electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Ambiophonic encoder
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Ambiophonic encoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ambiophonic encoders are used to playback stereo in a way that many people prefer to conventional stereo speaker placement of 60 degrees. With ambiophonics, the speakers are placed closer together, 10 degree, an a special crosstalk canceler is used to spread out and create a very natural spacial image. It works very well with binaural recordings, but it works well with any stereo signal.

We have a special sub-forum set up for ambiophonic sound so I won't go into too many details here ( http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-164.html ). Presented here is an ambiophonic encoder realized on the G2. The patch can take input from the G2 external inputs as well as the internal busses.

This is a very deluxe patch in that it lets one experiment quite a bit with the ambiophonic parameters. Here is a block diagram of the RACE encoder developed by Robin Miller, a member here. This patch is a realization of that algorithm.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

If you have a G2X or a G2 keyboard you'll find it every easy to adjust this in real time with the knobs on page A1. The patch can be loaded in any slot. For convenience I've mapped 4 variations to the slots:

1 -> A
2 -> B
3 -> C
4 -> D

If you aren't using the knobs, then there is no reason to care what slot your using as the slot specific stuff is just used to route the knobs.

It's easy to turn on and off the encoder, and you can set the filters and control them with the bypass switches on knobs 7 and 8.

Ambiophonics doesn't work with headphones. It's designed to listen to binaural recordings with speakers. When you have it set up right, you'll notice that you must be sitting pretty much exactly on the center line between the speakers at a distance that makes them 10 degrees apart. I've found a little trick:

In both hands make the "thumbs up" sign. Then hold your arms out straight in front of you with your thumb tips touching while you keep your thumbs horizontal. If you then look at your speakers, they should be "sitting" on top of each hand. That's about the right angular separation.

If it is working correctly, you'll find that the sound stage is much wider than the speakers. That's one of the points of this. In regular stereo, apparent location is an allusion created by the Inter-aural Level Difference (ILD). One of the problems is that a sound coming from the center is played from the two speakers that are widely (60 degrees) separated. Many people can hear what is called the hole in the middle. After some extended listening, on starts to find this tiering and the illusion goes away. Also, the center imaged sounds have timberal distortion.

In ambiophonics, the delays in the encoder set up cross canceling between the left and right ears. The stereo image is created then by Inter-aural Time Differences (ITD). It is amazing how wide the imaging is. In ambiophonics, the center image has the least distortion, but the sound on the extreme right and left are slightly distorted. But this is usually what is wanted in music.

As I said before, you must sit very close to the center line. The "sweet spot" is very small in ambiophonics. It's very small in stereo, but we have gotten used to that.

Anyhow, forgive the long explaination. Give it a try. I'd like to hear how it goes.

I've included a simple patch that makes panned sounds so you can test it. I prefer to listen to recordings myself but I found the patch useful when I was debugging the encoder patch.

Suggested values:

delay: 70 micro seconds
Filter: 500 thru 5000 Hz
Feeback: about -6 Db.

Feel free to experiment with the settings. I find I like it with no feedback and the filters off sometimes, but then I have to lower the ambio gain control to reduce distortion.

Ambio Encoder 3.pch2
 Description:
An ambiophonic encoder patch...

Download
 Filename:  Ambio Encoder 3.pch2
 Filesize:  3.93 KB
 Downloaded:  3035 Time(s)

Panning sounds.pch2
 Description:
A simple patch that pans some sound. Good for testing ambiophonic encoders...

Download
 Filename:  Panning sounds.pch2
 Filesize:  1.59 KB
 Downloaded:  2930 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: