electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
KLEE came to live...
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Kartoshka

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed Glad we sorted this out. Very Happy

well REALLY no sarcasm being involved, but the opposite is true.
Meaning of Rolling Eyes emoticon for me is (was, read further) a moment of thought, that's the way i meant it. And after pointing and recommending some solid PSU, i felt i should thank fonik for that. Also, for what damn reason should i sarcastically reply to anyone here? Forums is a place to meet same-mind people, and a way to escape the everyday's ongoing processes, let alone looking for better world (can i put here the rolleyes? Embarassed ).

edit:
from wikipedia
Quote:
Eye-rolling

Rotating the eyes upward may have the following meanings.

It may indicate condescension, contempt, boredom, or exasperation. The gesture is often for a rescue from boredom or frustration. It can be interpreted as the equivalent of saying, "I don't like this" or "I think this is really stupid" or "I simply can't believe this."

ahh now i got the real meaning - not visual meaning i used to capture from this icon... Embarassed oops.. Then there should be better icon for "moment of thought/enlightenment , but not as silly as this Shocked
Laughing

Anyways... as i'm really low on electronics (and electricity) knowledge, can somebody explain the difference between the two Ken Stone's psu offered? Does it matter for Klee Sequencer to use the CGS14 (and for what reason Elba Designs offer compete psu kits for such insane prices like 150usd)....

Kart
sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool! that makes much more sense. all is well Smile

no, you're absolutely right - this is a fantastic forum and i was confused by my interpretation of your post.

re. cgs14 - it uses simple 7815 & 7819 voltage regulators which are a little noisier and not as precise as compared to the LM317/LM337 regulators used by the CGS66.

i would recommend the CGS66 with the klee since you'll be driving vco's with it.

elby's is a more expensive because he includes wall-warts (ac adapter) in his kit.

a better alternative would be a Power-One psu combined with a regulator circuit, ie. HBB-15-1.5-A Power-One - http://www.power-one.com/resources/products/datasheet/lin.pdf

cheers,
michel

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW I only speak english, and I sometimes use the "rolling eyes" to denote "Gees, I'm stupid" or some similar exasperation directed towards myself. I'm not trying to "open up an old wound", simply agreeing with Jan that it can be misleading to assume you know the only way something could be intended.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ontopic: one more question for fonik - where did you get the slider knobs?

offtopic:

speaking as someone who studied a MA in philosophy of language, i believe that language generally works on a consensus model, which is why i wrote: "so i wouldn't attribute this to a language mistranslation on my part"

as such, my personal interpretation of the comments was based on the general consensus/usage of a particular wording & gesture, in this case, an icon of a person rolling their eyes in combination with a smirk (aka half-smile) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/smirk

despite the fuzzy nature of meanings attributed to words, people generally manage to communicate daily with a relative level of success due to basic agreements about the definitions of words and gestures.

i decided to post my interpretation of the comment after it was deleted. most forums don't allow people to delete their posts... so it really stands out when it happens. people usually delete their posts when they want to retract a statement that they have doubts about and/or regret afterward.

nevertheless, everything has been cleared up and i've had fun picking things apart and analyzing them Smile for better or for worse, i guess it's part of my diy-nature hehehe.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
ontopic: one more question for fonik - where did you get the slider knobs?

these are alpha sliders, 30mm, linear. i purchased them from futurlec.com,
the knobs are from rs-components, 467-6083

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry dude,
I didn't realise I was trying to communicate with someone who has an MA in the philosophy of language.

Rolling Eyes

Laughing

sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks fonik! i ordered the same sliders last week.

at 2,15euro each, those slider caps are too expensive for me. i'll keep looking elsewhere.

uncle krunkus - you didn't realize you were being thrown to the lions LOL. i probably look like a pedantic jerk here - maybe i should delete all my posts in this thread Razz

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, please don't.
I know I'm very sarcastic and anti-authoritarian, but I was joking.
Very Happy

sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik - do you find those slider caps ergonomic to use with the klee interface?

i'm not sure i want to use console-style caps that you find on channel-faders. anybody know where to get cheap slider caps like fonik used?

(and i promise i won't be an argumentative son-of-a-bitch for the next month Very Happy )

fonik

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
at 2,15euro each, those slider caps are too expensive for me. i'll keep looking elsewhere.

michel, the price is per VE (Verpackungseinheit), so you pay 2.15EUR for 5 caps.
they are great. easy to use. they are not knurled or concave like those mixingdesk slider caps, but that's fine just like you said, because the sliders in the klee are mounted vertically.

sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh, verstehe! Ich hatte "Preis/VPE: 5" nicht gemerkt. Vielen Dank!

Your panel seemed very intuitive to me - it convinced me to use sliders instead of pots!

Kartoshka

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my question is about ergonomics, are 30mm better (by means of controlling the sound) than 45mm travel sliders?

besides, futurlec is way cheaper than mouser.

POT50KBMONO
with futurlec 30mm = $0.40

312-9201F-50K
with mouser 45mm = $1.08

POT50KBSLIDE
with futurlec 75mm = 0.95
fonik

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i went with 30mm since i wanted to put it in a 3U case. I would do it again. Maybe it depends on the way you use your klee?
because of the scaler i'd say the faders of my klee will be in ON or OFF position most of the time. actually in the original klee2 thread it once was considered to replace the potentiometers by switches...
however i feel comfortable with them.

Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: