. I have been wondering how to sync percussive synth sounds with tempo of live music given than no drummer in the world can start at a specific BPM and keep to it exactly for the duration of a song.
Does anyone out there have any solutions? Maybe a connected MIDI device that has a tap tempo button that can be used as the master clock??
pstnotpd

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh boy, Déjà Vu all over again.....

- Matrix module
- Sampling (even if it is small amounts like 16k)
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey pstnotpd, what do you mean, exactly? Is sampling your wish for the G2 (get one!), or do you mean this to be necessary for tap-tempo? And what matrix module? Sorry for being a moron, but I don't quite understand your post.
pstnotpd

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a long thread on the mailinglist while OS1.2 was being built. These were some things on my wishlist.

Matrix module: a modulation matrix like on the ems synthi range. This would allow for flexibility in patch routing without using loads of mixers. Check out my Matrix performance in the archive to see what I mean.

Sampling: the main reason for not having sampling seems to be the small memory, but I do own a Fairlight II which worked with 16kbyte samples. I imagine it would be possible to store those in internal memory somehow. But I think the jury is still out on this one.

Anyway, the wishlist is a good idea. Maybe a seperate forum? It works wonders on the Doepfer group where they use polls.
jamos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, this is fun.

A quadrature LFO would be nice: something that could produce two sine or other waves, with phase offset by 90 degrees. This inspiration for this is the old Mutron Bi-phase, which used quadrature sine waves driving two phase-shifters for a continuous-motion effect. It sounds purty.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pstnotpd wrote:

Anyway, the wishlist is a good idea. Maybe a seperate forum? It works wonders on the Doepfer group where they use polls.

I've been busy chasing down bugs with the mailing list. This is starting to sound good - about the wish list forum. Good suggestion, it was made before but when you mentioned the polls, that his a chord.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, the new Wish List Forum is installed, under Clavia Nord Modular. I'm not sure what kind of polls are approprate, but obviously pstnotpd has some experience, so I request that you initiate that forum with an appropriate posting. Please let me know if there are any problems, suggested changes, or whatever....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: