electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
forward references
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
larryreed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: forward references
Subject description: Need a way to reference something I haven't loaded yet.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been building a patch management system for my synth setup. It mostly works right now, which is great!

However, I've run into an issue where I need two classes to be able to reference each other. Since the programs have to be loaded in a specific order, I need to be able to create a reference in the class loaded earlier to a class that is not loaded until later.

In C++, this is easy because classes are linked after all the references are known. But I don't know how to do this in ChucK, or if it is possible.

Here's a (greatly simplified) example:

public class A {
int aa;
fun void SetMeUp(int x) {
x => aa;
}
while( true ) {
GetMidiInput();
if( midiInput == DoB )
B.SetHimUp(100);
}
}

public class B {
int bb;
fun void SetHimUp(int z) {
z => bb;
A.SetMeUp(z-2);
}
}

public class C {
fun void GetKeyboardCmd() {
if( cmd == S )
B.SetHimUp(50)
}
while( true ) {
GetKeyboardCmd();
}
}

chuck + A.ck B.ck C.ck

-->generates error B.DoSomething not defined in A.ck

As I said, in C++, I can do this because B.SetHimUp is defined as an interface, and linked later. Is there any analogous thing in Chuck?

In my system, essentially A is the basic operational loop, and B is a passive class that controls the operation of A in response to an outer level command loop, C. The problem is that A can receive a command externally (from a MIDI device) that I want to respond to as if it had been typed by the user in the command loop C.

The only other way I can think of for this to work is for A to define an event that C can respond to, and then A signals C, which calls B. Of course C has to then wait on either of two events. I'm not quite sure how to do that either.

But it'd be a lot simpler if I could just define a forward reference that is resolved when B is loaded.

-- Larry
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: forward references

larryreed wrote:

However, I've run into an issue where I need two classes to be able to reference each other. Since the programs have to be loaded in a specific order, I need to be able to create a reference in the class loaded earlier to a class that is not loaded until later.

You found another issue.

Yes; you can do this... as long as both classes are in a single file. So; it won't fly for public classes as there can only be one public class in a single file, currently.

We need proper include/import statements, I agree.

I think that this summer Ge is planning another wave of major features and this might be in there (we can hope....). Others have run into the same thing and it's one of the larger issues in using ChucK for larger projects.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: forward references

larryreed wrote:
It mostly works right now, which is great!

Yay! That's cool. I think your project is a entirely new field to ChucK in so that's nice and exciting. I would be interested, if you could spare the time, in hearing what you do like about ChucK.

It stands to reason that somebody with a C/C++ background would first like (most of) the syntax, then immediately miss a lot he's grown to come to expect.

larryreed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: What I like about chuck... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, as C++ programmer, I do seem to want it to be like what I know.

The hardest thing for me to adapt to is the chuck operator. All my life, assignments have been of the form 'x gets y' ( x = y, x := y, x <y> variable'.

As to what I like about ChucK, I really like the ability to create a patch programmatically. One of my earliest programming projects when I was at CCRMA in the 70's (oops, showing my age...) was a visual editor for Music V. The idea was that you would patch unit generators together graphically by constructing a flowchart which would be compiled into a music program. I was not a CS student (you couldn't be as an undergrad in those days at Stanford), and I had only a couple of programming classes under my belt, so the project didn't really get very far. (Besides I was using SAIL, an ALGOL-W derived concoction never used anywhere but at the SU AI lab, but that's another story)

ChucK allows you do do much the same thing, albeit with programs instead of pictures. On the other hand, the visual approach limits the kinds of things you can do, and there was no concept of concrete timing. ChucK provides that in a real nice way.

I'm not familiar with other stuff, like SC, etc. So I don't know how comparable they are, or whether one of these others would be better for my purposes.

But ChucK provides a way to flexibly control my performance setup in a way I have never been able to do just with MIDI controllers. Moreover, once I have the hardware configuration stuff working, I can easily integrate the ChucK soft synth stuff to expand greatly my performance capabilities. The possibilities currently seem endless.

So at the moment, I'm really happy to play with it, and so far the results are very promising. Of course, reality has not really bitten yet...

-- Larry
larryreed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: handling 2 events simultaneously Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I want to try the event model, it would be necessary for me to construct a loop that waits on either of two events - a keyboard hit or a signal from the operational loop.

I'm not quite sure how this is accomplished. The standard way of doing an event loop is to chuck the event to now:

while( true ) {
e => now;
// do e-related stuff
}

But how do you chuck two events to now? For example, can I do this:

while( true ) {
e1 || e2 => now;
if( e1 )
// do e1 related stuff
if( e2 )
// do e2 related stuff
}

-- Larry
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's been quite a bit of talk on the list about about waiting for multiple events.

Fortunately here it's fairly easy. I'm assuming you are sporking a shred that listens for the keyboard anyway, sorts keys and bases actions on them. So; we'd have two loops already being the keyboard shred and your main loop, right? And you want a third loop to wait for either a specific moment in the main loop or a key-press, say a space?

In that case it's really quite easy; you can have the main loop broadcast the a new event "foo" (say at the start of a musical section) and also have the keyboard-reading shred broadcast foo as soon as space is pressed. The third loop/shred would then be waiting for foo.

If you didn't already have a keyboard-reading shred you'll have to add it as you can't make the main loop broadcast a hid event.

It gets slightly trickier if the main loop should only broadcast in the case the keyboard reader hasn't done so already but you could do something like this;

Code:

public class OneTimeEvent extends Event
    {
    int used;
    fun void send()
        {
        if (!used)
            {
            true => used;
            this.broadcast();
            }
        else
            {
            <<<"I've already done something and now I'm tired :¬)">>>;
            }
        }
    }

OneTimeEvent foo;

fun void bar()
   {
   foo => now;
   <<<"ping">>>;
   }
spork ~bar();
me.yield();

repeat(3)
   {
   foo.send();
   second => now;
   }

Note that when extending Event there is a bug and ChucK wants it to be defined before it's called (it needs to be higher up in the file if it's in the same file) or it won't properly inherit signal() and broadcast(). this is annoying but at least it's known and either fixed already or it should be soon-ish.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What I like about chuck... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

larryreed wrote:
Yes, as C++ programmer, I do seem to want it to be like what I know.

Yeah, makes sense.

Quote:
The hardest thing for me to adapt to is the chuck operator. All my life, assignments have been of the form 'x gets y' ( x = y, x := y, x <y> variable'.

I know... But you have to admit it's nicely non-ambiguous. If you see some unknown language and read "x = y" it might mean x takes on y's value or y takes on x's value or we may need to test whether x already equals y or perhaps we expect a list of all scenarios in which X could equal y.....

Quote:
As to what I like about ChucK, I really like the ability to create a patch programmatically. One of my earliest programming projects when I was at CCRMA in the 70's (oops, showing my age...)

I'd change avatars if my age were a secret ;¬)

Quote:
was a visual editor for Music V. The idea was that you would patch unit generators together graphically by constructing a flowchart which would be compiled into a music program. I was not a CS student (you couldn't be as an undergrad in those days at Stanford), and I had only a couple of programming classes under my belt, so the project didn't really get very far. (Besides I was using SAIL, an ALGOL-W derived concoction never used anywhere but at the SU AI lab, but that's another story)

Still, that was the dawn of computer music and you got to see it, that's worth something as well. I think ChucK still has a lot of that "modular synthesis" architecture in it. Nice notes!

larryreed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Waiting on multiple events Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like you and I are thinking along the same lines. I just wanted to find out if there was a syntactical way of watching for several events at once.

Thanks, I think your solution will work for my needs.

-- Larry

BTW, my hair is blonde, not white... Very Happy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, that's a shame. I'm 30 and slowly starting to see grey hairs here&there and I quite like it. I'm sure you'll get them as well, just hang in there!

:¬p

Sorry about that. If there ever were any "serious" ChucKists we probably scared them away by now.

I'm still not sure if there ever *is* a real need, sugar aside, to watch for two events or a event and a time. Still, I think it might be fairly easy; waiting for a event places that shred on the event's cue so waiting for multiple events would simply mean placing it on two cues and removing it from cue B once cue A fires. I'm not sure how that would have to interact with signal and broadcast though, The obvious way of doing it might lead to unexpected results because that would move everything below it in the "signal" cue one place up. The obvious solution would be recommending people don't combine "signal" with waiting for multiple events but I'm still not sure.

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: