electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS Gated Comparator/ Infinite Melody
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: CGS Gated Comparator/ Infinite Melody
Subject description: Possible to adapt into Buchla-like Uncertainty?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking over the schematics for the Buchla Source of Uncertainty, mostly after building a Wogglebug and wanting to know how similar it actually was to the SOU.

I was noting how the Wogglebug is indeed very close to the Buchla, but only a part of the Buchla, the "Fluctuating Random Voltages" section. There are two(!) of these "woggle" circuits on the Buchla module (without all of the in/outs of the Wogglebug).

The other 5(!) sections of the SOU, are the Noise Gen, Quantized Random Voltage, Stored Random Voltage, S+H, and Integrator.

The CGS Gated Comarator, I think, could be used to get something close to the Quantized Random Voltage section. On the Buchla, instead of taking the individual shift register positions out to jacks, it sums them together in two ways. I don't quite understand how, but using resistors to limit the individual register output voltages to 64 possible levels (see schematic), then summing them, it offers two random, but quantized, output voltages: N plus 1, and 2 to the Nth power. I think the CGS GC could be adapted, by changing the resistor values in each register output stage and summing them as in the Buchla schematic.

The CGS Infinite Melody module, I believe, could also be adapted to something similar to the "Stored Random Voltage" section of the Buchla. Again, this is a shift register circuit where the outputs of each register are summed, and again there are two outputs: one offers an even distribution(random) of voltage values, the other allows you to limit the distribution probablitity. I'd like to experiment with the CGS module to see whats possible.

And was wondering if anyone has used these CGS boards in a similar application?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: