electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
SpacyShifters
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: SpacyShifters
Subject description: high quality quad DIY pitch shifter network, makes nice ambient drones out of single notes
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This patch processes incoming audio via four high quality DIY pitch shifters, each based on a 1 second delay line. This large amount of delay time means that transients are totally garbled, but there are none of the ugly "flangey" artefacts usually associated with this type of processing.

The outputs of these four pitch shifters are blended together by a twodimensional XY "joystick-type" crossfader (eg. like the joystick on the Prophet VS and others). This mix is then fed back into the shifters, resulting in a gradual buildup of increasingly complex intervallic structures and generating an organically evolving tonal (or not so tonal, depending on semitone settings) ambient drone around the input. Tweaking the XY crossfader creates caleidoscope-like changes in the spectrum, as different pitch shifters (with different shifting amounts) come more or less into prominence. Experiment with different shift amounts for different tonalities and quasi-chords. Smile

The feedback loop is pretty stable. However, I threw a limiter in there too, just to be safe.

The pitch shifters also feature subtle modulation for chorus-like thickening of the sound within the feedback loop. There's a chorus/delay at the end to add a stereo image to the sound.

Controls:
Page A1:
INPUT and OUTPUT section. Self-explanatory (I hope Wink).
Page A2:
SHIFT 1 - 4: Semitone shift amount of the four pitch shifters
VECTOR X,Y: position of the joystick-type quad-crossfader
FEEDBACK Level: Amount of feedback into the pitch shifter network
SHIFTERS Dry/Wet: balance between original and processed audio
Page A3:
MODULATION Speed, Depth: subtle pitch modulation of the shifters.
Page E1:
DELAY dry/wet, time, feedback, damping frequency, modulation depth and rate controls

Only one variation, with my personal favourite setting. Smile

Uses one DSP.

have fun.

SpacyShifters TK.pch2
 Description:
high quality quad DIY pitch shifter network, makes nice ambient drones out of single notes

Download
 Filename:  SpacyShifters TK.pch2
 Filesize:  5.32 KB
 Downloaded:  2158 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, again!!

Just added three sine wave oscs (tuend differently) to the poly area, routed through the bus and voila instant trippy pads. Smile

and finally a really good use for my x-y controller.

Fab work fella.

Thanks

R.

gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TK = pushing the limits... again!! Cool

Thanks
dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm speechless, who needs an eventide now? Razz
scottylad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject:  Wow! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is amazing, Tim. Ironically, you inspired me to actually BUY an Eventide, so you just cost me a chunk of change!

My Matrix 1000 sounds amazing through this thing!

A couple of questions, as there is one obstacle to using this in production: There's a bit of reverb "fizzle" during the decay after the note is released. I can certainly reduced the feedback to mitigate this, but that has other unwanted effects - less spacey shifting! I'd like the decay to slowly fade away cleanly.

Also, where can I adjust the 1 second delay time to begin more or less immediately? Can this be controlled for each shift unit? Forgive me, I'm a bit of a G2 neophyte.

And I'm curious, did you model this after a known Eventide algorithm? If so, which one? I'm curious if the same thing could be accomplished with an Eclipse or if they have that flexibility.

Thanks again for this piece of heaven!
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as ever: B E A U T I F U L L!!!
thanks tim. your a delay master:)
Tim Kleinert

G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scottylad wrote:
This is amazing, Tim. Ironically, you inspired me to actually BUY an Eventide, so you just cost me a chunk of change!

Hm, I don't know if I should be sorry to have caused you financial inconvenience, or happy to have inspired you to buy a great sounding FX unit. Laughing

Quote:
A couple of questions, as there is one obstacle to using this in production: There's a bit of reverb "fizzle" during the decay after the note is released. I can certainly reduced the feedback to mitigate this, but that has other unwanted effects - less spacey shifting! I'd like the decay to slowly fade away cleanly.

The "fizzle" is the high frequencies accumulating by the recursion of upwards pitch-shifting. Easily remedied by inserting a lowpass filter into the feedback loop, which can be adjusted to taste. I patched this in, see attachment below.
Quote:
Also, where can I adjust the 1 second delay time to begin more or less immediately? Can this be controlled for each shift unit? Forgive me, I'm a bit of a G2 neophyte.

There is no way to adjust the initial delay response of the pitch-shifters. Theoretically it would have been possible to build each shifter independent in terms of delay size, but that would have overstretched the processing power of one DSP. And I wanted to keep it within one DSP.
Quote:

And I'm curious, did you model this after a known Eventide algorithm?

No. Smile

Quote:

I'm curious if the same thing could be accomplished with an Eclipse or if they have that flexibility.

Don't know about the programmability of the Eclipse. On the Hx000 series this would be easy since they are fully modular.

Quote:
Thanks again for this piece of heaven!

Most welcome. Smile

BTW: I have a new version of this patch which doubles the delay times to 2 seconds by multiplexing the 4 outputs of one 4-tap delay into 8 outputs via downsampling to 48kHz. It already works, but I want to do things differently with the stereo spacing of the shifters this time. I'll post it when I have time to finish it.

cheers all around
tim

SpacyShifters2TK.pch2
 Description:
Update with lowpass filter in the feedback loop, to adjust the HF buildup to taste.

Download
 Filename:  SpacyShifters2TK.pch2
 Filesize:  5.38 KB
 Downloaded:  1672 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
Jump to: