electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
If you need to blow off some steam....
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: If you need to blow off some steam.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...then this is one way!

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That guy is way too slow to destruct his stuff, it's impossible to get a 100% score, besides he refuses to self destruct Shocked
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had to play it twice to get this score Rolling Eyes

stress-head.jpg
 Description:
my score!
 Filesize:  70.41 KB
 Viewed:  191 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

stress-head.jpg

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
...it's impossible to get a 100% score,...

Well, nothing is perfect... Others have gotten a 100% (not me though). Perhaps you simply haven't built up enough pressure. The frustration you get from a low score might just carry over to the next round Very Happy

@ seraph : Don't worry, be happy...

DJ
--
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I closed the page before time was up. I've had my own real cubicle freakout, lol. It wasn't fun.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
The frustration you get from a low score might just carry over to the next round Very Happy

Shocked no not at all Laughing

Ah well it's spam anyway Evil or Very Mad

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I've had my own real cubicle freakout, lol. It wasn't fun.

At he place where I work every once in while someone will explode, actually there are several signs of this in the building .. when you know where to look ... No it's not fun exactly, but it does have a function as long as there is some follow up.

DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah well it's spam anyway Evil or Very Mad

Uhm... what is?

Anyway, no humans should ever be placed in cubicles. Unfortunately there are even worse things out there...

At one place I worked, the company got a big hall. In the middle of the hall a one storey 'building' of glass-stones was made. Inside it were the upper management offices. On top of it, the developers were placed, together with the sales staff with no dividers, just a sea of desks. The sales staff was a cocky lot of noisy twenty year olds, ringing a ships bell every time they got a sale. On the floor around the glass-stone thingy the middle management was placed in an 'open landscape'. Everywhere in the hall cell phones were ringing constantly, and at any time you could hear several telephone conversations and salespeople and management chatting away. Bad acoustics meant you could hear the rustling of paper right across the hall. There was around 45 managers and salespeople in the hall, making the working conditions unbearable for the 5 or so people that actually did any work.

Oh, and this was the most positive things about this company... it was such a crazy and useless place. If nothing else, I got a selection of almost unbelievable anecdotes out of it Rolling Eyes

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Uhm... what is?

The game, it's meta spam even, it spams a spammer, I mean the page it's on states that the person who wrote the game is "freelance Flash designer and viral game programmer" of profession Wink

And it starts with an addie, but the first time only it seems.

Sorry for being so sensitive ... must be a personality disorder .. but it's harmless mainly to others I think.

Quote:
On top of it, the developers were placed, together with the sales staff

Laughing that's pretty nuts already, the rest you typed just makes it surreal. I'd quit ... or end up nursed somewhere in a nice quiet environment.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My psychiatrist recommends that I do not work in a cubicle environment, and I agree with him. It's torture for me.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should mention probably that I have a very decent room all for myself at work; I mean ... it's larger probably than my living room and bedroom at home combined .. now if only I would be allowed to pull the phone.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
.. but it's harmless mainly to others I think.

Hm. Not necessarily Laughing

Quote:
Laughing that's pretty nuts already, the rest you typed just makes it surreal. I'd quit ... or end up nursed somewhere in a nice quiet environment.

The environment was surreal, the operations, policies and intrigues were surreal. I eventually escaped into a neighbouring building (where I happened to live) together with a colleague. We just pulled some UTP cables across. Mind you, I did 'go crazy' after a few years in the thick of the dot com, and it changed my perception of Life, the Universe and Everything Very Happy

DJ
--
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
It's torture for me.

I have full understanding for that. Can't blame you for bailing out of the cubicle freakout game thumright

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mainly I said ... I kill virtuals only anyway.

I know what it's like to go mad on the job, even when it was a long time ago for me .. but I didn't have the nice room then of course, and the company was constantly on the edge going down under those days. Fortunately though it has never been anything like what I call I a "sick company" ... those can be pretty bad indeed.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Inventor wrote:
It's torture for me.

I have full understanding for that. Can't blame you for bailing out of the cubicle freakout game thumright

DJ
--

Amen Brother!

I have a theory. You're not productive for the first 20 years of life, and after retirement you don't work. So say 35 of a 70 year life, or half is spent not working. The worker must bear this burden by doing the work of two people for 35 years. So everybody is under at least a 2X double-boiler of pressure all the time. Just an observation.

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
My psychiatrist recommends that I do not work in a cubicle environment, and I agree with him. It's torture for me.

Ha! At least your psychiatrist can make a recommendation! Mine is quite sharp, and she doesn't know what to tell me. I can write lucid volumes about how it seems like none of the people in my life make any sense, and how my situation is such that I can't go anywhere. I'm probably more analytical of my mind, behavior, actions, circumstances than she is (although she is of course not so close to my problems).

And I work in an warehouse which is a festering pit of bigotry, neurosis, and psychic violence. Also, my mannerisms peg me as eccentric, so it takes me years to even find any work at all. I have destroyed posessions and structures... I think I just need to leave the continent.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe try another doc. What medications has she tried?
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Maybe try another doc. What medications has she tried?

I don't know what medications *she* has tried, but I don't want her giving any to me!

My idea of psychiatry is that it is a matter of solving cognitive problems. But 99% of the practice turns out to be convincing people or drugging them into being happy with what really are stupid situations! I hate to come off as sounding really self-righteous, but there is this populist bent to it that goes: "it makes perfect sense that most people are naturally selfish, backstabbing creeps who can't discern between symbolic constructs and reality. If you could be more like them, your life would be much easier."

Funny how "statistically normal" is never a great argument where other health issues are concerned. Maybe I should be more overweight and have less stamina? If the norm isn't great, and you deviate from this norm in a good way, it is usually considered an advantage! But with mental health everything is so *normative* that if I feel it is a good thing to not fall prey to obvious instinctive and emotional problems, then *I* appear to be "maladjusted". Funny how if you can demonstrate that most people are delusional, and either exploit it or otherwise accept it as a good and normal thing, then there are no problems. But if you suggest that people are encouraged to act like simpletons and that instead they should be encouraged to wise up, to be more deliberate, then people get very concerned.

Isn't it funny that I can look in my local phone book, and find hundreds of professionals who offer to help people with emotional solutions to emotional problems, but nobody offering therapy services as a logician? People around here are never taught logic, dialectics, or about basic linguistic problems which people always appear to succomb to.

This is how I blow off steam! I'm done ranting. That flash game just called me a nutter, so I guess I am good at it.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey CJ, Lots of good thoughts in that post, there's really one that stands out, it's your stance on meds. Contrary to popular belief, Prozac and the like do not drug you out and make you feel good. There is no high. They all work in different ways, but they do things like replace missing brain chemicals and block the uptake of those chemicals, allowing them to build up naturally. In my case, the drugs are simply adding a brain chemical that I am missing, so I will need to take them for the rest of my life. Without these drugs, i would degenerate into a fit of angry social observations like you just demonstrated. This is the natural consequence of lacking that brain chemical.

So you see, meds have their purpose, and if you're not taking advantage of that tool then you're not swinging at the beast with both hands, IMHO. I welcome your response.

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Hey CJ, Lots of good thoughts in that post, there's really one that stands out, it's your stance on meds. Contrary to popular belief, Prozac and the like do not drug you out and make you feel good...
...This is the natural consequence of lacking that brain chemical.

So you see, meds have their purpose, and if you're not taking advantage of that tool then you're not swinging at the beast with both hands, IMHO. I welcome your response.

I suppose I sounded a bit cynical, psychiatric med usage often sounds a bit "THX1138" for me. Not that they make a person feel high, but accepting of what they otherwise would not. IMO psychedelics are probably far more useful, as they allow one to get outside of their usual frame, but they do deplete serotonin.

I wonder if, in fact, these neurochemical problems are natural at all! IMO it is more probably due to a person's interactions constraining their own natural way of thinking. As if your job/community/government/etc has a smaller scope for you than your own brain does, so it gets groomed (metaphorically!) like a sort of bonsai tree. It is not anything empirical, but I would not be surprised if in a very different culture, your problems might change or even disappear. If a an aspect of a person's nervous system is inhibited from the outside, on a regular basis, it is bound to affect a person.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, there have been many social influences that have enhanced my own psychosis, I am certain. There are reasons that smart people get disorders like mine, one of them being that society imposes a penalty on being different. Without conformity, the social order is destroyed, so society inherently attacks someone who is different. Despite the popular notion that unique individuals are uplifted by an enlightened society, what people aspire to is far different from the way they behave in the working environment. This "culture of abuse" that the unique person lives in has a long term effect that can enhance underlying psychological issues and worsen them, as is my case.

Let me say this: I was in the nightmare of a schizophrenic breakdown when I discovered medication, and after a year of trial and error my doc found the magic stuff that heals me. Now I do fairly well for a lunatic, thank you very much and especially thanks to the meds. I'd recommend giving meds a try, based on the issues you are describing, it's a gamble but the odds are with you for a change. Well, that combined with psychotherapy. Please keep us posted on your progress or ask if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: