electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Novamusik reports that the G2 is discontinued in the US
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Novamusik reports that the G2 is discontinued in the US Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just talked with NovaMusik, they reported that Clavia is stopping sales of the G2 in the US.

Would someone with close ties to Clavia verify this?

buzzr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you look at most of the major places that used to stock the G2 they have all but dried up. I was thinking about getting another engine as I see this instrument being with me for a long time to come. But if they are going to be putting out a new device that would be nice also. But they never say nothing so it's hard to know.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
If you look at most of the major places that used to stock the G2 they have all but dried up. I was thinking about getting another engine as I see this instrument being with me for a long time to come. But if they are going to be putting out a new device that would be nice also. But they never say nothing so it's hard to know.

According to Novamusik, the decision was related to the weakening of the US dollar.

If this is true, this means people in the US wanting to buy the G2 will have to buy it from overseas.

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 engine has been discontinued worldwide.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
The G2 engine has been discontinued worldwide.

Do you have any sources for that?

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm on good personal terms with the swiss distributor, and they pointed out to me half a year ago ago that production of the engine would soon be discontinued.

As I couldn't clearly assess the officiality and the confidentiality of this information, I decided to keep it to myself for the time being.

However, a week ago, we did try to order an engine for a friend of mine. But the distributor had none left in stock, so they tried to get one from Stockholm (no pun intended Laughing), but no luck. G2 engines are OUT. So now I think I'm allowed to go public with this information.

According to the statements of the distributor, the engine was a poor seller. That's why they decided to discontinue it.

What's left is what's in the stocks of the retailers. So if you want to get a new G2 engine, get one now!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I just went to dolphonmusic here in the uk who stock clavia gear and found this:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/3709
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tim and Andy, that seems clear enough .. too bad that there seems to be no market for such gear.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the G2 FAQ on the Nord USA website:

Are the 61-key G2X and G2 Engine still available?

No; both the G2X and G2 Engine have been discontinued, The 37-key G2 is still in production, as is the G2 Expander, and Clavia continues to support the G2. No plans exist to replace the G2 at any time.

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Thanks Tim and Andy, that seems clear enough .. too bad that there seems to be no market for such gear.

Well I don't see it that way. I strongly believe that the G2 product line could have been a huge success if presented and marketed correctly. Clavias presentation of the G2 remains one of the biggest product packaging and marketing goof-ups I've ever witnessed in synth industry.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I have just been searching around the web for somewhere with it in stock and can find none!

Thomann have it is stock at €799 with the expansion board at €319.

Thats nearly £880 for the two, a bit pricey but maybe a must buy if they have stopped building them.

I have emailed the UK distributer to ask about availability.

Andy
buzzr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, this is kinda serious stuff. I can't find any engines in stock in the U.S.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
buzzr wrote:

According to Novamusik, the decision was related to the weakening of the US dollar.

If this is true, this means people in the US wanting to buy the G2 will have to buy it from overseas.

It looks like I got one of the last G2 expanders from Novamusik, but the Gig Bags, Gooseneck Mics, and CLavia Tshirts are all on back order.
The Gigbags have been back ordered for months.
What's going on at Clavia??

sitarman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just bought my g2 w/ expander (no gig bag or mic) last week at Nova. Not sure if I should be happy I got one or concerned that I just bought an edsel.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sitarman wrote:
I just bought my g2 w/ expander (no gig bag or mic) last week at Nova. Not sure if I should be happy I got one or concerned that I just bought an edsel.

You absolutely made the right choice- don't even think twice.
I still use my original Nord Modular, as do many people.
It hasn't been supported by Clavia for many years.

I think too much attention is given to "perceived obsolescence".

Think Moog, Sequential Circuits, Roland (as in Jupiters 4,6,Cool, Yamaha (as in CS-80, Dx-everything). These haven't been supported/made for a long time, are still wanted by many, still are a lot of fun too. Some have even been emulated in software because of their popularity (ok, in the case of the CS-80, because of its weight) Smile

Last edited by cappy2112 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sitarman wrote:
I just bought an edsel.

Quote:
In May 1958, then Vice President Richard Nixon was on a trip to Peru, riding in an Edsel convertible, when he was pelted with eggs and tomatoes by demonstrators. Nixon later joked: "They were throwing eggs at the car, not me

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arrow http://www.edsel.com/pages/edslfilm.htm

e_bought.wav
 Description:
"You bought an Edsel!" (Kathleen Turner, Peggy Sue Got Married 1986)

Download
 Filename:  e_bought.wav
 Filesize:  410.78 KB
 Downloaded:  1766 Time(s)

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
varice

G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Information from Clavia's US distributor Nord USA:

There has been NO announcement that the G2 Keyboard has been discontinued for sale in the US.

dasz

G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was buying my bcr2000 at a local music store last week, and the guy said, he's sold some g2 recently, referring to a nice g2 engine or two.

Even if the G2 was discontinued, I will not be discontinued Wink It is not the instrument or it's popularity, or it's OS version or build number.

It is down to what I CAN do with it. My last synth purchase was a waldorf xt, since the last nice VA i owned was a MWII (almost a decade ago) and I wanted knobs for it.
/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
sitarman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys are hilarious, by the way, have you seen the price collectors pay fopr an edsel these days?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sitarman wrote:
have you seen the price collectors pay fopr an edsel these days?

There seems to be a bit of variation ...

Quote:
Even so, in the last two years he has sold a ’59 Corsair convertible for $23,000 and a ’60 Ranger sedan for $8,650. One of the rarest Edsels, a ’60 Ranger convertible, got a high bid of $110,000 but did not sell at the recent Kruse Fall Auburn Sale in Auburn, Ind.

(source NYT, I also borrowed the image from there)

Last edited by blue hell on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dasz

G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not wanting to sound blunt, but I love the 3 octave G2 design. it seems the most pure feel, but of course I could be biased.

now I have a bcr2000 for other duties.
/Dasz
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sitarman wrote:
You guys are hilarious, by the way, have you seen the price collectors pay fopr an edsel these days?

Hell, I went to a Cigar shop to buy some empty cigar boxes that I wanted to use for some projects. They wanted to charge me for the empty boxes!!!!!!!!

What is the world coming to?

buzzr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cigar boxes, yes they charge $ for them now. I saw some guy putting his projects in tupperware boxes. We are running out of cigars I guess...
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: