electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
PARTKITS for Jürgen Haible Designs - 1 - String Filter
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
b-funk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: PARTKITS for Jürgen Haible Designs - 1 - String Filter
Subject description: What do you think?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi fellow DIYers,

it is quite obvious that Jürgens projects are very popular, and it is very much likely that this will still be true in future. As many of you, especially those of you not living in Germany, very often run into trouble sourcing special parts for Jürgens designs, I decided, encouraged by Jürgen himself, to provide complete part kits for his projects.

Originally i intended to start with the Scanner project, but hey, why not the String Filter?
As Jürgen is already shipping the PCBs for the filter this obviously is a cold start, and i can´t completely rule out the possibility that improvments have to be done at one point or the other. That´s why i see this as some kind of test run, and would like it to be understood as such.

Nevertheless, the kits will of course be complete and of high quality. I will also try to get my coordination right and send the parts immediately after I received payment. Wink

About the kits:

Of course the kits contain all parts included in Jürgens BOM (well, kinda sure, right?) I will consult Jürgen about the parts I choose for the kits, i.e. I will provide Jürgen a partkit for the production run board he always builts before shipping the pcbs to ensure functionality.

If selected parts are required I will provide 2 options: either a kit that contains parts with tight tolerances, or a kit with selected parts, which will obviously be a bit more expensive.
The same principle applies for alternative assemly options (see Tau board -> either CA3046/86 or more expensive SSM2210/LM394).

When talking about costs: the kit price is orientated on what one would have to spend if he would buy the parts in the correct quantities needed for the project (e.g. parts ordered at Reichelt, Banzai, Digikey, Mouser etc).

The kits are not meant to be low-cost grab-bag, they are more like a good opportunity to get a complete, high quality parts kit for a moderate price without much effort. I think this absolutly meets with the qualitiy of Jürgens projects.

Ingredients:

- Metal film resistors
- Tempcos: PT146 from Precision Resistors
- Machined pins sockets
- Electrolytic caps: Panasonic FC series
- Foil caps: depending on value Panasonic Polypropylene (2% tolerance), Panasonic Stacked Metal Fil (5%) or Xicon Greenies (5%)
- Ceramic caps: NPO/C0G if possible, X7R otherwise
- Styroflex/polystyrene if required
- Semis: no ebay junk. I get my semis only at Segor and Banzai, in special cases directly from the manufacturer (like SSM2210...)
- All parts are seperatly packed in labeled plastic bags
- board connectors with attached cables, open on one side

I´m still not sure if I should also offer extra pot and jack kits, as this is extremly depending on personal taste and requirements. Input on this is very much appreciated!!!

All of that means for the String Filter:

Kit: 145 €

Shipping: small parcel via DHL
in Germany: 5 €, insured 8 €
Europe: 8 €
Rest of the world: 14 €

Insured shipping outside of germany is of course possible, but expensive, and therefor i´d ask you to contact me that we can figure something out.

Payment: within Germany and Europe I prefer bank transfer, Paypal otherwise.

To find out how much interest in those kits exists please post tin this thread. I plan to proceed to the next step and ask for binding orders in 1 week from now on, if there is enough interest. And then: let´s go! Very Happy

Please also post any questions and any suggestions you have here, cause please remember: this is a quite rapid start...

I´m really curious about your input.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Last edited by b-funk on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 am; edited 4 times in total
Luka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any chance for triple chorus, krautrock phaser or frequency shifter?
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
b-funk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi luka,

yes, there is a chance that there will be kits for the "older" projects, but not right now. first i have to find a routine for handling this. that´s why i jumped late on the string filter, because it is a quite easy project when it comes to parts - perfect for a start.
then there will be kits for the scanner project, and if everything works out fine, i guess this will be the time to think about the "elderly".

best wishes,

tobias.
Electronicant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just about to place an order of parts kits from Scott Deyo of Bridechamber. He put together kits as well for JH designs and in fact for all boms you send him. But that´s in the US. Would be great with someone in Europe selling kits too! hope you can make kits for all JH designs in an near future.

Good luck!
All the best!
kokoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

another vote for old projects kits, more specifically - the triple chorus and schulte phaser.

cause otherwise i'll have to get a pair of those resonator boards as well Very Happy

anyways, really glad this is happening, thanks a lot!
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few words about this from my part:

When I started publishing my circuits for musical electronics devices in the
internet some years ago, these were strictly schematics-only: There was no
PCB layout, because I've built it all on veroboard.

Last year I started to offer PCBs, and consequently had to start my own
business. (In Germany, you need a licence if you sell more than two of the
same items, and so I did all the necessary legal stuff.)

About a year later, and from the feedback I receive, I can say it's been a
successful year, and I want to go on designing PCBs and selling them.

I've been repeatedly asked about also selling the components required for my
projects, and not just the bare PCBs. I fully understand this, especially as
my PCBs are sold around the whole world, and availibility of components can
be very different depending on where you live. I appreciate all efforts of
customer-organized group-buys, Bridechamber's picking up the Tau project,
and in one case (LDRs for the Krautrock Phaser) I bought a large number of
parts myself and distributed them together with pre-ordered PCBs.

But it is quite clear to me that I do not want to go into the kits / parts
business myself. I rather focus on designing more PCBs - I've always been
more of a musician and engineer than a merchant! - and I think I have
projects in my head already that will keep me busy for the next 10 years or
so. Smile

So I've been looking for a partner who would start his own business as an
"authorized dealer" (or whatever you would call this) of components for JH.
projects. Tobias was the first to approach me, and I hope we can establish a
close collaboration that will make it more comfortabe for you to build
something with my PCBs.

Of course these will be two separate companies, and legally, you're still
just buying "FR4 with copper traces" from me, and a collection of parts
based on my BOMs (with "errors excepted") from Tobias - i.e. no foolproof
diy-kit, no guarantees! - but in practice, we plan to do the following: When
I build my second prototype, I'll build it from production-run PCBs (as I
did before, to make sure the final PCB is ok) *and* (that's new, starting
with the Scanner project) I will get a set of parts from Tobias just like
anybody else will be able to buy them, und use _these_ for the second
prototype. Should be a good practical means to make sure everything is all
right.

All this is not exclusive. You will still be able to just buy a blank PCB,
and use whatever parts you have in your drawer, or buy anywhere else. But I
think it's a great opportunity for all who want to make their DIY activities
more comfortable. Also, I'll get a certain percentage from Tobias' sales, so
buy buying from him you're also supporting my work.

I hope this new development of what has started as a little hobby of mine
will find some positive resonance! Smile

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
kokoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great idea, i'm really glad you two connected, these are really the golden times for SDIY!
b-funk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,

sorry ffor my late reply, but there was an urgent family issue, and therefor i wasn´t in town and not online.

but i did think a little further of course:

as i found out in german forums, the demand for complete partkits is quite low, but there is interest in special parts kits.
therefor i decided to offer complete partkits and special part kits.
but what are the special parts in the string filter?
your input is wanted here Very Happy what parts would you like to see in there?

with the special part kits you have also the chance to get some spares of the harder-to-get parts.

so, what do you think? is this a good way to go?

i´m 2 days behind my schedule because of the above mentioned reason, that´s why i´d suggest to wait until thursday for opinions, critics or suggestions, and the finally proceed as intended Very Happy

best wishes,

tobias

ps: after this project is through i intend to offer special parts kits for jürgens older projects on demand (solina, schulte phaser, tau frequency shifter). what do you think of that?
Spratty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello b-funk.

I think those of us outside of Europe may still be interested in bulbs for the Schulte. I know I am Wink

Spratty Wink
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes i need bulbs too
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would be very interested in a kit for the Schulte Phaser and the Triple Chorus.
b-funk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alright, it seems that the schulte pars are the most wanted...

do you need just the bulbs, or also the sockets. and what about the relay? quite a few guys did have trouble finding a suitable one...

best wishes,

tobias
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me, in the U.S., the bulbs, the sockets, the LDRs and the relay.

b-funk wrote:

do you need just the bulbs, or also the sockets. and what about the relay? quite a few guys did have trouble finding a suitable one...

best wishes,

tobias
asafnetzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tobias,

If possible, I would like the LDR's and the relay for 2 phasers.

Regards,

Asaf
Luka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

b-funk wrote:

best wishes,

tobias

bulbs sockets and relay pls

Spratty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka,

Jaycar do sell a screw bulb socket.

Spratty Wink
b-funk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I´m back from the weekend, and have some news.

1. I nearly have all parts for the String Filter together, but some are still on backorder. I was promised that the last parts will be shipped to me in about 10 days. That means: I will take binding orders now, but won´t send out the invoices until the last parts arrive, or at least are scheduled to arrive within 2 or 3 days.

Also: I added 1 big heatsink to the kit. That means the kit price increases to 145 €

Each part value will be seperately packed and labeled.

The rest is still the same:

in Germany: 5 €, insured 8 €
Europe: 8 €
Rest of the world: 14 €

If you´re outside of Germany, and want insured shipping, please notify me with your order about this. I will figure something out then.

2. I will offer a "Schulte" kit in parellel, containing 2 lamp sockets, 6 light bulbs (3 as spares) and a sufficent relay. These are readily available, but can be combined with the String Filter kit, of course Wink

Price of the set is 14 €

Shippnig in bubble wrap envelope:

Germany 3 €
Rest of the world 5 €

I wanted to include the LDRs, but my supplier as only something like 20 in stock, and it will take at least 6 weeks to deliver larger quantities to me. So, what i can offer is the following: if you need the LDRs, you can order them with the "Schulte" kit, and i send them to you free of charge when they arrive here. A set containing of 8 LDRs cost 32 €.
Please make a note about this in your order.

The ordering procedure goes as follows:

Please send your order to:

ts-parts (a t) web . de

(you know how this goes: name@ etc...)

Please include the quantity and type of kit in the about line

(like this: Order for 2 Schulte Kits with LDRs)

Please include in the mail:

-your name
-full adress
-how you like to pay (bank transfer or paypal - if paypal: please include your paypal billing adress)
-from which list/forum you come

I will send you an email with all details about payment and other information and a pdf invoice. If you´re paying via paypal you will also receive a paypal invoice.

I´m looking forward to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Tobias

Last edited by b-funk on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:10 am; edited 5 times in total
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic - thank you!!!

b-funk wrote:
Hey guys,

I´m back from the weekend, and have some news.

1. I nearly have all parts for the String Filter together, but some are still on backorder. I was promised that the last parts will be shipped to me in about 10 days. That means: I will take binding orders now, but won´t send out the invoices until the last parts arrive, or at least are scheduled to arrive within 2 or 3 days.

Also: I added 2 heatsinks to the kits. That means the kit price increases to 125 € / 200 us$

Each part value will be seperately packed and labeled.

The rest is still the same:

in Germany: 5 € / 8 US$, insured 8 € / 13 US$
Europe: 8 € / 13 US$
Rest of the world: 14 € / 22 US$

If you´re outside of Germany, and want insured shipping, please notify me with your order about this. I will figure something out then.

2. I will offer a "Schulte" kit in parellel, containing 2 lamp sockets, 6 light bulbs (3 as spares) and a sufficent relay. These are readily available, but can be combined with the String Filter kit, of course Wink

Price of the set is 9 € / 14,50 us$

Shippnig in bubble wrap envelope:

Germany 3 € / 5 us$
Rest of the world 5 € / 8 us$

I wanted to include the LDRs, but my supplier as only something like 20 in stock, and it will take at least 6 weeks to deliver larger quantities to me. So, what i can offer is the following: if you need the LDRs, you can order them with the "Schulte" kit, and i send them to you free of charge when they arrive here. A set containing of 8 LDRs cost 18 € / 28 us$.

Please make a note about this in your order.

The ordering procedure goes as follows:

Please send your order to:

ts-parts (a t) web . de

(you know how this goes: name@ etc...)

Please include the quantity and type of kit in the about line

(like this: Order for 2 Schulte Kits with LDRs)

Please include in the mail:

-your name
-full adress
-how you like to pay (bank transfer or paypal - if paypal: please include your paypal billing adress)
-from which list/forum you come

I will send you an email with all details about payment and other information and a pdf invoice. If you´re paying via paypal you will also receive a paypal invoice.

I´m looking forward to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Tobias
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great, once i pay off some other group buys ill get right on that phaser set.
thanks for doing this tobias

Spratty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incase people were worried about ordering from b-funk, today I got my Schulte bulbs, relay, and lamp holders.

Some details:

Envelope nicely taped up
Parts put into a small cardboard box, in a small bag with bubblewrap
Finder 12V Relay

Lampholders were better than I expected. Far easier to put on a pcb than ones I have.

So far so good! Smile It'll take me a while to build the phaser, but I'm glad I have the parts.

Thanks for offering the parts b-funk.

Cheers!
Spratty Wink
b-funk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Owen,

good to hear your parts arrived. Very Happy
And thank you for your nice words.

Have fun with your Schulte (as soon it is finished).

Best wishes,

Tobias
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine as well, ridiculously fast. Thanks again.
david362809

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Jh string filter
Subject description: Difficult components
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tobias.I bought the 2 main string filter pcbs from Jurgen,plus all the common resistors & diodes so i had something to get on with on a recent holiday,but i was wondering if you were willing to supply me with a kit of all the remaining components please,just paying for those parts of course?Even many of the caps dont seem very common.Many thanks.Dave.
ach_gott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just noticed that the BOM is wrong and you need 4x5k1 rs and 3x5k6 rs. I'll find that extra 5k1 somewhere. Wink

Your parts kits are simply fantastic. I'm enjoying this immensely.
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding the Tantals:

They are marked with a line, but no + sign, is this the +pole ?
Those from reichelt have also a line and the + sign under the line = i thought the line is allways indicating the + pole, right ?

Nice to build with partkits, you just have everything at Hand and no Delays over month ( as i have sometimes ).
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: