electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Audacity 1.2.2 released
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Audacity 1.2.2 released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audacity 1.2.2 is a new stable version of the free Audacity sound editor. This release includes new features such as level meters, multi-file export, and lower latency for multi-track recording. It also includes many bug fixes.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I use this sound editor. It's easy to use and very reliable. I highly recommend it. It's great for those simple straightforward recording jobs, like recording G2 noodles and live performances. Great for making mp3s on oggs. Nice effects. This program is getting better and better. I'm glad to see this. Congrats to the developers.

This is great software because it runs on virtually every platform, MAC, PC, and LINUX. Yeah...

Well, it's true I get 50% of each purchase, but I'm unbiased nonetheless...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was playing around with Audacity and found a neat built-in effect, the FFT Filter. You can pretty much draw up any equalization you want, with as many points on the frequency response graph as you care to put in. Cool

fft-filter.jpg
 Description:
Audacity FFT Filter plugin
 Filesize:  52.96 KB
 Viewed:  8695 Time(s)

fft-filter.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love Audacity! Especially since I dual boot WinDoze & Linux. It's the best freeware editor out there...and it's getting close to what CoolEdit/Audition (though Audition is my all-time favorite...if it only had MIDI I wouldn't need Sonar!).
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I love Audacity! Especially since I dual boot WinDoze & Linux. It's the best freeware editor out there...and it's getting close to what CoolEdit/Audition (though Audition is my all-time favorite...if it only had MIDI I wouldn't need Sonar!).

Well, if you look at the Audacity web site, they are working on MIDI.

So, you run Linux. Do you do and music/audio work on that platform? Linux is my favorite OS, but I'm on XP most of the time becasue this is were the software is.
richardash1981

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having moved from windows to Linux for mastering up live gig recordings 12 months ago, there isn't much I miss on Linux. The tools are often very different (less GUIs, more command line tools you link together in scripts to do a job), but the core functions are still there, and GUIs are improving a lot, like audacity.

Linux makes it much easier to leave a machine working - set up all your mp3 or ogg encodes in a script and set it running while you are busy, and you can come back to find the whole lot done without worrying if the machine will crash.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome richardash1981

Yes, a Linux user! Glad to hear you are able to make it work. I'm an old Unix hacker, since 1978 believe it or not. I can see how a script would be great for processing a live performance. Once you get "your sound" down, just run the script and everything is just fine - I'd think.

Maybe we should start a forum for music on Linux. Do you think there is a need for this? Would it be of value? I guess there are already other places for this, but if it would help, we can always add a forum here.

On the end of October, I'm going to get the Linux server we've been running this site on for the last 14 months back for personal use. I was thinking of setting it up as a music workstation.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Do you do and music/audio work on that platform?

Let's say I'm in the middle of migrating. Many editors/tools I have only exist on windows. But many of the things I'm after are better suited to linux: algorithmic sequence programming, networking to other sequencers & sensors, etc. The new 2.6 linux kernel has some great realtime enhancements, so it is increasingly becoming more responsive than "standard" kernels. There are also now two different "distributions" for audio/multimedia: DeMudi/AGNULA & Planet CCRMA. DeMudi is based on Debian (or is geared to attach to a basic Debian install), while CCRMA is geared toward Red Hat/Fedora. Both have also been run on other distros.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
http://www.agnula.org/
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:

http://www.agnula.org/

I was surprised to see that on the "AGNULA Who's who" there are not one but two institutions based on my hometown: Florence, Italy

http://www.agnula.org/project/agnula_who/

Rolling Eyes ....if only I knew what you are talking about head banging monitor dunno

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe this is for the wishlist, but since OSX is based on BSD Unix, you'd think it wouldn't be to far of a stretch for Linux to get a G2 editor as well! (Both operating systems are POSIX, etc). Though there are probably very few people who use linux today in the music biz.

I would love to see a Linux forum, geared toward electro-music! There are many forums on Linux, and linux/audio, but I don't think there are many geared toward electroniuc music that are not also related to a specific program (such as C-Sound or Audacity). It'd be nice to hear from other Linux users about the programs they use, kernel settings, etc., since it's very likely we would be after the same thing.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I just created a new forum called Music on Linux, under the category Instruments and Equipment. Maybe it would be better in the How Tos catagory, what do you think. Justin, would you be willing to be the moderator of this?

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/forums.html?c=3
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: