electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Reasonable price
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reasonable price Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What would be a reasonable price for a used Chameleon? I saw one for €500 and another for €900.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jan,

I just payed around €500 for a new boxed one so that sort of figure is probably the way to go.

Another much cheaper alternative is the Freescale Symphony Soundbite development board for only $150.

I have just got one of these and the advantages I see of this is that it has 8 ins and outs and a much nicer development environment than the chameleon which includes hardware debugging. Also a more recent DSP with about twice the power I think than the chameleon.

Disadvantages are that it is just a dev board, no midi, no pots and buttons, no controlling processor, small memory etc.

From what I can see so far the usb to the soundbite can be used for data so the controlling code can run on a pc, rather than on the coldfire in the chameleon.

Memory may be another problem, I have only just got it so don't know too much at the moment.

Cheers

Andy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Andy!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you have a look here http://qix.synth.net Paul Maddox (of chameleon fame) is using the soundbite with a 5251 dev board to put together a sort of son of chameleon.

The 5251 board has a coldfire chip on it, the only one I can find on the freescale sight is a $1000 board, I don't know if he is using this.

Paul ?
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bob,

Yes, i'm using the 5251 eval board, the aim is to incorporate a 5251 (or 5253) with dsp (56720, same as the soundbite) onto a board and module for around $700 in total.

As for prices, I've seem change hands for anything from 400 to 900 euros, usually though, they go for around the 450-550 area.

Paul (who is looking for a second one if anyone is selling)
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paul,

I had a look at your site and then looked on the Freescale sight for the 5251 dev board and it was nearly $1000 which shocked me a bit, you can get a ok laptop for that!

Have you expanded the memory on the soundbite board or is it even possible?

Cheers

Andy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:

I'm not buying it, decided I would not have the time it needs ... so maybe it's still there : http://muziek.marktplaats.nl/soundmodules/176910636-soundart-chameleon.html

Did some googling on the selling party, seemed OK to me - when you need more details I can look those up when I'm back home later today.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats a shame Jan.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's saving me money by keeping me away from the bars in the evening, now I just have my head in a load of strange pdf files!
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bob,

aye, that board is expensive, but it does conatin a lot of stuff we just don't need for QiX.

Mr Blue Hell,

Thanks for the link, I mailed him, I think...
I have a friend in holland who I'm meeting next week (for synth diy uk 2008) and I'm hoping I can get it to him in time to bring with him.

Paul
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are you getting along with QiX?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:
I mailed him, I think...

Shocked right Laughing

When you replace the 06 the phone number starts with by 00316 you should be able to phone ... there was POTS number as well somewhere ... let me see ... ah here it is : http://xchange.interface.nl/read.cgi?search=chameleon ; same text same person.

lordavon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
How are you getting along with QiX?

Slowly, Trying to get USB module built into the kernel image, but I'm not having much success at the moment.
I've found some more out about the LTIB package this week so hopefully I can get some more done this weekend.
That said I've got to get ready for SynthDIY UK 2008, which is next weekend (12th).

paul
sergiommms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Jan,

I just payed around €500 for a new boxed one so that sort of figure is probably the way to go.

(...)

Cheers

Andy

Same here Smile
sergiommms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:
(...) I've seem change hands for anything from 400 to 900 euros, usually though, they go for around the 450-550 area.

I am in the position to confirm current/going price is 450eur-550...
- Missed one on eBay about one year ago, and it sold for more or less 430eur (it could have been 530, my memory fails me here...)
- Missed one about a month ago, which eventually was reserved for me, but got sold in hand, in Spain, for 450eur

...altough I just got a second one for 420, ship. included from Germany Wink
Yes! Fully boxed with psu and cds on top Wink Bloody lucky... or not... it had been relisted by the seller about four to five times, since it did not sell at first for 599 and then a little less, and again a little less... and some more... until I steped in and pulled the trigger! Aahahahahaha! It´s mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!
Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know how many of these units were produced?
Last edited by Junk Rhythm on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.p.macklin wrote:

Does anyone know how many of these units were produced?

I dunno, Are might know, but since the only active community on the web for the Chameleon seems to be electro-music.com then I´m guessing we´ll soon see the makers of the Chameleon show up here. Exclamation Question Idea Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, we´re the Borg...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
white duv productions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: just bought mine today Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hii everybody

im new to the soundart chameleon.
last night after a nightmare i went onto marktplaats.nl and was xctualy looking for a airbase 99 when i came across a verry atractive add.
i never heard or seen it before so it cuaght my attention.
it was a ad for the soundart chameleon.
the guy who was sellin it offered it for 350 euros and i was kinda like ,what is this for niffty unit.
so my quest for info started.
at first i thought imm gonna make a bid of 300 but when i came across this forum i saw what the going rate is for the chameleon and decided after also looking at the homepage that this was the thing i was looking for.
a dsp enviroment in wich i could learn programming dsp while at the other hand there where enuff skins available to make it a good buy for 350 euro.
so i decided to call the guy ,and so i did at 9 o clock sharp.
first i got an answerring machine so i left a mesage and called a little later again and went to the site where it was for sale ,deciding that i send him a email that i wanted it for the price he asked.
well to make a short story long ,he called me bac round 9:20 am and i told him i was interested in the chameleon for the price he asked.
we made an apointment ,i was lucky he lives in the same city as me and holland aint that bigg lol.
a hour later i was in his studio and he showed me the chameleon and it was like the add said brandnew.
so i tested a few keys ,it was the infiltrator that was loaded and i knew than and there it was a good deal.
i bought it and now im da lucky owner of the soundart chameleon. i found on another dutch site some information about the qauntity off wich dey were produced.
its a response from soundart from 2005.
here a quote :

Hi <???????>,

First of all, thank you so much for your patience and trust in the Soundart Chameleon mkII project.

Also, please accept my most sincere apologies for the delay in sending you some news about the Chameleon mkII.

Unfortunately, the news are not very good.

After deep consideration and nearly 500 Chameleon units in use around the world, we have decided that we can not afford the financial risk that would be involved in going ahead with the Chameleon mkII project. Amongst the several factors that pushed us to make this tough decission there is the number of pre-orders received, the evident need to add several key features to guarantee some possibilities of commercial success (that would require additional development time) and the limited resources available.

On the other hand we realize that, during the past months, our motivations to continue the project were more personal and coming from our hearts than business driven. After all, the Chameleon has been like our child, of which we are very proud as a concept and as an achievement. However, we have to admit that the current general market trends clearly indicate that we are pursuing the wrong way, although we still are definitely convinced that the fundamental concept of the Chameleon will prevail in a future market generation.

For this reason, Soundart will not entirely disappear. We will keep in a kind of hibernation mode and wait to resume some of the many projects that we have in mind at the time when the surrounding circumstances will be more reassuring. This means that the web site will remain online as a resource source, although updates and support in the forum or by e-mail can not be guaranteed. As a DIY grassroots project we of course want to see the Chameleon project continue, as that is what we made it for in the first place. So we will be around as much as we can.

My personal contact information is detailed below in the signature of this e-mail in case of need of assistance to repair a faulty Chameleon or if you are interested in talking to try to find ways the participate and / or cooperate in a possible future Soundart new project or re-incarnation.

Concerning your 100 Euro pre-payment for the Chameleon mkII, I can offer you several options:

1) Refund via PayPal.
2) Use it as part payment to purchase a fully new Chameleon at the ex-demo price (we have a very limited number of brand new units still in stock).
3) Use it as part payment to purchase some old, but unused and originally packaged, stuff from Waldorf, Clavia, Access, ESI, Aardvark, SM Pro Audio and other manufacturers that we have in stock. If you are interested, please let me know and I will send you a list.

Please, let me know which option you prefer.

Thank you very much once again for your support and understanding. I sincerely hope to be able to meet you again in a near future.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours truly.

Josep-Oriol Tomas i Huynh-Quan-Chiêu
Musical Muntaner S.A. trading as Soundart Gran Vía Pau Casals, 27 17480 Roses (Girona) - SPAIN
Phone: +34 972 256 257
Fax: +34 972 154 577
Cell: +34 607 202 048
http://www.soundart-hot.com/
E-mail: jotomas@soundart-hot.com

so we all who have a unit are one of the 500 people in the world who own a soundart chameleon.

i thank da seller cuase when i finaly figured out how to load skins i loaded the australis and since that moment im playin and tweaking with the chameleon.

im so happy.

so i gues with sum luck u can find a chameleon like i did for a reasonable price.

sincere

white duv productions
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice story white duv! and welcome
white duv productions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: im sellin mine again Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just wanted to let u all know im selling mine again.
i bought it for the main purpouse of learning to program , but it seems the learning curve is much to high for me.
so i start with learning programming vsti now.

ive bought it last week and its realy a brandnew unit , so i ask the same price as i payed , wich is 350 euro.
maybe some of u are interested in another chameleon.
its already on the marketplace part of the forum.
so if anyone is interested check my add.
i thought i let u all know.

greetings

white duv productions
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: