electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Remix one of Rolling Stone's top 25 artists on MySpace
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
shannonsongs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Remix one of Rolling Stone's top 25 artists on MySpace
Subject description: ACIDplanet Remix contest (+ ccMixter too!!!)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I am holding a contest to remix songs from my new album, "Ready to Wake Up". If you can imagine a brand new version of any of these songs, now is the time to show off your creative style.
The winning remixes will appear on a full-length Remix Album.

This contest is open to everyone. Soon, the "stems", or songs components (bass, voice, piano, guitar, strings/FX and drums) will be available for download and you can remix your own version of the songs. You can do this by adding your own beats and instrumentation or just remixing the original parts.

The process is simple: create an account and download the music files I have posted at either
http://www.acidplanet.com/shannonhurley
or
http://ccmixter.org/shannon-hurley

Upload your finished tracks on your page and the top remixes will be chosen by the public. The winners of the ACIDplanet remix contest will receive some cool prizes from Sony.
You can post remixes on both sites if you like. Deadline for the contest is Aug. 20th.

Thanks, and have fun!

Regards,
Shannon Hurley
"One of Rolling Stone Magazine's 25 Best Bands on MySpace"

www.myspace.com/shannonhurley
TO HEAR ALL OF THE ORIGINAL TRACKS, go to https://amiestreet.com/shannonhurley
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OOOOOH! Sony marketing!

Are you from the same advertising agency that did that "all I want for X-mass is a PSP" viral campaign? That one was funny.

I also loved this one; http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/ps2_girlfriend_1

Keep up the good work! Your products may suck but the marketing is great and so funny!

P.S. please make a rootkit for Linux as well, we felt left out.

shannonsongs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not affiliated with any agency. I am a completely indie artist who just thought you'd like to collaborate. That's okay though, there's plenty of artists that are more open-minded.

Kassen wrote:
OOOOOH! Sony marketing!

Are you from the same advertising agency that did that "all I want for X-mass is a PSP" viral campaign? That one was funny.

I also loved this one; http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/ps2_girlfriend_1

Keep up the good work! Your products may suck but the marketing is great and so funny!

P.S. please make a rootkit for Linux as well, we felt left out.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Self promotion is quite OK, but it is a difficult job and one obvious problem is that the "modern internet promotion techniques", the very services you cannot afford to buy, will rarely really work for you. Professional promotion companies are also, apart from simply using methods and concepts that are patently dysfunctional, simply pissing everybody off. Copying what the professionals are seemingly doing will simply not work that well.

I wonder if the remix approach will work for you. Your music doesn´t quite suit the remix concept and if you really feel that you need something new.. a rad new sound, then a complete rewrite of the songs and arrangements would be called for and not this.. But yes, I do know that that the "remix competition thingie" is a promo tool. It hardly works though, unless you are already a "star" and even then it is highly questionable if the real marketing effect is good or bad or whatever. It can be used for getting press and for branding.. but still..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
shannonsongs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Point well taken. I agree; a "promo" concept like a remix contest hosted by a branded corporation will only get an artist so far...

Here is what I am finding, being a newbie in the remix community:

Collaboration between artists brings mutual appreciation for each other's work.
Remixing brings further opportunity for each other's work to be heard.

We are bridging the gaps between genres and allowing more creativity by not letting ourselves be defined by a certain "style".

I appreciate your comment, thanks for your views guys.

elektro80 wrote:
welcome

Self promotion is quite OK, but it is a difficult job and one obvious problem is that the "modern internet promotion techniques", the very services you cannot afford to buy, will rarely really work for you. Professional promotion companies are also, apart from simply using methods and concepts that are patently dysfunctional, simply pissing everybody off. Copying what the professionals are seemingly doing will simply not work that well.

I wonder if the remix approach will work for you. Your music doesn´t quite suit the remix concept and if you really feel that you need something new.. a rad new sound, then a complete rewrite of the songs and arrangements would be called for and not this.. But yes, I do know that that the "remix competition thingie" is a promo tool. It hardly works though, unless you are already a "star" and even then it is highly questionable if the real marketing effect is good or bad or whatever. It can be used for getting press and for branding.. but still..
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shannonsongs wrote:
I am not affiliated with any agency. I am a completely indie artist who just thought you'd like to collaborate. That's okay though, there's plenty of artists that are more open-minded.

I don't believe you. I don't believe Sony is setting up a contest like that for "a completely indie artist".

This has nothing to do with how "open minded" I may or may not be as a artist but everything with being a editor at this board and so co-responsible for deleting plain spam and warning people about viral advertising from companies like your client Sony.

I suppose a marketing pro has a different look at the word "open minded", probably quite close to "gullible" and indeed in that sense I like to try to keep my mind closed. I prefer to call this "scepticism" though.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Jump to: