electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Ambiophonic Processor
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Ambiophonic Processor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since Ambiophonics is all the rage these days, here's an Ambiophonic Processor soundskin for the Chameleon.

This first version is using mosc's latest take on ambiophonics, i.e. no filter and no feedback as oposewd to the RACE version. There is an ELF file for those with a serial cable available (thus you can avoid FLASHing it just for testing) and a MID file for MIDI downloading.

It is untested in the sense that I only have headphones here ATM... which I assume is nonsense with ambiophonics. That's an incentive for unpacking my stereo gear then Laughing

The processor runs at 192kHz sample rate in order to give a delay resolution of 5.2µS. The code is based on the 'resample' example from Soundart. The resampling filters have 100dB stop band attenuation. Press EDIT to toggle bypass (LED on = bypass), and use control 1 and 2 for ambiophonic (sidechain) level and delay time. There are no other features for now.

I will update later, perhaps adding a RACE mode, and I will post the sources when it's done.

EDIT: new version uploaded!
EDIT 2: pulled the soundskin until it is properly verified

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll give this a go a bit latter, my monitors are so far apart already I don't know if I will notice much difference for me either.

I would be very interested in looking at the code though.

Andy
Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to dig around in the code as well. I can't really fire it up for a few months when I get my studio back though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting this, but it is very important to test these processors. Most people will only give this one quick test. If the processor has an error they will make a snap judgment that ambiophonics doesn't work, which would be a very unfortunate thing.

To me, ambiophonics is the biggest thing to happen to audio since stereo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just noticed I made a very serious error in my drawing. Please check that there are inverters after the delay modules. It won't work without those. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I just noticed I made a very serious error in my drawing. Please check that there are inverters after the delay modules. It won't work without those. Embarassed

OK - fixed.

New version uploaded in the top posting. I was in the middle of rewriting things, with an added RACE mode, and so this update is a quick and dirty ad-hoc hack.

I shall verify this against mosc's VST, but I don't have a setup that allows that right now, so it will probably happen in a few days. In the meantime:
Please treat this as an ALPHA release only

I will upload a new version with sources soon'ish (I don't have much time to code on the Chami). If you do not want to experiment, please wait for the final verified release.

DJ
--
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'm missing something, what is an Ambiophonic Processor?

Any audio examples up aywhere?

Paul
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a quick description from www.ambiophonics.org :
Quote:
The short answers are: It's "speaker-binaural" - and it's a better way to listen to stereo and 5.1 surround. Ambiophonics is named to suggest that, for critical listening, it is the ultimate replacement for stereophonics, just as stereophonics replaced monophonics.

Thus an audio example is not really possible; you have to try it out on a set of stereo speakers that are placed very close together. We have a dedicated sub forum for ambiophonics here: Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction.

DJ
--
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DR,

Sounds good, if you want I'll host it on Chameleon.synth.net. Just write me a short bit about what it does and how it works and I'll upload it.

Paul
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please, before you post it, we need a way of verifying that it works. It would be terrible to post something that doesn't work. Then people would get a negative impression of ambiophonics and that would really set things back, especially with the internet.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your concern is duly noted.

EDIT: attachement in the top posting are pulled until the soundskin is properly verified.

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. Now, how to verify? Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Thanks. Now, how to verify? Very Happy

The files will never be the same on the bit level of course Laughing Guess the two of you will end up exchanging flacs ...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for a while .. Shocked
mjkirk12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: DSP code available?
Subject description: Ambiophonic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was the code for Chameleon ever updated and posted for the Ambiophonic processing?

I created a short subroutine for the EVM56002 that applies the effect. I could post the code or if there is a benchmark sound file to try, I could encode and post the output as MP3 or WAV.

Cheers,
Mike
Chicago, IL USA
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DSP code available?
Subject description: Ambiophonic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mjkirk12 wrote:
Was the code for Chameleon ever updated and posted for the Ambiophonic processing?

The code as such is ready to go. Only the test and verification is missing. With the rather small number of potential users, I haven't made it a priority to get it published. It's based on the encoder variety devised by or own forum member and commander in chief, mosc (link here). Mosc and R Miller have since made a new and improved version (link here), which is proprietary and commercial AFAIK, so I don't know how interesting the old one is now.

There are test vectors for mosc's previous encoder here. If you need to test the RACE version, I think the best thing is to contact Robin Miller.

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This algorithm is still very good for giving the algorithm a check to see if you like it. It's not very adjustable and several improvements have been made since, but it still is quite good enough to demonstrate the effect.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: