electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Electronic Drum Sets
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Electronic Drum Sets
Subject description: Wanting to buy my first set
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am wanting to buy my first Electronic Drum set and I really don't know anything about them. I was hoping that I could learn some stuff by talking to some people here.

I would like to spend under $2000... the closer to $1000 the better. Are there sets that you can hook up to a laptop and use the pads as MIDI triggers? I would like to be able to create my own sounds on a computer and then play them with the set. I looked up some sets on musiciansfriend.com and I didn't see any mention of MIDI on any of them. Is it even possible to buy a set that has this feature?

I am not a profesional drummer. I was in a band, but I decided that I wanted to go the Reznor route and do all the music myself for the most part. I have taken Piano and Guitar classes and I have been programming beats for a long time now. I want an electronic set so that I have a different way of creating beats, and so that I can have a drummer perform the beats live on stage with me.
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... well if no one can answer me here, can someone suggest a forum that I can ask about this in?

Also, something I want to add. I would like to be able to add, remove, and possibly modify the placement of the drum pads. I would like a set that will allow me to add different pads or switch current ones out with ones I like better.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drum pads are like keyboards. Some you hate and some you like.

Most of the electronic drumkit products can send midi out from the sound module thingie. This will be explained in the product manuals? Always read the manual before you buy.

A carton of Clavia ddrum parts?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
What about a carton of Clavia ddrum parts?

Six pack Laughing

How about that new 2box thingie? Sort of a Clavia spin off with Bengt and Rick behind the wheel. Not red though ...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.2box.se

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m sure we´ll see Austin Powers sporting one of those swedish made power tools in his next movie.. eh?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
spinach_pizza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Derekmecca,

I play a set of Roland V-drums. Very nice, but pretty expensive. But the sounds, the feel of the heads, and all the triggering and editing options - wonderful. I use the midi out feature from time to time. I can record my performance both as audio and as midi, and then I can play the midi file back with different sounds, if I want.

I think midi in and out is universally found on these percussion sound modules. Same goes for adjustability, but practically all the kits offer moveable pads to one degree or another. But, as already noted above, review the manual beforehand if you can. Most of the time you can download the manual from the manufacturers website.

On my set, the midi connection is on the module, not on the individual pads, and I think, again, that that is the normal configuration. So you will probably have to buy a module to use as a midi interface, even if you want to make your own sounds using other equipment. If the onboard sounds aren't important to you, and the feel of the pads isn't important either, then there are kits available for under $1000 new. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice about these, because I don't have any hands on experience with anything other than v-drums (did I mention how much I like v-drums? : ))

Good luck!
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spinach_pizza wrote:
Hey Derekmecca,

I play a set of Roland V-drums. Very nice, but pretty expensive. But the sounds, the feel of the heads, and all the triggering and editing options - wonderful. I use the midi out feature from time to time. I can record my performance both as audio and as midi, and then I can play the midi file back with different sounds, if I want.

I think midi in and out is universally found on these percussion sound modules. Same goes for adjustability, but practically all the kits offer moveable pads to one degree or another. But, as already noted above, review the manual beforehand if you can. Most of the time you can download the manual from the manufacturers website.

On my set, the midi connection is on the module, not on the individual pads, and I think, again, that that is the normal configuration. So you will probably have to buy a module to use as a midi interface, even if you want to make your own sounds using other equipment. If the onboard sounds aren't important to you, and the feel of the pads isn't important either, then there are kits available for under $1000 new. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice about these, because I don't have any hands on experience with anything other than v-drums (did I mention how much I like v-drums? : ))

Good luck!

That's great. I was looking at a few differently priced sets of the V-Drums and they all looked really great. I am a big fan of Roland anyway.

The feel of the pads is definatly important. Although I mostly want to use my own sounds instead of on-board sounds, I would like on-board to mess with from time to time as well. I am sure there are some great sounds on these things. How tweakable are the drum sounds on the V-Drums?

Thanks alot for the repsonce.
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland TD-6SW V-Tour $1,500

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD6SW-VTour-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=447839

Roland TD-95 V-Tour $1,800

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD9S-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=491358
spinach_pizza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out the Roland US v-drum webpage:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=60

I have the TD-12 setup. You'll notice that the more you spend, the more features you get. Of the two sets you linked, the TD-9S has some drum editing capability, such as head muffling, cymbal size, etc (click on "Specs" to see all this info, plus info about what connectivity the module has - midi etc). Also, check out:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-9/specs.html

The TD-6SW page doesn't have that kind of detail, so I'm inclined to think that you can't edit the drums. But I would be REALLY surprised if it didn't have some kind of midi interface. I guess you have to decide which features are most important to you, and whether they're worth the dough you're about to shell out.

My advice is (in general, not just for electronic drums): don't get too carried away with cool features! Think seriously about your needs and the music you really want to make, and then try to find the equipment that will help you make that music a reality. One thing that really bothers me is when I buy stuff that ends up sitting unused on my desk, or elsewhere.

Again, good luck!
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool... I will check out the links soon. I was sure the more I paid, the more features I would get. I would really like to demo the set at a store somewhere before buying it.

Also, this is a different subject but I might as well not make a second thread....

I am getting this set when we move out of the appt and into a house which will happen in the next few months. I am going to start putting together a live band to perform my music and we will need a way to practice. I am going to use the basement of the house we are moving too. I need some kind of P.A. for the basement for practice purposes. The guitarist will use his own amp, so I need the P.A. for the electronic drums, keyboards, vocals, and MIDI stuff. I would like it to have good highs and lows and I want it to have lots of inputs. I do have a mixer setup to my computer, but I think I want something seperate for the P.A.

Any suggestions? I think I should have around $1500 for the P.A. around the same time I get the drum set, but I will have more if I wait a month or two. Untill then, I can use headphones for the set.
spinach_pizza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's just for practice, check out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Stagepas-500-Portable-PA-System?sku=480938

Otherwise, take a look at the user reviews at Harmony Central:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/PA+Speakers+and+Monitors

Otherwise, yes I agree, it's always a good idea to look at gear somewhere before you buy.
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That second link is nice to have, thanks.

The P.A. you linked isn't bad, but I think I need something with more inputs. Maybe I should just buy a little 12-14 track mixer and then buy the speakers seperately?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: