electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
ChucK Internet Radio Broadcast
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: ChucK Internet Radio Broadcast
Subject description: Submit your songs so we can all jam to them!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just read a thread and decided to do a radio show on the electro-music.com streaming server. It will cost me forty bucks in software, so I can't do it for a month or two since I just had my car repaired and bought a guitar - so I'm broke again for now, haha what a big surprise for me to be economically challenged yet again!

I'm posting because I want to do a "Best of ChucK" show. This would be similar to the Math-in-Music song that we compiled recently, however in this case I will choose only the best of the contributions instead of trying to include all of the work. Note that all three of the contributors, Frostburn, kijjaz, and Inventor (myself) contributed rockin' songs that were good enough to include in a broadcast, however IMHO half of it was junk, myself included.

So let's weed thru the chaff and produce our best-of songs, each of us, and I will "play DJ" and introduce the work. Just post any chuck or mp3/wav files that you have and I'll work them into the program, assuming I think they are cool. Others besides the three amigos that I mentioned above, please show your stripes and post a song or two, especially you Kassen!

To start things off I am posting two songs that are my best two songs, created in Guitar Lab (which is now part of ChucK Lab). Plus we simply must broadcast "Hack ChucK" by Perry, what a masterpiece! So post your work, and remember: "Keep on ChucKing"!

Guitar_Lab_Rock1.mp3
 Description:
Guitar Lab Rock 1, written for my friend Shell's birthday.

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Lab_Rock1.mp3
 Filesize:  5.26 MB
 Downloaded:  1335 Time(s)

60x60_Rock.mp3
 Description:
Shorter song that's very similar to Guitar Lab Rock 1.

Download
 Filename:  60x60_Rock.mp3
 Filesize:  696.33 KB
 Downloaded:  1259 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: ChucK Internet Radio Broadcast
Subject description: Submit your songs so we can all jam to them!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
especially you Kassen!

Sure. I'm a bit torn about what to do though. I could do something entirely in ChucK, maybe livecode it up, but of course I also have my sequencer... The "problem" with the sequencer though is that the melodic sounds get made (through MIDI) by a hardware synth so that's not 100% ChucK. I'd like something for this to be 100% ChucK.

If that'd do you could also grab the song posted here;
http://bottomfeeder.ca/top/

That was my first test on using my live sequencer as a studio tool. Sound quality isn't the best; it was rather impulsively recorded and the tape recorder had some issues.

Oh, and once Perry releases the source-code of his song I'd like too re-record/remix that, I'd like to have a version with more upfront drums&bass.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: money.

Wouldn't VLS do?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

It's a free/open streamer. What you could also do is compile the whole thing as a single file and ask Stein (Elektr80) to broadcast it on EM, he has a working streaming server in Norway.

I think it's a bit much to spend 40 bucks on a radio program if you're broke, especially as we have other ways and resources.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't know about that program. I'll give it a try. Oddcast V3 works very well on Windows, but so far the only OSX solution is NiceCast.

I think a ChucK program is a great idea. There are two ways we could work it. If you put the show together in a prerecorded mp3, we can make it a podcast. Otherwise you could upstream it live.

We need to do more of this stuff. With the price of gas and travel going through the roof, going to electro-music meetings and festivals is going to become more and more difficult. Our music is naturally suited for the internet.

Even at electro-music 2007, there were some performances that had more listeners on the stream than in the room where the music was played. Not many, but some.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the idea of pre-recording the whole show, as I'm feeling just a wee bit nervous about a live streaming broadcast this morning. "Playing DJ" for five or six people in an audio/visual chat room was one thing, but I'd feel uncomfortable in front of an audience of unknown size. Besides, I often record voice mails for friends and family on Audacity. I'll just have to learn how to import songs into audacity from wav or mp3 files.

Oh, and Kassen, sorry to put you on the spot with that "especially you, Kassen" comment! It's just that I'd feel like the show would be more representative of our electro-music.com ChucK community if it included our moderator!

Howard, a podcast sounds great, it would be my first. You know, I've never told you guys but I'm actually very shy socially and though I've done teaching and such in the past, my state of being currently is one of strong paranoia and nervousness for which I take medicine and see a psychiatrist. Doing these little shows is kind of like my therapy for dealing with these issues, so I appreciate the opportunity. And if it helps out in some way, all the better!

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I like the idea of pre-recording the whole show

The whole show doesn't have to broadcasted from one location, Kassen could do his own thing from his home & so could others. It's just a matter of switching ports on the server - it has been done before for the NYE broadcasts.

And don't worry about the public, there won't be hundreds of listeners and they will play nice ... well usually they do Laughing

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

Oh, and Kassen, sorry to put you on the spot with that "especially you, Kassen" comment! It's just that I'd feel like the show would be more representative of our electro-music.com ChucK community if it included our moderator!

No problem at all, it's just that if it's a themed program I'd like to fit into the theme. I wouldn't want to send in something using a external synth controlled from ChucK if something using only ChucK is required.

Quote:

Howard, a podcast sounds great, it would be my first. You know, I've never told you guys but I'm actually very shy socially and though I've done teaching and such in the past, my state of being currently is one of strong paranoia and nervousness for which I take medicine and see a psychiatrist. Doing these little shows is kind of like my therapy for dealing with these issues, so I appreciate the opportunity. And if it helps out in some way, all the better!

Yay! Go!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

Wouldn't VLS do?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

This seems targeted mainly for video, although audio is in some ways a subset of video. I downloaded it and kicked the tires.

IMHO, for a Mac user that wants to stream audio up to a shoutcast server, I think this isn't the best solution. Nicecast is much, well, nicer. It's worth the $40. If money is tight, you can use it for free for 30 days.

Mike Metlay used Nicecast for the City Skies festival and it apparently worked flawlessly.

Still, if someone wants to try out VLS on our server, let me know and I'll set up a test server just for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops, I forgot to mention another wrench in the works: If I recall correctly, last night I checked and found out that NiceCast requires OSX 10.4 or better, so it won't run on my system without a $130 upgrade. I'll have to pre-record it and ask Stein to broadcast it, or try VLS. There is plenty of time to think about it though.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pre-recorded files are by far the safest choice as well, regarding dropouts and the like.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I'll have to pre-record it and ask Stein to broadcast it, or try VLS.

OK, whatever method you choose. I administer the shoutcast stuff, BTW.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, OK, so I will ask you when the time arrives, Howard.

Here is the beginning of a show outline, corrections and additions are welcome:

Code:
intro:  play 60x60_Rock.mp3
song composed and generated in ChucK Lab

describe Chuck:
   Freeware
   Princeton University
   Ge Wang & Perry Cook
   live coding or pre-programmed music

introduce Hack ChucK song
play HackChuck08.mp3

introduce Kassen & time-loop1.mp3
   moderator of the ChucK forum
   partly done with sequencer, partly with ChucK
play time-loop1.mp3

introduce Guitar Lab / Chuck Lab and song
play Guitar_Lab_Rock1.mp3

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

partly done with sequencer, partly with ChucK

Erm, the sequencer is in ChucK, it's just controlling a external synth over MIDI for melodies, the beats and samples are all in ChucK as well, mixing is done on a analogue desk. I'll send you a article off list (as the article hasn't been printed yet)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just thought I'd refresh this thread in case you have not seen it. Looking for contricutions from Frostburn, kijjaz, and others... Post them here to get on the show!
Frostburn

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Looking for contricutions from Frostburn...

Well I haven't got anything to show. I've been busy trying to come up with different ways to compose and sequence but I lack a good GUI and I'm still learning other programming languages to make that GUI or convert midi files to chuck arrays.
Also my laptop keeps overheating whenever I try to do anything. It's actually overheating right now. What fun!
I'm also lazy. Razz

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frostburn wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Looking for contricutions from Frostburn...

Well I haven't got anything to show. I've been busy trying to come up with different ways to compose and sequence but I lack a good GUI and I'm still learning other programming languages to make that GUI or convert midi files to chuck arrays.
Also my laptop keeps overheating whenever I try to do anything. It's actually overheating right now. What fun!
I'm also lazy. Razz

Oh well, such is life. I'm just glad to see you back and posting again, i presume school went well. Welcome back Frostburn!

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: