electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Pssst! Wanna go into orbit??
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Pssst! Wanna go into orbit??
Subject description: Possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of music EVER!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is BEAUTIFUL! (Not exactly electronic (!!!) but it's something everyone should hear once in their lives- especially if, like me, you are into drones!);

Josquin Desprez : Qui habitat

24 voice pure polyphony I'll have you know! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it, a lot, but I'm not sure about going into orbit.
Maybe I need to get some of what you're on Tom?
God knows the happy pills didn't do it for me! Laughing

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm actually quite clean at the moment. Went to see 'Stars of the Lid' play live, last night, and drank a lot of Fruli strawberry beer- so I'm a bit hungover Cool

My motto is that if the music is good enough, then you don't need drugs. The music is the drug, and anything else on top just becomes an enhancement and nothing more. One thing I can't stand though is music made to take drugs to, because generally it tends to be pretty boring, dull or obvious. (or all three!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well in that case I s'pose you're just high on life.
I better get me some of that! Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm clean as a whistle now and really do feel "high on life" at the moment. The music was beautiful, I especially enjoyed how I couldn't understand any words due to the number of voices and the language difference, so that the music showed the beauty of the human voice and thus the beauty of creation.

As part of my experimental motion-controlled guitar setup, I'd like to rig it so the guitar played "clean" in the normal horizontal position, "heavenly" like that piece in a more vertical position pointing up, and "hellish" in some way when pointed down to the ground. I will have a note detector as part of it, so perhaps I can play samples of choir singing in response to the notes for the heavenly part. I'm not sure what to do, but that was a good example for imagination purposes.

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This put me in mind of a favorite recording of a lesser known, but just as good composer from the same period - Antoine Brumel. In the third Agnus Dei, he lands on what would later come to be known as a subdominant (IV) and stays there... and stays there... on a simple ostinato in the inner voices. Then he descends to iii and holds it with the same ostinato... then down to ii... and finally to the tonic. It's fantastic.

The main tune for the mass (actually a song by Josquin!) has a stepwise descent through a fifth toward the end, which of course Brumel plays out into cascading, overlapping descending scales in the final phrase... makes four voices sound like about 12. The conclusion of that mass is as fine music as I've heard anywhere.

James

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I know the work of Brumel also- in particular, "The earthquake Mass".

Actually this YouTube recording isn't very good- I got a copy of Qui Habitat 24 off iTunes. But it's got DRM on it so I presume the record producers want us to buy the original CD- which is a tad frustrating, but at laest I could download it.

Josquin did another corking beauty of a track- also a canon, but I can't for the likes of me remember what it was called.

Thomas Tallis' 40 part motet, "Spem in Alium" is also extremely beautiful and incredible piece of work;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn7ZW8ts3Y

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In response to Tallis' Spem in Alium wrote:
Even though I'm an ardent atheist - in the sense that I view all religious doctrine as arising from a fearfully reactive and parochially human-all-too-human need to codify and constrain this ultimately unfathomable cosmos into which we find ourselves thrown - this amazing sonic assemblage still speaks to me and moves me more profoundly than just about any other piece of music I've ever heard.

Especially when I listen to it on psilocybin.

Shocked

Very Happy

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
One thing I can't stand though is music made to take drugs to, because generally it tends to be pretty boring, dull or obvious. (or all three!)

Bloody Pink Floyd for one.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Actually I downloaded "One of these days" the other day (probably because it featured on The Sopranos!!). It was one of those "oh fuck-it, lets have that track for 79p" moments!

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

24 voice polyphony?
reminds me of the moment in peepshow when Jeremy orders 3 naan bread... mark responds, "that's insane jeremy, you couldn't possibly eat THREE naan bread..."

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: