electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
The TE-1 step sequencer project
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
terjewinther

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: The TE-1 step sequencer project
Subject description: A very advanced step sequencer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WintherStormer and Terje Bakkeløkken are making a custom step sequencer with everything you can imagine. We took all the good ideas we could find from moog, PPG, Roland and others, and put it into one gigantic step sequencer that could do it all. It even has some brand new features noe found on any other step sequencers, and almost everything will be voltage controlled - even skip.
Details here: http://home.no/modular/
We have already used the prototype live, and it really works great.
Feedback appreciated.

Terje Winther
WintherStormer
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a pretty interesting sequencer to me. Are you going to develop this as a DIY sequencer or do you want to sell units?
terjewinther

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Looks like a pretty interesting sequencer to me. Are you going to develop this as a DIY sequencer or do you want to sell units?

Not quite sure right now. Originally we just wanted to build 6 for ourselves, but we have had several requests from people who wants one already, so we might consider making additional units.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

terjewinther wrote:
Not quite sure right now. [...] so we might consider making additional units.

Thanks, please keep us informed, it's interesting.

johans121

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any updates???
terjewinther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: TE-1, now with TE-2
Subject description: Companion module

johans121 wrote:
Any updates???

Yes, there has been some work on the companion module, the TE-2. This will have som control and logic. The prototype has also been developed further and tested some more, both at a synth-meeting as well as on another concert. The webpages will be updated the coming week-end.

Terje Winther
Erik Stormer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: status Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, stus is:
1 prototype are beeing build, yesterday I started soldering on the trigger bd.
This will be implemented asap and then goto jack and switches (they are just jumpers today) and the frequency/bpm counter (it's a seperate module today)
Then before christmas Terje Bakkeløkken will get it and work with implementing all 7 segments

seq controller, I have draw the scematics and Terje Bakkeløkken has asked me to use some other input on the pic
I will have build the first prototype before christmas and Terje Bakkeløkken has some code ready and I hope that during end of December Terje Bakkeløkken will have it up and run.

He has already much code ready for implenting midi into the master clk module.

Sell it ? numbers to be made ? when will it be finished? yep
To build 2 to me and 2 to Terje Bakkeløkken is one thing, but to make all pcb AND DOCUMENTATION at a level that pcb may be sold is a HUGE difference.....
And how many are interested to spend THAT much money on a step seq.

lunch
Erik
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: status Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erik Stormer wrote:

Well, just have a look at all the Klee threads Wink Those boards were quite easily sold and many more are interested, I've heard.

So if it'll be a PCB run, with reasonable PCB price, I think people will be interested.

Just tease the e-m people with pictures, more mp3 samples, schematics and videos Cool

However, I'm a little scared of the wiring Shocked Wink
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: status Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
Erik Stormer wrote:

Well, just have a look at all the Klee threads Wink Those boards were quite easily sold and many more are interested, I've heard.

err- yeah lets not confuse things here. The big difference between the Klee and a 'normal' sequencer (which I presume is what is being offered?) is that the Klee was an advancement in design. I think there are demands for another analogue sequencer, but I think they are limited. Why? because software based sequencers (like Max/msp and the like) have taken design possibilities to a new level, and people looking for hardware are looking for some that little bit extra and special. There was that sequencer that came out a couple of years back- the Zeit model, which if I am correct, despite being interesting, flopped- mainly also I think, due to price.

The Klee has been a great success because of many reasons but I think the main reasons for this have been that;

a) the price was right- ie it was cheap

b) it is a kit, and component kits were also offered

c) Although, the basics had already been mentioned by Don Buchla, it was Scott's genius that has made this unique product a reality.

d) -possibly most importantly- its designer, Scott is a moderator here on EM and gets involved with conversations. Scott also posted an awful lot of mp3 demos which have really helped in the marketing of this unique instrument.

Of course this isn't here to put you off, just to help you think hard about the marketing of a new device Smile

BTW, I should also mention that MFOS also have a cult following here, and MFOS also do a sequencer. But again, don't let that put you off- may the best man win, so to speak! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Pehr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I've seen the TE-1 in action and it's not just another 8 step sequencer. It's very cool with all the actions that happen at each step, next step, action at step note length and so on Cool

But I was assuming a DIY version and not ready made units... Wink

However, it is PIC-based so it requires some programming and burning, which I don't have much experience with... Confused

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does sound (again pardon the pun!) like a very cool sequencer!

Kits could be a good way to go, because they keep manufacturing costs down- and of course the DIY crowd would love to hear from you guys! Wink Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Pehr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
It does sound like a very cool sequencer!

Yes indeed Cool Very Happy

SkinMechanix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
There was that sequencer that came out a couple of years back- the Zeit model, which if I am correct, despite being interesting, flopped- mainly also I think, due to price.

Err, I'd like to quickly point out that the ZEIT model is absolutely NOT a FLOP.
Indeed, ZEIT is very much alive and well and still in production.

Just because we don't scream about our products from the rooftops, doesn't mean that it's a dead duck. Smile

In fact, we're just about to introduce the retro rack mounting version and, before you ask, they're all spoken for.

Check out http://www.infectionmusic.com

David

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never said it was a 'flop'. I said it flopped. Evil or Very Mad

edit; but hey! You're back! Very Happy

SkinMechanix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I never said it was a 'flop'. I said it flopped. Evil or Very Mad

edit; but hey! You're back! Very Happy

Flopped, flipped. flupped. No matter. ZEIT is here. It ain't vapourware anymore. That's what counts. Smile

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do any of these sequencers work like what I call Boolean Sequencing? I put Boolean Sequencing in my Guitar Lab software and it works very well. What you do is, you derive a logic expression from the counter bits in a certain way (using a matrix of buttons), then you only play a note if that logic expression evaluates to true. The note frequency comes from assigning a numeric value to each term of the logic expression and adding terms that are activated. It made a few good tunes for me, and we had a discussion of it here on the electro-music.com forum. Just wondering if the Klee or others works that way...
SkinMechanix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boolean produces some interesting results. I'm listening to the sequences on your web page and they're not like anything I've ever heard before.

I've implemented what we call cyclic (or sub) sequences in ZEIT in that you impose a sub pattern over the top of the original sequence. For instance, if you have a 16 step sequence moving in the forwards direction i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... then imposing a cyclic or sub pattern (0, 1, 2, 1) over the top of it produces some interesting results.

1, 3, 5, 5, 2, 3, 6, 6 etc.

This is great for adding apparent complexity to the simplest of sequences. If you want to have a listen to what it sounds like wander over to the IML web site. There are a couple of good examples illustrating what this technique can achieve.

Meanwhile, I will go away and ponder on how Boolean sequencing can be implemented... Smile

D.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SkinMechanix wrote:
Boolean produces some interesting results. I'm listening to the sequences on your web page and they're not like anything I've ever heard before.

Why, thank you very much! I have found that by drawing geometric patterns on the logic matrix of Guitar Lab, I am able to create pleasant rhythms with surprising complexity. Further, if two instruments have similar logic matrix selections, they will sort of co-operate by playing similar notes, yet also have unique voices by playing different notes. It's kind of cool, you make 20 to 50 mouse clicks and you have a complete working song from it.

SkinMechanix wrote:
Meanwhile, I will go away and ponder on how Boolean sequencing can be implemented... Smile

D.

Great! Let me know if you need any further explanation of my particular interpretation of Boolean Sequencing, or if you would like to run my software to get a feel for how I implemented it. I hope you can work it into your projects or products.

Erik Stormer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: TE-1, now with TE-2
Subject description: updates

all updates will be done at:

www.stormermusic.com

a lot will be updated the next few weeks

the old url will not be updated

working at det vcclk and seq.controller part to be implemented in the seq.

regards
Erik
lexvortex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: TE1
Subject description: I want it :)

If you decide to sell it, I will buy it Cool
ach_gott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never understood how to order a Zeit, myself. AH never had any in stock, and the website was unclear as to what was available, delivery times, etc. Oh well, I got an Octopus and am quite pleased.

I would definitely buy these, but I'm not really interested in burning a PIC and the amount of wiring does give me pause.
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: