electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Making Toys for Musicians
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Making Toys for Musicians Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I drilled a handle into my guitar so I could move it around easily. In another Schmooze thread Seraph identified a similarly designed Ibanez guitar. Then I looked up the Ibanez Steve Vai guitar. It was over $2000.00 US. This is the cheapest guitar I know that has a handle where I drilled it on my Chinese Fender Strat.

I'm planning to add an electronic device that senses guitar motion, plus custom software to control effects that way. With complete cabling and adapters, etc, I figure the guitar might be worth something.

Plus I have added a chainmaille guitar strap of fixed length...

So I'm looking at this half-completed guitar and I'm thinking: What a cool toy! I could sell this thing, once it's done, for more than I paid for it probably. And now I'm thinking about getting into the biz of upgrading guitars and all sorts of red flags and bells go off about getting into the business world and all that nightmare. My question to you is:

a. Do you Schmooze that I have a viable product?

2. Schmooze you that I should do it?

You do Schmooze, do you?

Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I smurf you should first smurf a few more cheap guitars and smurf them for your own little collection of smurf'd guitars@ Very Happy

Then, if a lot of friends and or fellow musicians say they like 'm, sell 'm or borrow and smurf their guitars into cool birthday presents!

I enjoy circuit bending things to give to people, selling them would spoil the fun!
If you design something good and unique and useful to a lot of people, it can be made into a product. I enjoy following the process of diy products, that started as a great fun and became very popular and great toys. I recently started reading about the monome, to give an example!

Good luck, have fun! Smile

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, i got your vibe. Let's say I do this: i create this smurfy guitar, right? Still gotta do that. Then I send it on a world trip, shipping it to Europe, UK, etc. and eventually maybe even getting it to you. The only requirement is that next recipient must pay shipping forward. Deal?
Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool indeed!

That plan reminds of the 'disque de la poste'... a friend sent some minidiscs into the world years ago with a small note attached. Fill a small part of it with your own music and then send it to someone else, if you receive a full disc send it back to the original mail recipient.

Worked great.. now he is busy setting up the 'bit de la poste', but I'll start a topic on that one soon.

Maybe this guitar could be modified along the way, adding stickers, changing the electronics, paintjobs, relicing, whatever..

..I'm thinking out loud again.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander wrote:
Very cool indeed!

Maybe this guitar could be modified along the way, adding stickers, changing the electronics, paintjobs, relicing, whatever..

..I'm thinking out loud again.

Yeah, I'm cool with that. Of course that leaves me without a guitar but hey, it's all in the name of insane guitar mania, eh? I was thinking that the first recipient should be Justin of justinguitar.com, what a cool dude! Then perhaps to some brethren of ours in UK/Europe, BobTheDog? I dunno. Just a thought.

Maybe I'll make a video of me pretending to fling it out on the ocean (i live by the pond in Miami) would be cool. The guitar that travelled the world. gotta get the hi-tech stuff on it first.

Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We should make 'travelling gnome' pictures and post them on the forum!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander wrote:
We should make 'travelling gnome' pictures and post them on the forum!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy

That's the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned those discs, but maybe it's just because that's my favourite film ever.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I slept on it for a while, cleared my head, and woke up to the realization that I almost sent my one and only guitar on a traveling gnome trip. I suppose the trip could be possible if it made sense. For example, if it would up in the hands of some music notables like the one I mentioned above as well as lowly minions like ourselves, then that would be cool. And I guess I'd want to set it up so that I either got a guitar or got this one back, cause dude, I don't even have a girlfriend, do you really think it's good for my sanity to give up my one and only guitar as well? The only curvy, responsive, thing that I can make scream and moan or purr like a kitten if I want, and I should give that up? What was i thinking?

So the trip is possible but we gotta think through the details first.

Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's start with getting everybody into that 'bit de la poste' project.. you start modding and collecting squires! Very Happy

It was all in good fun!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander wrote:
Let's start with getting everybody into that 'bit de la poste' project.. you start modding and collecting squires! Very Happy

It was all in good fun!

You got it, I've got stuff to add to your bit de la poste, let me know when...

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: