electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Sherman FilterBank/ Sherman Quad Modular Emulations?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
modul8tr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Sherman FilterBank/ Sherman Quad Modular Emulations? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I'm a Nord Modular G1 user.

Wondering if anyone has built a model of the Sherman FilterBank or the Sherman Quad Modular? Or even expanded upon it?

Can't seem to find any info, but would imagine it's been done.

Also wondering if any models have been created of the Mutronics Mutator

I'm in a major "massive filter" mood this week.

Thanks for any info. . . and keep it hummin.

Thanks,
Greg
Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are thining of stepfiltering and more? i am working on such patches now but hey are just specific patches for certain songs.. not emulations or made for general purpose use. i am pretty certain yu can find far better patches out here already. i haven´t bothered to look. i have to learn the device anyway.

i have always used stepfiltering a lot. many of my more rythmically oriented songs are full of it.. all over the place.
You can check out this old song: http://elektro80.electro-music.com/music/A_Scanner_Darkly.MP3

the "bass that kicks in at the start.. or almost at the start.. is a mono CAT/Moog style bass with added distortion, a mono to stereo reverb and then heavy stepfiltering.
The Sherman is a new device and the way I look at it.. it is great sounding but not as useful as a full modular rig. There is no sense in emulating the Sherman because the Clavia box will let you set up patches that are more tuned to a specific song. I am amazed by how good all this new gear is.

An alternative is building a modular filtering machine basd on DIY kits. oakley makes some amazing modules. You could get some of those VCF modules.. and perhaps some envelop modules and VCA modules too.
If you really wanna mess up the sound yu will also need some outboard compressors and limters. The Alesis 3060 ( ? ) is great and cheap and it will do the job. If you wanna do the DIY stuff , remember that you probably hafta get 2 of each module... stereo you know.. stepfiltering is best when you can generate a stereo signal. Awesome.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice piece of music, Elektro...

What instruments did you use on it?

Richard
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX Rix.
Instruments.. I am not quite sure in the sense that I can make a complete and correct list. I made many versions of the various voices using all sorts of gear, so I am not completely sure what ended up here in this mix.

Of the gear that was in use .. but not all are in here.. or maybe they are..( I have to check the comments in Cubase.)
MS 20, DW 8000, Octave Cat 2, a modified Phonosonic sequencer, Cubase 5 VST32, Jupiter 6, PPG Wave 2.3, Waldorf PPG, G-Media M-Tron, Steinberg The Grand, Chappel piano, some guitars, Halion, Motu 828, 2 Roland SVC-350 , NI Pro 5, Minimoog, Fender Rhodes, two Røde microphones and an AKG, NI B4, that Steinberg moogish VST synth thingie.. I always remeber its name, a midi CV interface, a CSQ 100, a drummer and his synthdrums.. a Yamaha whatsitsname.. and some Roland pads of some sort, possibly a ProMars, some Eela compressors/limiters/gates, an old filterrack partly based on the Format....and Alesis microVerb ( I think that is its name.. I always forget.. and some macs. Hmm.. I dragged a B-3 in at the time for some organ recordings.. but I don´t think that one ended up here. At least I cannot hear that one.. but the B4 is in here. ..right.. and a girl.. for some of the voice sounds.. Anyway.. in essence this was mainly a virtual instrument thingie and I added some real gear just because I needed some extra textures and timbres. However the conditions where I used to live made it a hellish job to use microphones. Hmm.. yes.. there is a Roland jazzchorus in here.. I patched some shit thru that one. The virtual gear was mostly far superior to the real gear.. so I kinda progressively downscaled during the recording sessions.
Anyway.. some general info can surely be found somewhere here..
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69
and this song comes from this thread.. and I guess there is some relevant info in there somewhere regarding gear:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-815.html

Uhh.. all this is kinda offtopic.. anyway.. yes.. I use filters a lot for processing.. and the Nord Modular 1/classic/G1 whatever.. is just excellent...
I just checked out the new Sherman pages and that Sherman 2 device seems like one hot sausage..

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
modul8tr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Elektro,

Nice work on that track.. Lots of tasty and interesting synth textures in there. Lush. . . . I like lush. Love that piano'ish sound near the end.

Yes, I was only partially talking about stepfiltering. I know the Nord is awesome at customizing a patch to a song. This would be something down the road in my use of this emulation. Part of the equation.

Mainly I was an interested in the Sherman emulation as a stand-alone processor first. That way I could rip up guitars and drums and violins and whatever else I wanted to send through it and record them into Pro Tools or to tape. . . or to tape then to Pro Tools. As a source for generating interesting and unexpected textures.

Again love the track. Kudos.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Greg
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: