electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
New YUSYNTH Clock Divider module
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: New YUSYNTH Clock Divider module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a new YUSYNTH module :

The Clock Divider which provides three independent decimal counter that can be selected to divide clock signals by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. Very handy to control and synchronize two or three analogue sequencers or to trig events at regular steps.

Check it here :
http://yusynth.net/Modular/index.html
or directly here
http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/DIVIDER/index.html

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fantastic, another great and highly useful Yu-Synth module; I really like the fact that it's three dividers in one module. I have a CGS divider that hasn't been paneled yet; I think I'd like to combine the two now.

Is there any plan to offer a PCB through Bride Chamber (I just as well buy manufactured board than etch one)?
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:

Is there any plan to offer a PCB through Bride Chamber (I just as well buy manufactured board than etch one)?

Not yet but I think there will.

Right now the modules that are planned to be distributed by Bridechamber are :
Diode VCF
Minimoog VCF
Ring Modulator
Random Module
Min/Max

Those already available are :
Saw animator
ARP4072 VCF
CV standards
Fixed Filter Bank

Cheers

Yves

bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good work Yves!

I love these sort of modules and have DIYed similar before - though I'd never seen the AND function on the output (Step1 and clock) - that's a great addition as my modules hadn't been able to the 'clock through' function.

My two cents is that you could use the full divide by 10 possibilities - personally I love having things that aren't your regular binary multiples (four beats, repeat four times, ad infinitum, etc). Just takes a rotary switch with two extra notches - connect Step10 for 9 beats or leave totally open for 10 beats.

Polyrhythmics!

yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:

Yes it will be available at Bridechamber's but not until next fall from what I understood (and also the Logical module)

etaoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, (I haven't finished my panel yet, so haven't tried it), but it's probably fast enough to divide down square waves in the audio range as well, retaining pwm?
yusynth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not tried it in the audio range, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work... The pulse shape of the original is maintained that means that after dividing you add more and more blank steps and consequently the PW ratio diminishes proportionaly (it becomes a narrower pulse with respect to the repeating period).
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot to post my 2U Frac panel layout...
I opted for the 10-step divider suggested by bugs.

yusynth_clockdiv.jpg
 Description:
Yusynth Clock Divider
 Filesize:  126.26 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

yusynth_clockdiv.jpg

yusynth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Etaoin

This photo will soon appear in the gallery section of module's page.

Thanks

Yves

etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, it works great. I now finally have a module that can sync the MFOS sequencer from a 24ppq clock! A lot of modules can't clock the MFOS seq for some reason.

Now all I need to do is add a remote reset to the sequencer...

yusynth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I have updated the circuit, I changed the values of R39 and R40 to higher values in order to have a higher input impedance for the reset input.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i took a look at the schematic an i wonder, what is the initial status of the LEDs with no clock connected? are they "on"? or do the diodes do the trick? i am not quite sure about that.
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
i took a look at the schematic an i wonder, what is the initial status of the LEDs with no clock connected? are they "on"? or do the diodes do the trick? i am not quite sure about that.

Dark, in fact they can only lit when both the input clock is high and the 0 output of the counter is high. The diodes D4 and D5 and the resistor R9 act as a logical AND gate. This way, when no clock is connected no signal is available at the output and the LED is dark. When the rotary is on the first position (/1) the LED pulses at the clock rate and the output is a copy of the clock signal (same rate and same PW).

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
fonik wrote:

Dark, in fact they can only lit when both the input clock is high and the 0 output of the counter is high. The diodes D4 and D5 and the resistor R9 act as a logical AND gate.

thank you very much for the quick reply and clarification, sir.

great idea to use the 4017 for that purpose, yves!

littlem4tt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a fantastic little module. I have made a eurorack version (12v), once again by taking the original pcb design and using photoshop to cut the circuit in half to create a new footprint. Thanks again Yves!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.69 KB
 Viewed:  8922 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.42 KB
 Viewed:  134 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpg

littlem4tt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would also like to add that sending audio through it works great and you can get new timbres just by dividing down. For example passing my system x osc through it makes it sound more like a Juno 106. Pulse width stays fairly intact more noticeable on scope than ears though so usable. Plus you have the added ability to jam inversions.
For those interested, playing a c5 note gives you these pitches out:
In, c5 original pitch
1/2, c4
1/3, f3
1/4 c3
1/5 g#2
1/6 f2
1/7 d2 (slightly sharp)
1/8 c1

So much fun to be had!!
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts