electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Nord Modular - Hybrid is cool
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Nord Modular - Hybrid is cool Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the Nord Modular is a cool compromise. Actually, it is the best of both worlds. It is fully programmable from the PC with a fantastic user interface. It is fully portable and runs without the computer when you go on the road.

I have an old Moog IIC modular system. I love it dearly, but the Nord Modular is a much better instrument.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Soft vs. Hard Synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the most recent Groove Unlimited news from The Netherlands, Ron Boots (pronounced Boats) had this to say:

Quote:
- - - b o o t s o r b o a t s ? - - -

As a musician I am thinking of getting one of those fabulous modular synth systems. You know a wall of knobs and lights that often is seen on those live performances of old and new. For many may electronic musicians this is the ultimate dream. And during the thinking of why I wanted such a system I started to listen to new and old CD's which are based around the use of such instruments: Redshift, RMI, Boddy, Node and of coarse from the early days Schulze, Franke and Jarre were big users of these synths. And it struck me that all these albums they made have an electrified organic feeling. All sounds sound like they were sculpted as an accident waiting to happen. The vintage music of Klaus Schulze strikes me like that, although you don't hear it all the time, it is much based on the use of a modular system. I think on "X" (my favorite Schulze album) he used it for the sequences. Also on "Timewind", "Mirage" and both "Body Love". TD's Franke loved to use it during their USA tour where Encore was, as the result of massive sequencer stuff, loaded with feeling. My favorite these days is Node. Although already laid to rest as a group, in the single "Terminus" and the album "Node" something happens that gives me the musical shivers. Layer upon layer the music unfolds itself as a flower in bloom. Also Redshift have these magical moments on "Ether" and during the live concert I did with Ian Boddy, which led to Phase 3, he also marvelled me with his modular system and the sound and feeling he got from it.

So perhaps when we meet next time and you will see all these nice blinking lights behind me during a performance I will also feast myself on diving into this way of creating and sculpting sound. Looking forward to doing this and for now I will put Node's "Terminus" on again, after which Redshift's "Ether" and RMI's "Frozen North" will get a spin. In between will be Schulze's "Crystal Lake" and TD's "Cold water Canyon." What a nice Sunday I will have. Smile
Ron Boots

Marcel Engels (Free System Project) has and loves a synthesizers.com (commonly referred to as an Arrick after its maker) as do John Christian and Peter Ruczynski of AirSculpture. There MUST be something to the organic nature of using the real thing. But my wallet and back love my tiny Nord Modular. I'll get a modular when I win the lottery! Laughing

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have thought about looking for one of the Nord Modulars. I have played around with several modular softsynths - but the benefit of having the DSP or actual sound generating hardware outside the computer makes a lot of sense.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES said:
Quote:
I have thought about looking for one of the Nord Modulars. I have played around with several modular softsynths - but the benefit of having the DSP or actual sound generating hardware outside the computer makes a lot of sense.

Especially if there are a LOT of knobs to control the various parameters of a sound. For portability, Clavia's Nord Micromodular is great despite requiring an external knob device to gain control over enough parameters to have sufficient control. Clavia's Nord Modular (keys or rack) has an array of 18 knobs. I find this sufficient for most things but often enough I wish for more knobs. With the Nord Modular G2 scheduled for release this summer, there may be a lot of Moulars and Micromodulars about to hit the used market, potentially at prices that might be wallet-friendly.

Grant Middleton of Under the Dome ( he played at the Hampshire Jam I attended in October, 2001) uses KeyFax's PhatBoy MIDI Controller ($249 at http://www.keyfax.com/keyfax/storephat.html ) to control his Micromodular. I'm sure that there are plenty of other MIDI controllers out there. This is something I should investigate. I already have a Peavey PC1600X slider box that needs to be put into use.

Cheers,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Prices have already come down significantly for the Nord Modulars.
Even though I'll be getting the G2 when it comes out, I'm not sure I want to sell my expanded rack NM if I can only get $500 for it.

Concerning knob/fader boxes, I think the Peavey is the best and works very well with the NM. Much better than the phatboy, for about the same price.
For a less expensive alternative check this:
http://www.cdbm.com/shop/detail.cgi?id=122386
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greg said:
Quote:
Prices have already come down significantly for the Nord Modulars. Even though I'll be getting the G2 when it comes out, I'm not sure I want to sell my expanded rack NM if I can only get $500 for it.

I'm drooling for the G2, too. But I may settle for the 1U G2 rack, some knob controllers, and a keyboard controller (or just use a synth I already have as a controller). Sometimes I think about trading my Nord Modular Keys for a NM rack. (G1? NM Classic? Whatever!) I'd keep my expansion card for the rack if the rack didn't already have one. I think a road case with a NM (G1) rack and a G2 rack would be killer!
Quote:
Concerning knob/fader boxes, I think the Peavey is the best and works very well with the NM. Much better than the phatboy, for about the same price. For a less expensive alternative check this:
http://www.cdbm.com/shop/detail.cgi?id=122386

Great looking little unit. The manufacturer's web site is:
http://www.evolution.co.uk

Cheers,

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here another is another small midi controller. It's not as cheap, but I've seen several used at concerts in Philly. Apparently they work.

Get it here!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget the digital mixers - a lot of them offer a midi controller mode. i have a Spirit digital 328XD and in controller mode I have 16 sliders, 16 rotary controls and 32 push buttons that can be program for darn near anything. I used to have a PC1600 - great little controller and it has one of the brightest backlights for the LCD that I have ever seen! It worked real well with the Peavey Spectrum Bass and Spectrum Synth (both of these sounded kind of like oberheims).
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This web-based hypertext document is intended to provide the advanced user of the Clavia Nord Modular synthesizer with a toolbox of techniques for creating complex and interesting patches. Although the emphasis is on the Nord Modular, the techniques described in this document can be applied to any modular synthesizer, from a modular Moog to the Native Instruments Reaktor softsynth.
http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After Howard´s performance here in Trondheim, I have only good things to say about the Nord Modular.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/FMsynthesis.html

FM synthesis on the Modular!

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an outstanding article. I had the great pleasure of meeting Rob in London at the Modular 2003 conference. He gave a terriffic talk about the new Nord Modular G2. He is, in my opinion, The Master when it comes to analog synthesis. I used to think I was a master, but now I've reassesed myself and it's apparent that I'm just a humble student.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:

Concerning knob/fader boxes, I think the Peavey 1600X is the best and works very well with the NM.

I found the following links:

JSynthLib is an Open Source Universal Synthesizer Patch Editor / Librarian written in the Java Language (supporting the Peavey 1600X)
http://www.overwhelmed.org/

Here are some presets for the PC1600x MIDI COMMAND STATION
http://users.pandora.be/at0m/pc1600x.html

PC1600x Manual (in Adobe Acrobat .PDF format, 5 Megs)
http://216.29.21.69/krhen/pvc/Files.htm

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: