electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Making Glitch Music
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pudha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Making Glitch Music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How would you go about making Glitch music?

Would you chop up a sample in Recycle and simply pitch samples up and down to form a melody?

Or would you use a glitch plug-in such as Live Cut, although I find this approach a real hit and miss.

How would you apply a glitch to a beat?

I just want to start learning the tricks behind this genre of music.

Any help will be good

Thanks
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for not answering this directly, but I have heard people talk about glitch, and I would like to know what it is... can you mention some artist that is fairly well-known that produces stuff in this style?

/Stefan

Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's more adventurous way to obtain glitches.

Try burning some soundscapes and or beats on a cd-r, tape the cd-r to the bottom of your shoe, walk around for a while.

Take the cd of your shoe and clean it good with water and soap, dry it with a towel. Make sure it's scratched but not broken, also make sure the scratches are not too deep, if you can look straight through a cd-r, a laser can too!
Making sure that only the surface is scratched and it is clean, you're good to go!

Now put it in a stereo which can record to cassettetape, i use a very cheap sony ghettoblaster. The cheaper cd player tend to play a scratched cd easier then the better ones.

Record the output of the skipping and glitching cd to cassettetape and then record the cassette back to computer.

You could now for example blend the recordings with the original and use filters and cut and paste techniques to "glitch" your songs!

Lots of fun and it can give you a really noisy and glitchy layer to use in your work. The cassette compression and bandwith prevent the cd glitches to sound harsh, annoying or painful.

Have fun and think before you do!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, so that's what it should sound like! Very Happy

/Stefan

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Sorry for not answering this directly, but I have heard people talk about glitch, and I would like to know what it is... can you mention some artist that is fairly well-known that produces stuff in this style?

Oval is probably the best place to start, musically. You may also want to read some of Kim Cascone's articles like "The aesthetics of failure".

Personally I don't think any amount of dedicated plugins or bufferfuckery will get you "glitch", to me it's only glitch if something is actually going wrong and things are used in way they weren't intended to.

One of the most interesting approaches to computer-based glitch I read about comes from the SuperColider world where somebody created a method of generating glitches by intentionally overloading the CPU, creating glitches in the other processes.

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to use Reaktor to produce glitchy things. Reaktor has so many wild step sequencers and samplers. You can produce a basic wav file and then use a beat slicer to cut it up and rearrange. LiveSlice is perfect for that job.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
pudha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where did you learn to use Reaktor??

It's quite a daunting piece of kit
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just use the instruments (they call them ensembles) that come with it or that are in their vast online library. For ex: Random Step Shifter can make some incredible beats. I feed it my own wav files and adjust accordingly. I might sync that together with Newscool, another Reaktor beat generator, via Chainer or a sequencer such as Ableton. Then maybe I'll stick the resulting wav file into Liveslice and do some rearranging. I'd rather make music then spend time creating and building my own synths. Now I do prefer to make my own patches (Reaktor calls them Snapshots) from Reaktor synths.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
jkn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My more 'glitchy' tracks tend to involve things that started out unintentional - and then I zeroed in and manipulated what was going wrong or expanded on it.

Example... my Korg DSS-1 - when overdriving the filters in a mono patch will create some truly weird and crazy sounds on different keys - different harmonics. My Prophet 600 can be very scratchy big fat ugly when I want it to - triggering it with a simple midi pattern - sometimes it fires the sound - sometimes it ignores the midi signal entirely - so a bit of unintentional randomness mixed with bad (in a good way) audio...

Tools are tools are tools... once you really get to know your gear you can manipulate it in many different ways - and sometimes it never fails to surprise you even after 20 years of use...

I'd recommend going for writing the music in your head and let others add the genre tags (like glitch) to them... Smile
PCAhype

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the cool methods I've found is to run every program that you can on your computer until it is almost to the point of freezing up. Then I run iTunes with the option to crossfade songs on, at about 4 seconds. Then run an audio capturing program. Freecorder is a good piece of freeware for this. Start recording right at the end of one piece of music/sound before the crossfade kicks in. If your processor is jammed up enough, when the crossfade kicks in to play both sounds, you'll get some cool stuttering. Save the audio the audio capture records and run it through a sampler afterwards. I seem to get cooler sounds from this then the standard samlping tiny sound clips.

Of course this is not gonna work if the computer you're running this on is fast enough to handle all of that processing and then some (NOT a problem that I have!)
Grizzle

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wondering if you tried DB Glitch - http://illformed.org/blog/glitch/

it's a free download now.

As far as I can tell glitch can mean anything from granular synthesis (microsound) to exaggerating digital artifacts like CD's skipping, old modems, aliasing artifacts etc.

Some people write generative patches in programs like Max/Msp or Supercollider that make glitch type music all by themselves.

From what I've seen when people play glitch out, a lot of glitch musicians tend to favour a tracker approach to music like ModPlug, Renoise or Buzz.

LandOfDoAsYouPlease

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just try to make some really digital synth sounds that sound almost like glitch beats. Thats where I start my "melody".

For the loops, I usually use a drum machine, but for my samples, I'll find random things and f-them up with splits, cuts and effects.

That CD idea posted above sounds awesome. I am totally trying that tomorrow.

They Put Angels In the Electric Chair.
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you draw on the data side of any Sonic Youth CD, preferably with a big, fat, black marker, you always get awesome glitches. My fave album to do this to is 'Dirty.' Very Happy
LandOfDoAsYouPlease

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made some awesome glitches today by taking an old cassette and holding down a bunch of button combinations so the tape would play/fastfoward or fastfoward rewind so it was uber deep or really squeally. I got some great sounds.

They Put Angels In the Electric Chair.
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: