electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Waldorf Blofeld!!!
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Waldorf Blofeld!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blofeld is really released now. It seems it can be shipped wroldwide though the below distributor from German

http://www.touched-by-sound.com/

I am going to buy one, any one have other idea about this module?

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Waldorf Blofeld!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fky wrote:
Blofeld is really released now. It seems it can be shipped wroldwide though the below distributor from German

http://www.touched-by-sound.com/

I am going to buy one, any one have other idea about this module?

Novamusik is also taking orders
http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Manufacturer&keyword=21&mid=21
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have pre ordered and I am getting increasingly excited!!!

Thomann have changed the availability to "a few days" so it could possibly be on my doorstep this week!?
Thomann is german right!? so I guess potentially I could be one of the first people to get this synth? "haa haa"

anyway, I think this synth is what I have been waiting for, as I have been debating getting a Q or similar for ages and then this comes out of the blue just as I have some dosh! yippee! I have been after a new synth for ages and really wanted one with loads of knobs etc but i guess I can control the blofeld with a BCR thingy so should all be good.

sorry, just a little excited.
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

totally jinxed it with^^^that post!

Availability has changed to "shipment due to arrive on 24/12/07" doh!
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had this little beast for about 2 weeks now.... it seems I was one of the first oversees customers to get one as alot of people are still waiting!?

Right, there are a few niggles with this machine, i.e. random volumes for presets, low output volume... which will probably sorted in the next OS, but are not major problems really.
anyway, it really is a beast! sound is typical Waldorf with all XT wavetables and Q presets, great filter section with comb, PPG etc, The effects are a ton better than I thought esspecially the drive/distortion.... You can be all smooth and creamy and with a couple of twiddles its hard, dirty and very nasty!
The amount of routing possibilities makes plenty of scope for much weirdness.

A perfect (cheap) addition to anyone who likes a bit of strange synth in their setup. Thumbs up from me.

Editor's note: Please, do not double post - seraph
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have heard there were some bugs in the initial version. But there is a downloadable version 1.02 - does this fix the major bugs?

Also, can anyone tell me if I will be able to replace my Microwave XT with one of these? Any differences in sound, or missing features (other than the number of knobs)?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno.. it kinda is all ( or almost all ) previous Waldorfs. I found some excellent PPG stuff in there as well. It seems to well built. The interface is a bit like the microrackthingies.

Obviously what you are lacking here is the sub out pair that the XT has. The Blofeld has a single stereo output. Considering the price this is not really a problem. You only need to buy more Blofelds: Problem solved.

My verdict so far is that the Blofeld is briliant.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Word has it Waldorf stopped including user tuning tables in all synths made after the Microwave... including the Blofeld...

Also, the Microwave had analog filters.

Some old stuff on VIRB
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zoomtheline wrote:
I have had this little beast for about 2 weeks now....

Hi Zoomtheline,

I have a question about the midi connections on the Blofeld. The Waldorf site says that the Blofeld does not have standard 5-pin midi DIN connectors, it has a USB connector for midi instead. That may be OK if you only have one or two synths and you want to connect the Blofeld directly to a USB port on your computer, but how the heck would you connect this synth to a multi-synth midi system? For example, I use a large 8-port MIDI patchbay / router in my synth rig and I would need some way to connect the Blofeld to this type of equipment that has standard 5-pin midi DIN connectors, not USB conectors.

I've looked around for a simple USB-to-MIDI adapter, but all of them are the opposite of what the Blofeld needs. They are all USB "A" connectors to midi, not USB "B" connectors (so the USB end is for connecting to your computer, not for connecting to external devices like the Blofeld). Any suggestions?

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
The Waldorf site says that the Blofeld does not have standard 5-pin midi DIN connectors, it has a USB connector for midi instead. ...

What I read on the whale village site and have 'heard' elsewhere on the net is that it has a midi-in (no out/thru) din connector + usb for midi in and out. No problems with good old-fashioned midi cables, as long as you have it on the end of your chain.

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry Dave,

For any device to talk over MIDI, it's going to need a driver that understands how the device enumerates, and thus how to configure the device. That, typically, means an OS like Windows, Linux, or MAC. It's possible to make an embedded controller that can might talk to the blofeld, but you'd probably need someone that can decode the USB protocol it uses, or get that info direct from Waldorf.

I'd guess you're easiest/only option is to use a computer to route between various USB attached devices, and a (USB attached?) MIDI Router (using MIDIOX or similar). Maybe a nanoITX board? USB, by the way, can support up to 256 devices attached to it, and USB 1.1 probably has enough bandwidth to support 256 MIDI ports (12MHz / 31.25kHz >= 256).

-jk*
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a midi in port.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kvnvk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, a single MIDI in port and that's it. just picked up a used Blofeld for a good price and I've been playing around with it for the last couple of days. I was really surprised at how easy it was to figure out the user interface, only had to crack the quick start guide and scan through it and I was jumping and scrolling through all the parameters in no time. the sound of the Blofeld does remind me quite a bit of the Microwave XT I had a few years ago.
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, yes the blofeld has a typical midi in only and also the usb (which I have only used to download the upgrades OS)

All of my gripes about this machine have been corrected by the new update,
especially the crashing which was getting a tad annoying!
since the update my love for the blofeld has grown. It continues to suprise me everytime I start tweaking with it.

Its a banging little synth! especially for the money!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doesn´t the paint job thingie around the display tend to peel off just by looking at it? Shocked Crying or Very sad It kinda looks a bit daft.. someone else have this problem?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

erm, no sorry!

I did actually drop it on a concrete floor the other day and expected to see alot of chips etc............ but it was pristine! ha

I do have a sticky knob though! fnar
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... perhaps I have a dud here. I´ll kick some ass and get a fresh one. Either that or I´ll have to spray with some of that mid 80s salmon beige paint.

Anyways, the Blofeld is seriously good. Salmon beige feels wrong though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kvnvk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no peeling paint on mine either, but now you have me worried. Shocked
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I post this topic several month ago. However, due to some oversea shipping problem in China, I finally choose a second hand Waldorf Micro Q and ordered a New Nord G2 from local Clavia distributor in China.

Would someone please tell me what is the difference between the sounds of micro-q and Blofeld, It seems like the sounds and synth theroy from Blofeld is quite similar to the VST Komplexer.Very glassy and digital cold! It that real?

probably I will get on in the late of this year for my live stuffs in the future.

rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

My verdict so far is that the Blofeld is briliant.

Have you made any recordings yet on your Blofeld you'd care to share with us?

I have only found the demos on Waldorf's site, plus those from Stefan Trippler. What I've heard sounds very good, though!

Thanks

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-No recordings yet that make any sense since the stuff I´ve done so far are only parts of much larger stuff. I rehearse bits and parts and sections to click tracks and try to make sense of the piece as a whole.

Anyways, I returned the Blofeld. They´ll send me a new one. For some reason something was seriously wrong with the paint job. Right now I´m busy patching on the dotcom and the Ion. I shouldn´t though. What I really should be doing is building two portable cabinets ASAP. The dotcom 22 unit wide cabinet form factor is a bit to large for me.. and the 11 unit wide portable dotcoms are too small. I haven´t decided yet on a width of 12 or 14 units. Two rows of 14 units in each portable cab seems reasonable to me. I should probably build three because I need to a place for the two Klees and all the other DIY stuff.
I guess I´ll throw in some multis at the bottom of the cabs and a slot for a lexicon multieffect or something of the sort.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kvnvk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that paint peeling issue was kind of odd, guess maybe the particular unit you had wasn't prepped properly before being painted.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess you are right. Anyways, it will be sorted out. I want my Blofeld back. Very Happy Or rather, I´ll be getting a new one.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
fac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The dotcom 22 unit wide cabinet form factor is a bit to large for me.. and the 11 unit wide portable dotcoms are too small. I haven´t decided yet on a width of 12 or 14 units. Two rows of 14 units in each portable cab seems reasonable to me. I should probably build three because I need to a place for the two Klees and all the other DIY stuff.

Another option is to use the 8-space rack frames to build a 16-space wide cabinet.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually considered that. I guess I simply like building stuff. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: