electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Klee 2 Demonstration at Analog Heaven 2008 in Bolton, MA
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Klee 2 Demonstration at Analog Heaven 2008 in Bolton, MA Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must say, I had lots of fun out at the Analog Heaven North East and while I was there I had done one of the first public demonstrations, at least I think one of the first, of the Scott Stites Klee 2 sequencer.

Pictured below is the rig I used. It consisted of the Korg EM-1 music production station providing backing beats and MIDI output. I set one of the tracks in the EM-1 sequencer to output NOTE data at 16th's, 8th's, or whatever I wanted. Even irregular timings were used. These MIDI notes were fed into a PAiA MIDI-CV unit in "analog drum mode" and converted the MIDI data into trigger pulses. The triggers were then routed to the Klee's CLOCK input. Another EM-1 track was used to LOAD a Klee pattern anywhere within the EM-1 pattern to create Klee "stuttering" by utilizing the EXT LOAD feature of hte Klee. This setup created the perfect merge of the digial/MIDI world to the Klee/analog world.

The Klee GATES and TRIGGERS fired off ADSR and AD circuits with then fed my home brew SSM2164 based VCA's. I tell you right now, experiment with the BUS MERGE functions and use your GATE input of your ADSR's if you want to get some real variation. You can go for hours !!!

The Klee CV's controlled three oscillators and filters, were mixed using a Blacet Mixer/processor, then sent that audio to the VCA's.

The demonstartion covered some of the history behind the Klee including Scott's first attempts using 4006 shift register based circuits on his solderless breadboards and used a gated comparator affair on the input to shift in patterns. The conversation then moved to the latest incarnation of the Klee and it's operation.

I played my own original Klee music alomg with a fixed audio selection from the Klee MUSIC thread that Scott did, giving him full credit.

The demo also included the showing of multiple photos of many of the guys panels on the forum. This really showed off all the variations that can be realized when you leave the panel portion of a project open ended.

Many at the AHNE event took many pictures of the Klee outside and inside. Many took the "Knowing your Klee" handouts.

I would say it was a success and I had great fun doing it !!!

Bill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stretta/sets/72157604745340046/

"Thanks Scott for a fun project !!!!" Very Happy

Klee_demo_AHNE_2008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  409.26 KB
 Viewed:  595 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Klee_demo_AHNE_2008.jpg

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, Bill!! Man, I'd love to have seen that demo.

Judging by the Flicker set, it looks like AHNE was a real kick all-around. When, oh when will there ever be an AHKS? Very Happy

Take care,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More views of Bill's demo here:

http://www.alt-mode.com/AHNE2008/Site/AHNE_2008.html

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's nice to see a pic of you Bill!

Did you record the performance at all?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was lucky enough to be there and it was a really great introduction to the Klee. I think there was a lot of interest generated. Of course, it was very nice to meet Bill (super nice guy!) and hang out with some like minded people. This can be a lonely hobby/obsession.
Also being able to play a Buchla Music Easel was not too shabby, either! Shocked Cool Shocked

Pete

flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also being able to play a Buchla Music Easel was not too shabby, either!

Please ignore the mega-jealousy waves emanating from Kansas.....

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Photon wrote:
I was lucky enough to be there and it was a really great introduction to the Klee. I think there was a lot of interest generated. Of course, it was very nice to meet Bill (super nice guy!) and hang out with some like minded people. This can be a lonely hobby/obsession.
Also being able to play a Buchla Music Easel was not too shabby, either! Shocked Cool Shocked

Pete

Was that a picture of your brass-fronted modular in there too?

Home,My Studio,and another view
Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Was that a picture of your brass-fronted modular in there too?

yes. thar she blows! Very Happy

flickr
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
was lucky enough to be there and it was a really great introduction to the Klee. I think there was a lot of interest generated. Of course, it was very nice to meet Bill (super nice guy!) and hang out with some like minded people. This can be a lonely hobby/obsession.
Also being able to play a Buchla Music Easel was not too shabby, either!

Well thanks Photon. We had some very nice conversation indeed !! I was very impressed by Photon's custom "etching" work on his DIY front panels in his large rack he brought out to AH. The SN Voice came out real sweet ! Very nice work Wink

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Please ignore the mega-jealousy waves emanating from Kansas.....

Well then, we have to get you over this feeling and get you out to Electro Music 2008 in Kingsport TN.... Wink

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It's nice to see a pic of you Bill!

Thanks Tom .... Just a silver haired dude playing with synthesizers .....

Quote:
Did you record the performance at all?

Actually not. Maybe I was better off. The funny thing about this is that I had this totally cool sequence set up with a really great filter sweep all ready to go ...... AND ... nothing ......... my controls must have gotten dicked up ...... Well, thats LIVE work for you.

You see, at these sorts of gatherings, folks are free to browse the gear and play. Thats the appeal. The problem is don't ever set up a demo and think everything will go OK because someone, including me Embarassed , may come along and tweak this and that or engage a different routing in the mixer and bam .... your screwed ... it's still fun .... It does not bother me ... I had a great time and enjoyed the company of all these talented men Very Happy Very Happy

Bill Very Happy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I had a great time and enjoyed the company of all these talented men Very Happy Very Happy

no women, right Question Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
no women, right

Unfortunately not ...... no sexy female synthesists were present this time. Sad

Laughing

Bill
Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I was very impressed by Photon's custom "etching" work on his DIY front panels in his large rack he brought out to AH. The SN Voice came out real sweet ! Very nice work Wink
Bill

Very Happy thanks Bill! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

SNVoice
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
thanks Bill! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

NICE, I love it ....... I am not sure if I had seen one but you may want to start a thread about your front panel etching technique ... I would be interested to hear more about the materials, chemicals, lettering process, etc ......... I know the subject of front panel design and construction is of great interest to many here on the forum ....

Thanks,
Bill
loopcycle

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good to put a face to the machine! and i like your panel, bill!
i also have new respect for your cable organization skills behind the panel Laughing
Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I am not sure if I had seen one but you may want to start a thread about your front panel etching technique ... I would be interested to hear more about the materials, chemicals, lettering process, etc

yes-there are some posts from a year or so ago when I was first trying out the process. I've done it enough now that its fairly routine. I'd be happy to write up a (more or less) complete procedure and post it. stay tuned...

Peter
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
yes-there are some posts from a year or so ago when I was first trying out the process. I've done it enough now that its fairly routine. I'd be happy to write up a (more or less) complete procedure and post it. stay tuned...

OK, sounds like something that many would like to read about. Including myself Very Happy If it's not too much trouble .... when you get some time Very Happy

Thanks Cool

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
good to put a face to the machine! and i like your panel, bill!
i also have new respect for your cable organization skills behind the pane

Thanks Loopcycle !!! The neat cabling just makes it much easier to work on without having a big birds nest in the way Wink

Thanks again .....
Bill
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: