electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
StringCheese
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: StringCheese Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had some fun today with running a sawtooth oscillator into the ADC module, yielding a bank of 8 pulse oscillators in octaves.

An idea for a cheesy "drawbar" string type instrument came to mind, but something had to be done about the boring pulse waves. So, by adding a second "pulse osc bank" driven by a slightly detuned sawtooth, and gating corresponding pulses with each other, PWM is achieved. However, with this technique, PW and the speed of PWM differ from octave to octave, resulting in a richer sound. It's "almost" the equivalent of 8 square oscs with 8 modulating LFOs -but very cheap DSP wise. Great for hi-poly "wall of sound" pads....

I wanted lots of polyphony, so I deliberately kept things simple, squeezing 31 voices out of an expanded G2. Therefore, there are only 2 static filters for all voices -reminiscent of old string machines. And I only used 6 of the 8 possible osc registers -still almost too much. But to use up the last mem% before hitting 25%/voice, I added the "timbre" button, which flips the polarity of one of the source sawtooths -resulting in rhythmically jumping PWM patterns when many "registers" are turned on. Just a gimmick, but gets some additional "movement" variations from an otherwise limited patch.

As I say -It's not a very versatile -just good for some big, orchestral and/or cheesy pads and sounds. Does a good church organ, too (Variation #8 ). I just wanted to utilize this fun "pulse osc bank" technique.

8 variations, ready to play. Enjoy....

tim

StringCheese TK.pch2
 Description:
hi poly"drawbar" type PWM pad machine, built on a nifty technique

Download
 Filename:  StringCheese TK.pch2
 Filesize:  2.09 KB
 Downloaded:  2445 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some neat tricks you used. Cheesy indeed, but it lives.

(*

This patch works superbly with the editor built in keyboard and my unique (*) chinese built 14 Euro active speaker system with - ))super stereo(( -, - diztorzion -, - cccmprsnnn - *and* a completely free radio receiver !!

(*) the original plastic enclosure was too bad even for my taste, so I sawed & glued & drilled a bit. It still has 'some coloration' of course ... I luckily managed to kill the radio by using some ferite on various wires.

Sorry ;-)

*)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very clever. You are right, you get a rich array of polyphonic sounds with this technique. Variation 4 is perfect for space music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very very clever indeed, how do you invent these things?
I for one should never come up with such ideas

Nice and so DSP cheap

Please don't go Smile

modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, nice to view a so tricky patch.thumb up

So I suppose your deep personal crisis is ran out just in one day Smile

You've done this useful patch where is shown a new concept to exploit from just two OSC a cheap DSP , layered sound patch only the day after you've replied to me in jupiter rehearsal Topic. (BTW I accept your apology, of course) And if results is this, I think you will have to be encouraged and excited for it to go on straight in your works and post here more.

My patches, my works on G2 is basically the results in conversion of NM1 patches or look of improvements in pre existing G2 patches,I didn't make anything new at all ,or highly clever, until now I think. This because i'm freshly new to modular technique and I'm trying to understand through observing done patches the tricks to build it from zero.

However your patch is another indisputable example of the ingegnous, and totally open-minded NordModular Architecture,possibilities are extreme and right close to be illimited.

So good work, Tim, hope to hear you soon Wink
Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent! And tricky indeed.
Some variations remind me of 10-CC kinda gizmo's...

Richard
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Jump to: