electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
recording "skipping" in adobe audition 1.5
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
choklitlove

Audio files: 17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: recording "skipping" in adobe audition 1.5
Subject description: not limited to audition either...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i bought a new computer with a great processor and 4G of ram in hopes to forever avoid simple problems like this. i have the system's page file disabled, having the system write everything directly to the RAM, which should make it even faster. there must be something missing though...

when recording, the ram meter stays full, but the waveform that audition draws starts to get behind. then when you playback what you recorded, it cut out chunks of what you played. like a "skip". i am using a USB mixer with windows' built-in asio drivers.

this is not a problem that is only with audition. when i try to capture a video from a camera in windows movie maker with a usb capture device, i have lag problems with it as well.

these two programs with identical settings and hardware worked perfectly on another computer with less than 2G of RAM.

any ideas? the simplest ideas are welcome because i'm at a total loss. thanks!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xp or vista?

when yo press ctrl+alt+del you'll get the task manager (or close to it) telling you about memory & processor usage as well as about what runs and what is loaded, anything that eats processor time, or memory?

choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XP. i can't check right now for a detailed reply, but i checked earlier and nothing to speak of shows in task manager. as soon as i can, i'll check again with more details.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dual core?

Not that I know any answers, just trying to zoom in.

A recent PC ... so ... it was sold with Vista maybe waith an XP upgrade package?

Maybe sounds like a driver problem ... usb related maybe ... you do not have these problems with the internal (motherboard) sound card?

choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

core 2 duo CPU
T8300 @ 2.40GHz
790 MHz, 3.49 GB of RAM

i ordered it with XP, not and downgrade package or anything that i know of. i attempted to upgrade the drivers on the intel usb ports, but evidently i already had the latest. and i haven't tested recording much with the soundcard.
choklitlove

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still haven't figured this out. i posted on an audition board as well, but no answers. i did find that it works fine recording with the soundcard.

but that's not good enough anymore...

i might just sell the mixer and get a firewire one. see what happens.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A driver problem? Could be.

I have no idea what is going on. As for recording to ram, you should be able to record like 8 tracks to your HD with no problems at all. You could do that 15 years ago on what is now antique gear. This doesn´t compute.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
choklitlove

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i know. it's driving me nuts. and i'm not computer stupid, so i checked everything i could think of. none of it makes sense. the people on the audition board suggested it might be a graphics card problem. i posted all info here:
[url]
http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amforum/forums.html?PHPSESSID=a6d9e170224a5d303814c69758210c5b&topic=6866.0[/url]

i got no idea.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, time for some wild ideas ...

Maybe it is a dual core problem?

like in : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

Some Dells seem to have bios support for turning on/off dual core support, which could be a way to pinpoint problems with that: http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/dual-core-on-or-off/14570.html - this is not your model though, but maybe it works like it.

Dell seems to have some bios trouble with the inspiron 1520 freezing, look here.

Squonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: recording "skipping" in adobe audition 1.5

Try changing the recorder buffer size and the number of recording buffers. The help portion in the setting page isn't a great help, but it looks like whether you go up or down on these values depends on your computer. I went down on the number of recording buffers and still had the problem. I then went up to 15 buffers and increased the size to 4 seconds and at least the test recording had no problems.

choklitlove wrote:
i bought a new computer with a great processor and 4G of ram in hopes to forever avoid simple problems like this. i have the system's page file disabled, having the system write everything directly to the RAM, which should make it even faster. there must be something missing though...

when recording, the ram meter stays full, but the waveform that audition draws starts to get behind. then when you playback what you recorded, it cut out chunks of what you played. like a "skip". i am using a USB mixer with windows' built-in asio drivers.

this is not a problem that is only with audition. when i try to capture a video from a camera in windows movie maker with a usb capture device, i have lag problems with it as well.

these two programs with identical settings and hardware worked perfectly on another computer with less than 2G of RAM.

Squonk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: recording "skipping" in adobe audition 1.5

Okay, I spoke too quickly. The advice I gave you was for multi-track, which may or may not help you. It 'seemed' to have helped me. But my use is turning LPs into CDs and the problem came back. Weird. Not consistent and will just pop up at different times. But NOW I have it working. Here's what I did...

1- Turned off the internet connection, firewall and anything else not needed. Don't know how important this was, just that doing only this did NOT fix the problem before.

2-Went into Settings/System and set...
Total Buffer Size to 4 seconds and with 20 Buffers
EV Preview Buffer of 400 ms
Cache Size of 125000 k bytes

No more problems. Well, at least with one side of an LP recorded. One that I had recorded about 5 times, each time with 2 or more yips in it. This one nice and clean.

Hope it works for you.

Lastly, the internet didn't prove useful in finding this solution. Neither did Audition's help file. The info was found when you clicked the Help button on the actual Settings dialog box.

choklitlove wrote:

gordonjay

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: recording "skipping" in adobe audition 1.5

choklitlove wrote:

oh i remember those days. the RAM meter.

a lot of the best things have already been said, but is it really true that windows included ASIO drivers? my version doesn't have any. anyways, i would not trust them. if you are unfamiliar with asio4all i recommend you try it out.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My gut reaction on a "new" system is motherboard drivers.
New computers are often setup using XP alone, when they really need to have up to date, system specific motherboard drivers installed.
They impact USB functionality and hard drive access more than anything.
There's also a chance that the "dual core optimiser" could help.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: