electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
mini banana's?
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
That's a really interesting idea!
You could put a mini-magnet inside something like a grommet (y'know - those little rubber rings you pass cables through panels with)
I could imagine, perhaps though, that it may be hard to solder onto the rear-side of the magnet (and I think you'd want to do that, no?)

Fun idea.

If you could find something like this - drill a hole in the center of the magnet, friction fit or glue it, and then solder to the other side...
These are Zinc - but maybe you could find copper ones.

Or else a small nail with a flat head pushed through the center and solder and heatshrink that?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a gut feeling that you'll have problems trying to drill a hole in the magnet.
Still, it depends on if it's an anamorphous magnet, or rare earth. The tiny button ones in the ends of "magnetix" construction bars would be really good for this. They are quite small, yet very strong, (rare earth I think?) I wouldn't try soldering to them though. I'd go with Jan's idea and chop the heads off some flat-head nails, solder to those and stick them on the back.
I'm just a little warey of whether the novelty outweighs the possible reliability issues. Still, give it a go, could be fun.

para

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/07/05/reed-ghazalas-bent-magnetic-patching-yamaha-keyboard-more-bad-news-for-diy/
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found another supplier. Look for the DELTRON EMCON brand. They seem to be the least expensive parts, but still kind of expensive. I figure for a 100 jacks and plugs it will be around $150.00!

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=0&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=Banana&Ntx=&isGoback=false

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re. magnets .. today I saw magnets with a threaded bit on it, the diameter of the magnet itself is about 9 mm (about 1/3 of an inch) - no idea where they came from though & the person who ordered then is at home with flu.

magnet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.2 KB
 Viewed:  376 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

magnet.jpg

Usine Karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These look ideal, being designed for patching, with solder points on, quite pricey though!

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/PCB-Equipment/Prototyping-Boards/Mag-Tags/74031
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I should have realised, they have these at Jaycar as well.
MyPasswordIs123456

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am about to place an order for Pomona B Stacking banana plug patch cord. If you have trouble finding a dealer, check out:
http://www.tequipment.net/PomonaB.asp

Prices are so low (<5$), it would be silly to solder them myself.
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting. The prices and product list are nearly identical to this place in Massachusetts that I've ordered from:
http://www.testpath.com/Categories/Banana-Plug-Patch-Cords-PVC-Stacking-c1=ppc-source=ggl-ad=BPC-1835.htm
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mini bananas seem cool to me, but I have never seen them in real life, nor in catalogs. Almost everybody I know of using them has been in Europe, so they might perhaps be easier to find there. Pin jacks can be much smaller, but so far as I know the tip plugs aren't stackable.

I finally bought some regular bananas off of ebay, but I had to patiently wait a couple of months to find some deals. About $80 for a box of a few hundred jacks in various colors (passable quality), and $50 for a box of various lengths and colors of cables, a few dozen (high quality). I am making a modular setup with 1/4" jacks but am making some portables with bananas.
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: