electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Digital Performer Users!
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Digital Performer Users!
Subject description: tell me if you love/hate your DAW
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a wavering switcher (from Logic Studio to not-sure-yet). If you use DP, please tell me why you love it and why you don't.

Thank you! Very Happy

Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use PT and logic a lot for school, but am a very happy Digital Performer user for the past 4 years now! I still use 4.6 , because I don't need updates.

At home I wouldn't want to use anything else, I mix people's work in it, recorded our last album and use it as a creative composition tool. It comes with good plugins, works great with max etcetera.

It's powerful, cheap, easy and creative.. everything I need in a daw.

ps.. I sound like a salesman, please ask some more specific questions and hopefully I could answer those!

Jyoti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers, Alexander! That's exactly the kind of info I'm after.

As for specifics: how would you contrast Logic to DP in terms of speed. If you wanted to bash out a track quickly, I'm assuming you'd prefer DP but why?

Also, where do you think Logic is better than DP?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our most excellent EdisonRex is a DP user.

Paul?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jyoti wrote:

As for specifics: how would you contrast Logic to DP in terms of speed. If you wanted to bash out a track quickly, I'm assuming you'd prefer DP but why?

Also, where do you think Logic is better than DP?

I don't think one is better than the other.. and comparing Logic to DP is almost impossible.

If I want to bash a track out Very Happy I stick to DP because I know more shortcuts and am used to it. People who work with protools or logic or ... , will tell you the same.

My philosophy for choosing it over the other is that nobody I know uses it and that gives me a tabula rasa, no pressure to get into my own routine of mixing.

I read the sos article on DP every month and for really nasty bugs I check the guys at unicornnation, but other than that it's me the sound material and that's it. The manual turns into a reference manual pretty fast!

To me it looks and works a bit like pro tools, but in protools I have assignments in which I HAVE to work a certain way and do a certain do. I don't know if I want to, but on a professional level, working with widely accepted software in a widely accepted fashion seems to land people jobs.

I like to stay home with a manual and a toy and just figure it out, I don't care about the latest features and what I miss when I choose something over the other.

I am in a lucky position to work with a lot of stuff and obtain all sorts of exotic software, but after a few years now, I really enjoy the couple of things I chose to use. I dove into max and DP intensively for a few months and it pays off. No matter what you choose it's better to stick with it and master it than to worry about what the other kids are doing.

Eventually it is you becoming faster and faster, not the software!

Wink

Jyoti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info, Alexander, much appreciated! Very Happy

I guess I'm just getting frustrated because I've used Logic since version 3 and thought it's undoubtedly grown more powerful, I feel that some of the usability has been sacrificed in the process. I would rather have one piece of software that does one thing well rather than trying to do everything.

I tried going to unicornnation but I couldn't register so I couldn't read anything! Either the admins there have got a problem with me (waah!) or, as I think is more likely, they're not keen on gmail addresses.

Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I registered through a gmail address! That should not be a problem..
Jyoti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Confused

Well, it must just be me then. I can't think what I've done to anger them!

...later...

Well, I just successfully registered with another email address. So, my usual one must have been banned! How bizarre!

Now, I'm a bit scared to have a look about. Shocked

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Our most excellent EdisonRex is a DP user.

Paul?

Sorry, been on holidays. Just saw this post.

I've been using Performer since 1994, DP since 1996. I have watched it evolve. I will be upgrading to 6, and probably ditching my mixing console finally, as I think DP is about as complete as it gets for a studio environment, integrating both MIDI, audio, software and multimedia. I think it's very intuitive, and if you get stuck, there's 1000 pages of printed documentation.

Also MOTU support is actually pretty good.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Jyoti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers, EdisonRex!

Well, I've ordered DP6... let's hope I like it! Shocked

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jyoti wrote:
Cheers, EdisonRex!

Well, I've ordered DP6... let's hope I like it! Shocked

I hope you like it too. if you have questions, feel free to ask here.

Jyoti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ta very much. I've been lurking over at Unicornation and I'm a bit worried because of some of the threads there. Shocked

But I know it's the same with every major DAW update.

I phoned Musictrack today and they still have no ETA on the upgrade copies (I bought v4 ages ago but never got to grips with it as Logic was better back then).

Just waiting now... Cool

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i got the notification from Musictrack that they are taking orders, but I don't plan on doing anything until I am back from holidays. And then I'm thinking of redesigning the audio paths in the studio. The midi paths are okay but I will probably start to phase out the Roland VM7200's role in the studio.

Jyoti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know it's going to be a wrench, switching DAW but I need to get away from Logic before it sends me mental.

And a lot of peeps I trust have told me they prefer DP's audio engine to every other DAW so let's see if I can hear the difference! Very Happy

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: