electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Debugging DSP code
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Debugging DSP code Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Well I have some DSP code that doesn't work, surprise, surprise.

The code uses interrupts and dma on the Chameleon so I am pretty sure I cannot debug in the simulator and I am also pretty sure that the chameleon doesn't allow hardware debugging.

So the only way I can think of doing this is writing data to the coldfire using the host port and displaying this to the log with a printf.

Is this the way to go about it or is there a better way?

Cheers

Andy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no solutions but I'm quite interested in the problem ;¬).
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In think host port and printf() to the debugging console or LCD is best. I've also used the DACs in the past.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Are
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome Andy! Sounds like you're in the thick of it, maxing out the fun Very Happy

Just want to add that you can also use the simulator, but you will have to write stimuli files to represent the CODEC. At the very least the bit clock and frame sync are needed to drive the serial port which drives the DMA.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I will look into stimuli files.

I have been playing with the Symphony Soundbite board today, I wish the chameleon supported hardware debugging.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think they're simply called I/O files in 56k sim speak.

While I agree that hardware debugging is nice, you can acheive much the same with the simulator, although it's a bit more work with the I/O files and all. Lucky for me I'm so old school that I actually prefer scopes, LEDs and printf() Laughing

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Lucky for me I'm so old school that I actually prefer scopes, LEDs and printf() Laughing

I remember the first processor board I ever built and how I had to debug those very first instructions with my old tube scope ... glad I needed that only once Wink

But a good scope and some protocol spy (just a PC with a bit of custom hardware/software) are very useful tools still for the stuff that emulator and ICE will not help you with.

Is it possible to run code from RAM on the Chameleon? That would make it possible to have dynamic breakpoints.

DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Is it possible to run code from RAM on the Chameleon? That would make it possible to have dynamic breakpoints.

All code in the host and DSP runs from RAM. The FLASH memory in the host computer is for boot code and offline storage of the soundskins. I suppose one could use compiled-in soft break points facilitated by macros, and then the host port (or the LCD even) for the console. That would not require any additional capabilities of the tool set, thus being a KISS compliant solution.

Edit to add: I wouldn't be surprised if there's some complete debugging monitor(s) written for the 56k already. But then again, writing your own monitor is always a good way to get to know the system...

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
All code in the host and DSP runs from RAM.

Cool

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The DSP supports JTAG/OnCE but there seems to be no way of getting at it in the Chameleon.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

All code in the host and DSP runs from RAM. The FLASH memory in the host computer is for boot code and offline storage of the soundskins. I suppose one could use compiled-in soft break points facilitated by macros, and then the host port (or the LCD even) for the console. That would not require any additional capabilities of the tool set, thus being a KISS compliant solution.

Edit to add: I wouldn't be surprised if there's some complete debugging monitor(s) written for the 56k already. But then again, writing your own monitor is always a good way to get to know the system...

DJ
--

Hi Are,

Are you saying that I can get at the front panel from DSP code without going through the host port?

Cheers

Andy
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Are you saying that I can get at the front panel from DSP code without going through the host port?

Sorry, I wasn't being clear - I meant that the host could use the LCD and buttons for a simple monitor console (a detailed log could still be printed in the debug window, but it lacks keyboard input if I remember correctly).

DJ
--
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Lucky for me I'm so old school that I actually prefer scopes, LEDs and printf() Laughing

I really like this stage where it does compile and run but does the wrong thing and you can debug by ear. Works best for controlling code, not so well for the DSP itself where a scope or printing a train of numbers works better but on the occasions where you can do it I find it lots of fun.

DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh.. the time is here to recite the DSP haiku by yon of the usenet:

silicon wafer moto
reluctant to pause in interrupt
still bleep to me sweetly

DJ
--
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually, it's interesting.

It would seem that a DSP debug interface (jtag) would be a requirement for QiX, am I right?

Paul
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being able to use the Symphony Studio dev env and debugger against it would be great.
lordavon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bob,

okdoky, noted.

Paul
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I have started to go off "Symphony Studio", when building projects any asm errors are just reported as a single make problem and you have to delve around in the console output to find the actual error.

If you program in C/C++ the error/warning reporting works fine but not for asm!

The debugger is good though.
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: